Niche job?

Does anyone worry about taking a job that is such a niche that it would be difficulty finding another job down the road?

I am currently in FP - but have been on several interviews for a sub specialty within a specialty - peds cardiology that only sees electrophysiology issues.     If the details of the job work out - it could be an interesting position.    I do worry that I will paint myself so far into a specialty corner that it will be difficult to change jobs in the future. 

Thoughts?

As I'm only a PA student, I can't really chime in that much on that.

I do know that at my previous work (drugs/research) that there's no better job security that being so specialized and good at what you do that you're hard, if not outright impossible, to replace. My last employer did nothing but study cannabinoids for the last 15 years, and she has enough clout to negotiate annually for more funding.  PAs do have lateral mobility too, and your generalist FP experience will really help for whenever you want to transition to, broad or niche. 

You could negotiate in your contract to be able to work in an urgent care occasionally to keep up your FP skills, and then look for a part-time job, one weekend a month and keep your foot in the door that way.

If your are at the end of your career, say 10 years to retirement , I wouldn't worry about the niche specialty and go for it. 

I am in this boat - 6 years in a neurology practice where I see a fairly wide variety of patients but mostly neurodegenerative disease or epilepsy. I'm valuable where I am but am not sure how long I want to continue this for the rest of my career. Part of the appeal of being a PA is the ability to change jobs - whether one specialty to another or primary care. I recently interviewed for a primary/urgent care job and was told I don't have enough experience...so it does happen.

I've heard from a few PAs that moving from one specialty to another is more common

Does anyone worry about taking a job that is such a niche that it would be difficulty finding another job down the road?

It would make sense to me that if you already have experience in FP- then move into a subspecialty, lateral movement from there may not be as difficult as a new grad with only PEDS/CARD on his CV...?

I would second moonlighting at UC if possible just to keep those skills sharp.

Archived