should i bother applying

so i am a junior at Rutgers university, i am thinking about applying to NJ PA schools and some NY schools, I have a great GPA (3.85) with most of my pre reqs for PA school done except for anatomy and physiology which i plan to take this summer at a community college, i will be shadowing this winter break for about 100 hrs to get some experience. my problem is i don't have healthcare experience as in i haven't done the typical emt or phlebotomy, rn anything. after winter break, i plan to work in a physical therapy office (but would that count as health care experience) and plan to finish 200-300 hrs but my question is i heard that most PA schools value health care experience, my problem is i wanna apply this summer and not wait till next april to show my health care experience should i still apply? i have done many community service projects but they are not directly health care related, most have to do with education. 

I applied my senior year of college with no health experience and got exactly zero offers to even interview. I graduated, worked an entire year gaining HCE and applied this cycle. I've received interviews from 5 out of 8 schools I applied for. I only attended 4 interviews and so far have two acceptances and I am waiting to hear back from the other two programs (one I'm pretty sure is going to be a flat out rejection). I found it very valuable that I applied once before this cycle even though I knew my chances were super slim. It made applying this cycle so much easier because I knew what to expect and how much time the application process takes. If money isn't an issue for you I would apply. You never know what can happen! And if you don't get in you'll know exactly what you can do to strengthen your application.  

Always apply! if you have the money to burn.  You miss 100% of the shots you dont take.  Apply to a bunch.  Maybe you will get a few interviews, and if you do it will prep you for next cycle if you do not get acceptance.  You'll know the interview layout and what questions to expect.  I bombed my first two interviews (quinnipiac and stony brook) but my most recent two I felt were flawless and it was my first two interviews that prepped me for the others. And I got accepted to the other two less than a week after interviewing with them.

Always apply, because you still might fit the bill for what they want in an applicant.

I second what the others have said above, but I would look at your top schools and research how they feel about reapplicants. If your first choices require low HCE but average high HCE and look down on reapplicants that may change your decision on whether or not you want to try applying before gaining more HCE.

Archived