I work in Alaska.  I have several collaborative plans and I was led to believe, by one individual that I needed separate DEA numbers for each, recently.  This was a surprise to me and I can't really find anything online that can verify this for me.  I am not working in more than one State, but am working in more than one PRACTICE within the State of Alaska.

Has anybody ever heard of needing more than one DEA number (staying within the same State)?

I work in CA and used to work for a practice with 5 clinics, each one dispensed Controlled Substances, schedule III.

I had 5 DEA numbers, one for each site, that the practice paid for.

You need a DEA for each site that DISPENSES Controlled Substances.

If you just write Rx's, then you only need one for the state.

"DEA has provided a limited exception to this requirement in that practitioners who register at one location in a state, but practice at other locations within the same state, are not required to register with DEA at any other location in that state at which they only prescribe controlled substances."

so I've done a lot of research on this and according to dea's website, you need a separate DEA license for each site you work out where you distribute control substances. so my interpretation is that if you work in 2 hospitals for instance, you would need to licenses. I'm working on having a medical lawyer review this within the next couple weeks because I don't wanna spend 700+ for a new one, but also don't want to be in violation of DEA policy.  here is a link to the DEA's explanation... 

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/locum_tenens.htm

• 1 month later...

I had two DEA's, one for each state I worked in.  I let one lapse since I haven't worked in that state for about a year.  But when I had it I worked at multiple sites within two systems and it was not a problem. 

My first job on a reservation gave me the option of getting a free DEA since I was working with a federal tribe and on tribal lands, BUT I could not use that DEA license at any other facility.  So I opted to pay for the license so I could use it anywhere.

I think the free DEA's are no longer available. To the OP...are you on tribal lands and in an IHS area?

I work in CA and used to work for a practice with 5 clinics, each one dispensed Controlled Substances, schedule III.

I had 5 DEA numbers, one for each site, that the practice paid for.

You need a DEA for each site that DISPENSES Controlled Substances.

If you just write Rx's, then you only need one for the state.

This is the best answer to your question.  I have 2 DEA numbers in the same state.  Clinic #1 is my regular job.  Clinic #2,  I may have to dispense samples of controlled substances (including Lyrica and Lunesta).  When I quit my locums job, I was stuck with 2 DEA licenses so I called the DEA rep in Seattle (which is the one you have to call if you're in AK) for clarification.  Call them.  If you are working at two facilities, shouldn't the employers at each facility pay for the licensing fees anyway?  

I beleive rules for Writing RX and dispensing medications are not the same. I worked two different specialties, diferent practices in one state, called DEA and they said only needed one license. Both sites registered with DEA. Collegue worked for one employer in ortho, three clinics, (one across state line), he needed two DEAs.

Yes, the rules for dispensing and writing Rxs are different. My point was - if you are dispensing scheduled meds, then you'll need different DEA numbers at each facility. If you're only writing Rx and not giving samples, not dispensing and you work in one state, you'll only need one DEA license.

According to the DEA, "dispensing" includes the act of administering and prescribing either as individual or combined acts.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/802.htm

Archived