Accelerated BSN before PA school due to low GPA? thoughts?

Hello!

This is my first time using this forum, so bare with me. 

I have calculated my CASPA GPA according to the site and I pretty much have a 3.0 overall GPA with a 2.85 Science GPA. This science GPA does not factor in the Microbiology, Pharmacology, Anatomy II, Ecology, Phyisics I & II, Biochem that I have left to take....and to be honest its really NOT going to boost my GPA anymore than a 2.9 MAX (I have calulcated given that I get Bs or so). Lastly, I will graduating "officially" this summer of 2013 with a bachlors in biology. 

I want to also mention that I have a some what good "pre-med" background before actually deciding that I wanted to go to PA school, which was last year or so. Late decision on my part, I know. Luckily, many of the classes that I had were required for PA school...until I researched further that you need microbiology and biochem, among other classes (depending on the program) as a pre-req ._. 

Here is some of the things I have done:

- Research Assistant for the Hospitalist Project at the University of Chicago Medical Center (Internship 2012-2013)

- ED Medical Scribe (Nov 2012-present)---> my clinical experience

• Collecting pertinent data and managing emergency physician medical charts
  • Observe the ED physician during all patient encounters and perform documentation on the physician’s behalf
  • Monitor the duration of medical testing results, such as blood and urine test, x-ray, and CT reports
  • Specialize in medical data entry in order to document the patient’s history, physical exam, lab results, procedures and physician consults

- Global Medical Brigade (January 2012)

- Executive board for 2 pre-health organizations at my school (hugh at my school)

- Student Government for my university (2011-2012)

- Volunteer at 3 different hospitals throughout college career (approx. 100 documented hours)

other stuff that I don't consider important....

- Sorority Vice President/chapter member (2009-2011 at first insitution before transfering) 

- Studied abroad in Italy for one summer

- Worked at various jobs every year since I was 16 yrs old.

I also just recieved 2 recommendations from PA's and DO's, 1 from my research department, and working on 1 from a professor or pre-health advisor. 

I also have a few W's on my transcript. 

So with all that said, should I just go ahead an apply for PA school or just get into an Accelerated BSN program/msn program and work(or don't), then reapply to PA school right away. 

- I saw on CASPA that nursing classes count towards science GPA as well, just a thought. 

Getting a masters degree in anything science related to me sounds pointless and a waste of money. What if I don't get accepted to PA school? Then I'm left with 2 pointless degrees that can't get me a job anywhere REGARDLESS of the fact that I go to a good school. oh and i'll still be further in debt also... lol. 

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

IMO from what I know about nursing, definitely go for PA school, especially if its what you want to do anyways. PA school takes many things into account aside from GPA - GRE, LOR, interview, service/other activities, and direct patient care hours. BSN programs and especially the accelerating programs (at least the ones I've looked into) put a HUGE emphasis on GPA and then just require that you pass the nursing test (TEAS is a common one) but don't put as much emphasis on the other aspects. I also think PA school still looks at undergrad GPA regardless of other degrees, so like you said why have two degrees you don't want and spend all that time and money?

I elected to complete an accelerated BSN program to increase my cumulative and science GPAs, and gain healthcare experience for PA school. My reasoning went as follows:

1. I would be able to experience nursing education and practice first hand and decided if I truly preferred PA over NP (in my case, the answer was ABSOLUTELY).

2. I would have incredibly valuable work experience and believed that the knowledge gained while working would allow me to feel comfortable with my clinical skills.

3. I would be able to contribute financially to my family while accumulating experience. 9-12 dollars/hr as a CNA would not have made a dent in my prior undergrad loans.

4. Successfully completing this program shows that I have a strong work ethic and desire to succeed. 55 credits of classroom and clinical experience in one year is a lot. If you can complete this program with an above average GPA, I'd say you put yourself in a pretty great position.

5. Worst case scenario, I would have a pretty solid career to fall back on. While I don't LOVE nursing in general, I fell into a position as an OR RN right out of school and I actually really, really like what I currently do.

I was recently offered a spot at my first and only choice PA school on my first attempt. I am happy with every decision I made to get to this point. I'm sure there are schools that are ok with BSN to PA and others that aren't, but from my point of view, I see the ABSN programs as a smart move.

Good luck and I Hope you make the decision that is best for you!

I considered doing an accelerated BSN also, in large part because I felt I wasn't a competitive applicant and also because I had many pre-PA friends not get accepted their first year to PA school. Like others have said, schools look at many components of the person and not just GPA(which is still important). There are schools who will remove the worst grade if you've retaken classes and one school I applied to, only uses 6 classes to calculate your GPA. My advice would be, if you want to be a nurse or would be happy as a nurse for a long time, go that route, but if you really want to be a PA, at least apply your first year and see what happens. Focus on your strengths (live experience, HCE, ect.) especially in your narrative. If you don't get accepted the first year, apply to some accelerated nursing program the second year and apply to PA school again that year too. If you don't get into a PA program the second year, that is a very good sign, you may not get in without doing something like nursing first. If you don't get in to PA school your second year and do get into an accelerated nursing program, then at least you will know you made the right choice. Also if you go right into a PA program, you won't have nursing school debt to add to you PA school debt.

I elected to complete an accelerated BSN program to increase my cumulative and science GPAs, and gain healthcare experience for PA school. My reasoning went as follows:

1. I would be able to experience nursing education and practice first hand and decided if I truly preferred PA over NP (in my case, the answer was ABSOLUTELY).

2. I would have incredibly valuable work experience and believed that the knowledge gained while working would allow me to feel comfortable with my clinical skills.

3. I would be able to contribute financially to my family while accumulating experience. 9-12 dollars/hr as a CNA would not have made a dent in my prior undergrad loans.

4. Successfully completing this program shows that I have a strong work ethic and desire to succeed. 55 credits of classroom and clinical experience in one year is a lot. If you can complete this program with an above average GPA, I'd say you put yourself in a pretty great position.

5. Worst case scenario, I would have a pretty solid career to fall back on. While I don't LOVE nursing in general, I fell into a position as an OR RN right out of school and I actually really, really like what I currently do.

I was recently offered a spot at my first and only choice PA school on my first attempt. I am happy with every decision I made to get to this point. I'm sure there are schools that are ok with BSN to PA and others that aren't, but from my point of view, I see the ABSN programs as a smart move.

Good luck and I Hope you make the decision that is best for you!

I wholeheartedly agree with your reasoning for going the A-BSN route, but such a path raises several questions that are currently plaguing my decision to do the same. The nearest and most feasible A-BSN program for me will at the very minimum, take 2 YEARS TO COMPLETE. Unfortunately, there are no programs under this amount of time where I am from. For this very reason, I shutter to think of taking on another 60-70K in debt. I'm not saying I wouldn't do this, as I completely understand that certain sacrifices must be made in order to achieve what you most desire, but if that is the case - I would most certainly stop the damage right there and continue working exclusively as an RN. I cannot imagine pulling out 70K+ for nursing and then another 100K+ for PA school. I must ask, was money not an issue for you and assuming it was, would you have made the same decision? Just to clarify, I am looking at it from the perspective of the student whose desire is to use the RN as a pivot/stepping stone into the PA profession.

Thank you and my apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread. I hope that this is a question that you may have wanted answered as well.

Money was definitely a concern but I was able to attend a local public university that offered a one year program. In state tuition in FL is incredibly affordable so my debt was significantly less than what you would end up accumulating. I can confidently say that if I had been looking at taking on another 60-70k for the nursing program, I would not have done it. I think the increase in payments for my student loans would have eaten up most of my salary bump!

Tough decision you have, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

$170,000 is way too much debt to justify becoming a PA. I'm assuming you already have some student loan debt so it'd probably be more than that plus interest.
Lets look at some rough numbers
Salary $100,000 annually as a PA
Subtract $30,000 for taxes
Subtract 10% for retirement
Monthly Salary: $5000
200k of debt on a 10 year plan: $1666 a month
Your monthly pay is now $3,334

That's assuming you make 100k, you could make 80-90k. You'd probably pay more in taxes than that, and there is no interest factored into that student loan payment which of course there would be in reality.

If I were you I'd get an ADN or some other associates degree in health care such as paramedicne or respiratory therapist. That way you still have higher level HCE but can take out loans for 7k instead of 70k, and still have a back up career.

$170,000 is way too much debt to justify becoming a PA. I'm assuming you already have some student loan debt so it'd probably be more than that plus interest.

Lets look at some rough numbers

Salary $100,000 annually as a PA

Subtract $30,000 for taxes

Subtract 10% for retirement

Monthly Salary: $5000

200k of debt on a 10 year plan: $1666 a month

Your monthly pay is now $3,334

That's assuming you make 100k, you could make 80-90k. You'd probably pay more in taxes than that, and there is no interest factored into that student loan payment which of course there would be in reality.

If I were you I'd get an ADN or some other associates degree in health care such as paramedicne or respiratory therapist. That way you still have higher level HCE but can take out loans for 7k instead of 70k, and still have a back up career.

Thank you for the detailed construct, it really opened my eyes. I'm now afraid of even going for just the A-BSN especially if it's going to cost $70-80K. I know this is completely off topic, but I must ask - how do attorney's justify going to law school? How is one (making under or around 100K) ever suppose to pay off 200K+ in debt, raise a family, and live within their means?

To the OP: I myself am doing an accelerated BSN (12 month program) prior to PA school to accrue more robust clinical experience. Many PA's I've spoken with have said they wish they would've had better clinical experience coming into PA school than they did, remember the goal of PA school is to compound and build upon what, they assume, is already a solid foundation of medical knowledge and bedside manner. I think going the BSN route is an excellent choice IF: 1) You can get a 11 or 12 month program and 2) said program is a state school which can give you in-state tuition or a private school that is at least less than 34-40K for the year. Outside of these conditions, the previous posters are right it's hard to financially justify it as unfortunate as that sounds. It also depends on your age, family situation, current debt, what state you live in, what PA schools you're considering, etc. Also, like you alluded to, doing a Master's in a science related field to boost GPA is likely superfluous for PA school, but maybe justified if you were leaning more towards medical school. Another option could be to go through an EMT program while working as a scribe, this could give you excellent clinical experience IMO and is significantly cheaper and could give a slight boost in GPA.

Again, it all depends on you and your time line, family / living situation and really importantly where you want to go to PA school. With the scribing and other experiences you have now (assuming you have enough hours) you may be able to squeeze your way into a program that puts heavy emphasis on HCE, but if you're looking towards more competitive schools with higher GPA cut off's the accelerated BSN might be the way to go as it will give you a big GPA boost, yield amazing HCE and almost assure you acceptance somewhere when you eventually go to PA school. Don't shy away from it for fear of appearing that you "used nursing as a launching pad to PA school" you can easily spin that into "I didn't feel mature or ready enough to tackle PA school at the time and I wasn't entirely sure about my direction in medicine yet and I wanted to develop my clinical sense. I completely respect nursing as a profession and value it as an integral part of the healthcare team, it's just not where I fit in in the long term and I know that now blah blah blah" which isn't really that much spin anyways. Hope the book I just wrote helps in some way, good luck!

Archived