Getting into PA school as an engineer?

I started college as a pre-pharmacy major but I transferred out west to study mining engineering.  I like the major but I am feeling the need to keep my options open in case I change my mind again (I miss my friends and family and want to go back to my old school). I have a full year of biology and lab (B average). I am taking chemistry starting next semester and am looking into taking genetics and physiology next year or ill take them over the summer. 

My question is: Is it possible to get into PA school with an engineering undergrad degree?  I have good prospects at my current school but I really miss my school and I could easily go back to my old school and major in either biology or geology+general engineering.  But then I don't know how it will look if I transfer AGAIN (Yet ill be going back to my old school).

So will it look bad if I transfer twice?  I mean would it mean I am unstable?  If I explain the situation to an interviewer I'm pretty sure I can make them see my side of the story.  But I miss my family.. I mean for Christ sake im out here in the country away from my family an friends and it sucks.. I'm getting depressed and I don't know if I can take this for another two years.  I gave it a leap of faith but I think I will be going back next year if I can even make it to the end of this year.

So will it look bad if I transfer twice?  I mean would it mean I am unstable?  If I explain the situation to an interviewer I'm pretty sure I can make them see my side of the story.  But I miss my family.. I mean for Christ sake im out here in the country away from my family an friends and it sucks.. I'm getting depressed and I don't know if I can take this for another two years.  I gave it a leap of faith but I think I will be going back next year if I can even make it to the end of this year.

it's not a problem if you transfer twice. just meet the prereqs, keep a good gpa> 3.2, get some serious hce and you will be fine.

OK I just applied for transfer, it's almost a certain admission.  I will get some HCE because there are a lot of hospitals around campus.  I will be majoring in Geo Eng and I will try and get some healthcare experience.  Gonna be really busy these next few years!!

I was an engineer -- for decades! -- before I became a PA. It's actually not a bad background because It teaches you how to address and solve problems. You can do this if you want.

From your words, I am a bit concerned that you kind of go off half-cocked at times. Wildly changing your major every few months may indicate you don't think things through. There is no reason you can't finish your degree, take the right prereqs, and get some experience to be sure you know what you're up to. 

Take a breath. Make a plan, Finish something. Live your life... You've got time!

It seems that I was babbling when I wrote this.  Not thinking clearly.  I was really depressed and thinking of going back.  But now I see it wont do me any good.  My best friend is going back to Rutgers but I already commited to stay out here. 

I need to man up now and finish it.  I will start taking the pre-reqs at my school.  Thankfully my school offers the pre-reqs.

I love both fields.  I like engineering because you do interesting things.  I want to be a PA because I feel that I will be happiest doing it.  SO I will just do both. 

Thanks everyone.

By the way what constitutes as health care experience? And how many hours are ideal. 

I got a B+ in Bio 2 and a C+ in Bio 1.  I am taking Chem 1 this next semester and will definitely get an A.  I am not taking anything less than an A in any of my science courses from now on.

As of Right now I have 4 schools on my mind. I am not interest in going out of the NJ/NY region after my current experiences with the country.  I am looking at Pace University, Long Island University, SUNY, and UMDNJ.  I would ad GWU but I got a C in my bio 1 class so I can't even apply now lol.  SO I will start my HCE in spring semester, there is a hospital about a mile from my apartment.  My school doesn't have many biology classes so I will take some either at the adjacent campus or back home in NJ.

Thanks everyone for the input.  Im sticking it out at my school, I take my disadvantages here as a challenge now.

Thanks.

Glad that you have a plan. You are allowed to change it as you go, of course!

Not sure where you are, but, if you are really "out in the country" then you might be able to get some experience as an EMT, perhaps for a volunteer EMS unit. It's a good way to find out if patient care is for you.

Good luck!

Archived