MOUNT UNION PA INTERVIEW/Acceptance 2013/2014

Accepted, but not attending.  In my opinion area is pretty dumpy with very little, to no diversity.  I stayed in a hotel and could hear a man and women next door cussing, and using some harsh racial slurs.  The Akron area did not leave me with a good impression-- did not feel comfortable at all.  I'm sure the school produces competent PA's (most ARC-PA accredited schools do), but I think besides the Cleveland Clinic, you will get little experience with socioeconomic, racial, and religious diversity here.  Besides Sharon Luke, I felt that most people at the school were pretty standoff-ish.   

Meeting with current students made me feel like ANYONE could become a PA at Mt Union.  Which may be a plus for many young applicants who are in a rush.

Also the PA program is the only "graduate-level" program the school offers.  So basically you are going to school where you will be immersed in an educational environment with 19 year olds-- if thats what you want.  

I am by no means intending to "bash" the school, but only give an accurate account of my personal experiences in the area.  Everyone is different of course.  With that said, do you want to be a great PA, or just a PA?  

Good things about the program: it was very clean, director is amazing, on the cheap side, Cle Clinic rotation is cool, very small community hospital down the road.  

Accepted, but not attending.  In my opinion area is pretty dumpy with very little, to no diversity.  I stayed in a hotel and could hear a man and women next door cussing, and using some harsh racial slurs.  The Akron area did not leave me with a good impression-- did not feel comfortable at all.  I'm sure the school produces competent PA's (most ARC-PA accredited schools do), but I think besides the Cleveland Clinic, you will get little experience with socioeconomic, racial, and religious diversity here.  Besides Sharon Luke, I felt that most people at the school were pretty standoff-ish.   

Meeting with current students made me feel like ANYONE could become a PA at Mt Union.  Which may be a plus for many young applicants who are in a rush.

Also the PA program is the only "graduate-level" program the school offers.  So basically you are going to school where you will be immersed in an educational environment with 19 year olds-- if thats what you want.  

I am by no means intending to "bash" the school, but only give an accurate account of my personal experiences in the area.  Everyone is different of course.  With that said, do you want to be a great PA, or just a PA?  

Good things about the program: it was very clean, director is amazing, on the cheap side, Cle Clinic rotation is cool, very small community hospital down the road.  

i went to the school interview and I did not have any negative impression about the school or Akron as a whole. I have been accepted to 2 schools  and 1 interview on the way but I chose this school because it has the lowest number of class. 

I prefer a class of 30 students to a class of 90 students. smaller classes encourages one and one time with the professors. As for the man cussing near you, anybody could be cussing anywhere. I stayed in a hotel too. the cheapest one at that, and I did not hear anyone cussing or shouting out harsh remarks.

I met with the current students and did not feel that ANYONE can attend. I even interviewed with an applicant that that was her 3rd year applying. if Anyone can attend here, why hasn't  she has  been accepted. Out of 800 or so applicants they chose 30, that does not seem like anybody to me.

The staff i interviewed with were the best people I met. And there was no standoffish behaviors towards me.

I have never been to the north and my only drawback to Akron  the cold. 

so what makes you a great PA is you and the dedication you have for the practice.

I am just giving my opinion and my experience. its kinda weird that it differed enormously from yours.

Interviewed at the end of Oct and I am still waiting to hear something ...

yea hang in there, as people starts turning down their seats more seats will be available . I heard of a student that did not hear any thing until march (but they were wait-listed). I will give them a call and see what they have to say.

i went to the school interview and I did not have any negative impression about the school or Akron as a whole. I have been accepted to 2 schools  and 1 interview on the way but I chose this school because it has the lowest number of class. 

I prefer a class of 30 students to a class of 90 students. smaller classes encourages one and one time with the professors. As for the man cussing near you, anybody could be cussing anywhere. I stayed in a hotel too. the cheapest one at that, and I did not hear anyone cussing or shouting out harsh remarks.

I met with the current students and did not feel that ANYONE can attend. I even interviewed with an applicant that that was her 3rd year applying. if Anyone can attend here, why hasn't  she has  been accepted. Out of 800 or so applicants they chose 30, that does not seem like anybody to me.

The staff i interviewed with were the best people I met. And there was no standoffish behaviors towards me.

I have never been to the north and my only drawback to Akron  the cold. 

so what makes you a great PA is you and the dedication you have for the practice.

I am just giving my opinion and my experience. its kinda weird that it differed enormously from yours.

Hmmm... that is very interesting.  Maybe its because we are different people and you have no prior knowledge of Akron.  I have friends with family in Akron and have been there several times and whenever I go they insist on never living in the area if I had a choice.

And I know about smaller class sizes lol.  If you were so keen on them why did you apply to school with class sizes of 100 and not schools all small class sizes??  

This was my first PA school interview. I initially thought I loved it there, but after interviewing at 2 other schools I know it was not a good fit for me at all. It is all personal preference. I do not think the school is "bad" but I know for myself I will be happier at a different school. I know the students coming out of there are all just as qualified as any other school (We all have to pass the same boards!). I eventually want to live small town, like mt. union but I think I would get better experience in a city or location with more hospitals (example:columbus, pittsburgh, toledo, etc...). Mt. Union is the cheapest program I have seen. Significantly cheaper so people will come out with less debt. I did not fall in love with the staff, which is very different from the other schools I interviewed at. I felt like there was a wall up at Mt. Union where they were strictly in interview mode versus giving me any feel of their personalities. Congrats to those who got accepted and go there! It is an accomplishment! 

This was my first PA school interview. I initially thought I loved it there, but after interviewing at 2 other schools I know it was not a good fit for me at all. It is all personal preference. I do not think the school is "bad" but I know for myself I will be happier at a different school. I know the students coming out of there are all just as qualified as any other school (We all have to pass the same boards!). I eventually want to live small town, like mt. union but I think I would get better experience in a city or location with more hospitals (example:columbus, pittsburgh, toledo, etc...). Mt. Union is the cheapest program I have seen. Significantly cheaper so people will come out with less debt. I did not fall in love with the staff, which is very different from the other schools I interviewed at. I felt like there was a wall up at Mt. Union where they were strictly in interview mode versus giving me any feel of their personalities. Congrats to those who got accepted and go there! It is an accomplishment! 

Toledo tuition : The tuition rate for full-time graduate students (out of state) in the UT PA Program for Spring semester was $11,201.00, with corresponding total expected expenses for Spring semester of $19,404.60.  For a UT PA student who entered the Program in August, and graduated in December, the total tuition only cost will be $25,859.  The tuition rate and other fees varies by number of credit hours and year in the Program. 

Mount union.

Entire 27-month PA  program

2014 Entering Cohort Class

$63,770

NAU.(RESIDENT)

First Year          Second Year     Total

Tuition   $13,124     $     13,124              $26,248
Fees       $9,000             $9,000             $18,000
Student Fees $312       $312                 $624
Total         $22,436        $22,436           $44,872

mt Union is not the cheapest PA program. I honestly wish it had been. 

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I am from a current interview class (to start 2015). I was wondering if anyone here knows if someone was accepted/waitlisted much later than they interviewed. I interviewed 2 months ago and have yet to hear any response. Typically I would associate the delayed response time with a negative outcome, but I am looking for any first hand knowledge. Thanks!

Archived