More Patient Care Experience?

regarding scribes, I have worked with them extensively before at 2 different jobs. when they are provided free by the hospital I will use them. when I have to pay for them I prefer to do my own documentation as I think it is as good if not better than the scribes documentation.

I can see the value of scribing as shadowing and learning to multitask but as far as hce I think there are far better ways to learn to work with patients. just my opinion.

• Administrator

In my mind, the best education model is cyclical: learn some, do some, learn some more, do some more.  Each time you're touching a patient, they get the benefit of all the accumulated knowledge, and each time you're in the classroom, you get to fit that knowledge into the context of all of the patients you've touched.

So mixing up scribe work with EMT-B work would be a great combination--certainly far stronger than scribing alone.  Diversity of experience is another key aspect of life--I don't understand getting any more than 20 hours of shadowing doing one thing--It'd be better to get a lot of shadowing in a lot of different areas rather than focusing on only one.

Archived