Loan repayment programs

Hi there. Long time no post. I am about a year out from graduating my PA program and the foul breath of tuition is already starting to breath down my neck. I'm interested in working in a setting that provides loan repayment so that I'm not a slave to education bills for my whole life. Texas, my place of residence, is filled with underserved populations, but I've not been able to find any solid leads through word of mouth by other students, faculty, etc. on how to pursue such opportunities. Can anyone here lend some advice? I'd like to do family medicine / primary care, preferably in a rural setting... from what I understand, this goal should be pretty darn compatible with "serving the underserved". I'd be stoked to hear from someone with insight on the manner. Thanks!

Hi there. Long time no post. I am about a year out from graduating my PA program and the foul breath of tuition is already starting to breath down my neck. I'm interested in working in a setting that provides loan repayment so that I'm not a slave to education bills for my whole life. Texas, my place of residence, is filled with underserved populations, but I've not been able to find any solid leads through word of mouth by other students, faculty, etc. on how to pursue such opportunities. Can anyone here lend some advice? I'd like to do family medicine / primary care, preferably in a rural setting... from what I understand, this goal should be pretty darn compatible with "serving the underserved". I'd be stoked to hear from someone with insight on the manner. Thanks!

Start here: http://www.hrsa.gov/shortage/find.html

I don't personally, but perhaps some others here can help.  The basic process is that you apply for loan forgiveness and the awards are based on how "underserved" the geographical area you choose to work in actually is, based on the HRSA point system.  It is competitive. Actually, it is very competitive.  You get a certain $ amount each year toward your loans.  Most all of your loans can be paid off (depending on circumstances), assuming you stay in that area long enough.  Search the forum for more information or call them - when I called a while ago, they were actually helpful (go figure for a gov't institution).

I don't know your situation, but if you are able, the more remote and underserved of a population you can find, the better.  Two reasons. (1) better chance of getting your loans paid off (based on score), and (2) you can get some fantastic experience (Ask emedpa - the more remote, the more you see and do). I'm a SNP and hope to work in such an area.  The loan payoff thing isn't as big of a deal to me as I'm getting a very nice scholarship already from HRSA via the AENT grant, but I do have some debt.  I think my scholarship is based almost purely on the fact that I am within driving distance of somewhat underserved areas. It was a 2 page application that required me to comitt to...nothing.  :)  Nonetheless, I plan to work in such areas (which is the entire reason I decided to become an NP).  Regardless, the money will likely be there for you if go to the right place when you graduate.

What specialty are you interested in?

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/index.html

Lots of info on the national loan repayment on this site. Job site is also great, but getting a job that qualifies doesn't mean you WILL get awarded for loan repayment. Recommend site HPSA score of 16 or greater based on recent application cycle to be most competitive for loan repayment. Highly recommend searching forum for more info, there are lots of threads on NHSC. 

There are also state loan repayment programs, indian health service, etc. 

Does your school host meetings about the HRSA scholarship and loan repayment program? Mine does. It sounds to me like you're too late for the scholarship and would just have to go for the loan forgiveness program? Last I heard, the repayment program is getting twice the number of applicants as spots available. The scholarship funds about 10% of people who apply. For loan forgiveness and to have a better shot, get employed at a place with a score in the 20s.

Archived