What specialty do you recommend new PA grads start with??

I was hoping you guys could give me an opinion on what specialty new PA Grads should start with? What specialties are more open to hiring new PA grads and will give a new grad a bit of training/guidance. I know some specialties may be too much for a new grad to handle at first until the new grad gets more experience. Night or day shift for new grad? Thanks for the feedback.

general

general medicine

-er, urgent care, FP, office based, peds, 

General Surgery - if you are the surgical type

I think specializing early in your career is a less the good thing.... learn the basics so you can always fall back on them...

Family medicine!! You will solidify what you learned in school and still get to do a lot of procedures, like biopsies, treat acute patients, etc. (so you could still do EM, urgent care, derm afterwards without a lot of training). Also- a big benefit that they don't really emphasize in school- get an NHSC repayment award to pay off those loans! Then find your dream job.

A lot of people are against loan repayment for the NHSC bc they say if you specialize, you will make a lot more money anyway. Not really true when you are a new grad. Many family practice jobs will pay 90,000 in the right area. Add a 60,000 dollar check to that for two years of service- can't beat that. And no- they aren't only on Indian Reservations : )- but that's cool too...

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me how competitive the NHSC loan repayment programs are? I am debating between education loans or borrowing from my home's equity. The intrest rate on my morgage is much lower then an education loan, but if the NHSC loan is a realistic goal, I think it's a better option. Any advice?

Can anyone tell me how competitive the NHSC loan repayment programs are? I am debating between education loans or borrowing from my home's equity. The intrest rate on my morgage is much lower then an education loan, but if the NHSC loan is a realistic goal, I think it's a better option. Any advice?

couldn't hurt to try but NHSC is competitive. "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived