For the 2014 applicants/those accepted

I am just finishing up my associates so have a ways to go before applying, but just moved to the GR area to be ready for transfer to GVSU for my bachelors and hopefully, get accepted in the GVSU PA program. My problem now is that I am looking for HCE. I cannot find a job up here that doesn't require at least 6

months experience for a CNA. I haven't certified yet due to financial restrictions (i.e. not completely sure how we are going to give our kids a Christmas or early year birthday presents...yeah. Getting my certification is lower priority.)

Anyway, my question is -- what HCE did you have? Position and # of hours? I'm planning to start volunteering at Catherine's Health Care soon and they seem to be on board with helping me gain some experience, patient care and a good possibility of shadowing the PA's and Dr.'s there.

This is the part that is really giving me anxiety. It isn't the $$$ loans, time, interviews, etc. Its getting all I need to even consider applying and being competitive.

Thanks for your reply!

Hi! 

Besides being a PCA, I've also been a lab assistant/ phlebotomist in the hospital for several years. When I was in this position, I trained several people who had no experience at all. I don't know if the hospitals in GR do that, but it would be well worth looking into. It's great experience - you get to go all over the hospital, learn tons about lab values and diseases, you meet all kinds of patients, and get some great hands-on experience. 

All through my undergrad I worked as a lab assistant in a clinical research facility (not sure if there are any of those in GR, but it wouldn't surprise me). I draw blood, do vitals, EKGs, etc. It's also been pretty good experience - I get to read all the protocols (which I did not understand at all a few years ago, but after all my science classes, I can understand most of it), I deal with a lot of very interesting people who subject themselves to research, and bug the docs all the time about the medications that the test subjects are getting. While the test subjects aren't technically  patients, we have to monitor them very closely, just as you would with real patients, and sometimes they have adverse reactions,so you have to know what to do. 

I hope this helps - Good luck!  

Archived