Occupational medicine for a PA??

It depends on how it is set up. I for years worked for a governmental entity that by definition would probably be considered occupational medicine but my job consisted of employment physicals, DOT exams, wellness exams, and minor sick calls. All in all it wasn't bad. The only problem was it was a local governmental entity and politics were always entering into the equation, This is not a good mix.

most of the civilian ones are folks trying to scam you for long term disability after fairly minor injuries. these are the same guy who you see years later on full disability in the er after rock climbing/parasailing/extreme sports injuries....

there are some folks with real injuries but they seem to be the minority, at least in my experience.

My $0.02...I work as an EMT, and our company sees an occupational medicine PA. Yes, there is definitely his fair share of "put your big girl pants on" lower back pain, but he also sees needle sticks, patient body fluid contacts, legitimate illnesses, etc. His clinic is also a busy, inner city clinic who works with several larger companies as well as ours. 

So I would say that the bottom line is that it depends on where you work and who you work with. 

Archived