Should I take a Statistics course if I've taken Calc 1 and 2 before?

Take statistics. Several schools require it and if you did well in Calc 1 and 2 statistics is a cake walk and will help your GPA anyway. I just took an online course.

Thanks for your reply aivi.  I'm taking a load of classes next semester so I wanted to be absolutely sure that I'd need statistics.  I was talking to a cousin and apparently SUNY Downstate waived statistics as a requirement for him because he, like me, had taken calc 1.  I'm looking to apply there as well but it isn't my only option.  I'd rather take statistics now then worry about not meeting another school's requirement later.  I'd obviously prefer not to take it so I can focus on my other classes, so I guess I'll wait for more of your suggestions.

In a way, statistics is like medical terminology in PA school. You may need it if you have to do a thesis, but more importantly, every drug study you will ever read will talk about things like p values, and the like. I had a lot of math in engineering and still found that there were things to learn in a statistics class. The math part will be relatively easy for you, but the vernacular will be important to learn.

• 1 month later...

I would definitely recommend it. Like egolong said, its a great foundation course for helping you to understand studies, scientific papers, etc. 

It is commonly offered online, although I recommend that you take it in person if you are not great with math, just because it will be easier to ask for help and clarification if needed.

Archived