Weekend phone call

I am negotiating with my current company about some weekend call on a prn basis. About once per month I will round in the hospital on Saturday and Sunday (about 6 hours per day). We have worked out the compensation in that regard but we still have one area that is a sticking point. They would also like me to take phone call for the practice on those weekends from 10pm-4am (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). It seems the calls should be on the low side but I am unsure what to ask for in regards of call compensation. 1/4of my hourly?, 1/2 of my hourly, weekday hourly rate or weekend (1.5). Just brainstorming. Thoughts?

24 hours of call is 1/4 daily rate - if you make $500/day you get $125 for call - but this is for ONLY carrying cell phone - does not include going in, rounding, or anything else.

This is a HUGE quality of life issue the docs and practices are trying to push on to the lowly PA/NP with out compensation.... WRONG

If it is not big deal then the docs can do it...... oh they don't want to do it? so then it is a big deal and needs to be compensated

In the IM world for a busy weekend of phone coverage (covering about 10 providers but never doing anything beyond phone coverage) I would Ask for $500-1000 (anything above $500 is gravy - in my my case it was a lot of NH coverage and they call A LOT!!

The local doc's offer each other $1000 to $2000 per weekend....

no idea outside of my little world though....

Thank you for the response.  I couldn't agree more about the call.  If it wasn't that big of a deal then they would do it themselves.  I am thinking that since the phone call is going to be overnight (the most inconvient part of 24 hours) I am going to try to get at least 1/2 of a day's/hourly pay.  I ran the numbers and 1/4 time is not worth three over night calls (Fri, Sat, and Sun @10pm-4AM).  Basically I would be getting crappy sleep for three nights straight for very little benefit.  This is excluding the rounding coverage Saturday and Sunday 8-2 each day at about 1.5x pay.

Archived