Interview's for 2014 - School specific tips

So, they don't ask you follow-up or secondary questions to use up the remaining time? You can't ask them questions or anything at the end?

Pretty much. They may ask for clarification regarding part of your answer but it is just one question per room. Then you sit there twiddling your thumbs or leave the room to wait for the next round.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much. They may ask for clarification regarding part of your answer but it is just one question per room. Then you sit there twiddling your thumbs or leave the room to wait for the next round.

Congrats aiviphung on your acceptance to Pacific University.  It is a highly regarded PA school and you will fit in well there.  I was wondering if you already informed Western of your withdrawal of your application.  I might seem selfish, but your withdrawal would open up a spot for the other applicants. 

Thanks

When I interviewed, the early morning (7:30am) people had the same scheduled ending as the late morning (9am) people. This meant that most of those in my cohort finished interviewing around 10am, with nothing scheduled until the 12pm tour. If you are in the early cohort, I highly suggest you bring something to keep you busy for a couple hours. Or skip the tour altogether (although this was the only real opportunity to speak to a current student).

Congrats aiviphung on your acceptance to Pacific University.  It is a highly regarded PA school and you will fit in well there.  I was wondering if you already informed Western of your withdrawal of your application.  I might seem selfish, but your withdrawal would open up a spot for the other applicants. 

Thanks

I have not withdrawn my application from Western. Although, my deposit is in at PacificU, I really don't believe in burning my bridges. At this point, I have already completed the interview process so no spot would be opened up for other applicants to interview if I withdrew anyway. Good luck to you though.

I have not withdrawn my application from Western. Although, my deposit is in at PacificU, I really don't believe in burning my bridges. At this point, I have already completed the interview process so no spot would be opened up for other applicants to interview if I withdrew anyway. Good luck to you though.

Fair enough - they don't review any apps until beginning of March  - usually that's a good time for a final decision. Again, congratulations on your acceptance!

I understand your thoughts of not burning your bridges.  That is actually very smart thinking.  I was not politely speaking about opening up interview spots for other applicants, as I already have an interview in February.  It would actually open up a acceptance spot for other applicants, as you are a very qualified student and I am sure that Western might offer you a position.  :-)

Good luck with everything.

I understand your thoughts of not burning your bridges.  That is actually very smart thinking.  I was not politely speaking about opening up interview spots for other applicants, as I already have an interview in February.  It would actually open up a acceptance spot for other applicants, as you are a very qualified student and I am sure that Western might offer you a position.  :-)

Good luck with everything.

It's very flattering that you have that opinion of me and I completely get where you are coming from but after going through all of this, I feel as though I deserve to know if I am offered an acceptance or not regardless of my intentions (or lack thereof) to attend Western. If the situation arises and I am offered a seat in the class and choose to decline, it will go to the next person on the alternate list and no harm will be done. I hope that makes sense.

Were the interview invites given out solely based on GPA and then later when everyone has interviewed they review our actual applications which include looking at experience etc?

I spoke to a first year student and he said that he didn't know this for his interview but they used a closed application approach. Meaning the interviewers knew nothing about you during the interview. I am assuming this means that they review your application later and only sent out interview invites based off of GPA. I am not entirely sure though. 

It's very flattering that you have that opinion of me and I completely get where you are coming from but after going through all of this, I feel as though I deserve to know if I am offered an acceptance or not regardless of my intentions (or lack thereof) to attend Western. If the situation arises and I am offered a seat in the class and choose to decline, it will go to the next person on the alternate list and no harm will be done. I hope that makes sense.

I understand completely.  You have worked very hard and do deserve to know if you were offered a position at Western. I will give you that.  Like I said before. Don't worry you will be offered a position. :-)

Good luck in all of your future endeavors. 

• 2 weeks later...

The information everyone has provided has helped me greatly because I am preparing for my Interview at Western University this thursday Feb, 6th and am extremely nervous!!! I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on types of questions asked? Was the interview more relaxed or uptight? And if there is two people at each station, why is there only 1 question asked per room? I emailed Mr. Haverkamp asking about interview structure and he had told me it was 5 mini interviews lasting 6 min each. If anyone can provide any additional information I would greatly appreciate it!

Hey all,

I am interviewing on March 5th, after reading this forum it looks like its actually MMI process rather than what the email says about you and a panel of 2 to 3 members interviewing you which i assumed will be like an regular interview process?? I am kinda confused?? And the folks who went to the Jan interview do u have any suggestions on means of transportation will be coming from Ohio therefore will I need to rent a car or do they have public transportation, also I am planning to stay for a day or two and explore the near by areas any suggestions would be of great help!!! 

@PAchick thanks for the info as I have am scheduled for 7:30 Am which means will be there until long time hmm will need to keep myself occupied if the tours will be at 12 PM! 

@StarPA I have been to an MMI interview process (if thats the format WUniversity is using)  I honestly felt that this format was more pressurized on me than the other kind as it doesnt give u much options to prepare, the school I interviewed at had 5 stations with questions which were ethical based scenario, general questions such as why PA and why our school  placed outside the room and then we were given 6 mins to express our view points by picking a stand on what we though we would do in those situations (for ethical based scenario), hope this helps.. Also I prepared myself by goggling MMI interview questions but at the end those 5 questions can be anything so I was never sure on what to prepare for.. 

Good luck to all!

Hey everyone!

Had my interview and here's what's going down. I know some of you are asking for exact types of questions/question types but as someone said before, they make you sign a confidentiality agreement that we aren't to disclose any info about the questions to others. Only the structure because you can easily call them and they'll give you structure info as well. Obviously we all wish that wasn't the case so we can all better prepare. But the fact of the matter is, no once can tell us what questions the asked. Having said that:

@StarPA

The information everyone has provided has helped me greatly because I am preparing for my Interview at Western University this thursday Feb, 6th and am extremely nervous!!! I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on types of questions asked? Was the interview more relaxed or uptight? And if there is two people at each station, why is there only 1 question asked per room? I emailed Mr. Haverkamp asking about interview structure and he had told me it was 5 mini interviews lasting 6 min each. If anyone can provide any additional information I would greatly appreciate it!

They tried to relax you before asking you the question. But they can only do so much. Interviews are nerve-racking. And some interviewers, in my experience, we a lot more relaxed than others. That made their particular interviews enjoyable, even if you felt you didn't answer your best. There were two people in each station so you get a more fair, less-biased, and mutli-opinionated (yes I made up a hyphenated word. Haha) decision based on your response to their ONE question. Having one interviewers that you don't mesh well with, can have adverse effect. But with two, hopefully you click with one at least. There is also only 4 stations. Not 5. And 6 min per station. You get a warning when you have hit the 5 min mark so you can wrap up your thoughts. Hope this helps. 

@patobe13

there are 4 stations with 2 interviewers each. 1 question per station and 6 min to answer. Definitely not a regular interview process. It's more of an MMI structure but with regular/traditional interview-type questions. 

Good luck everyone. 

Hey everyone!

Had my interview and here's what's going down. I know some of you are asking for exact types of questions/question types but as someone said before, they make you sign a confidentiality agreement that we aren't to disclose any info about the questions to others. Only the structure because you can easily call them and they'll give you structure info as well. Obviously we all wish that wasn't the case so we can all better prepare. But the fact of the matter is, no once can tell us what questions the asked. Having said that:

@StarPA

They tried to relax you before asking you the question. But they can only do so much. Interviews are nerve-racking. And some interviewers, in my experience, we a lot more relaxed than others. That made their particular interviews enjoyable, even if you felt you didn't answer your best. There were two people in each station so you get a more fair, less-biased, and mutli-opinionated (yes I made up a hyphenated word. Haha) decision based on your response to their ONE question. Having one interviewers that you don't mesh well with, can have adverse effect. But with two, hopefully you click with one at least. There is also only 4 stations. Not 5. And 6 min per station. You get a warning when you have hit the 5 min mark so you can wrap up your thoughts. Hope this helps. 

@patobe13

there are 4 stations with 2 interviewers each. 1 question per station and 6 min to answer. Definitely not a regular interview process. It's more of an MMI structure but with regular/traditional interview-type questions. 

Good luck everyone. 

Thank you that is very helpful and I will do my best to prepare. I have heard that their interview was very relaxed and enjoyable as well which has calmed my nerves a lot. I appreciate the feedback! I hope you get a seat in the class!

Car rental suggestion: A rental car from either airport (LAX or ONT) came to about $190 for 28 hours! I thought that was silly.

So I saved $$ by flying into LAX and renting a car through FlightCar. It is basically a car-sharing service where you rent a car that another customer has left at the airport. I got the 2nd cheapest car, they gave me a Prius, and I spent $6 in gas even though I drove all over LA (for funsies). The rental cost $50, including GPS and extra insurance. They are only based out of LAX, SFO, and BOS (not ONT). I was very happy with it and will totally do it again (though I don't think I'd ever give them MY car to rent out).

I have a referral code that saves you 5% off: GFQE (may not be very useful unless you rent more than a day).

Car rental suggestion: A rental car from either airport (LAX or ONT) came to about $190 for 28 hours! I thought that was silly.

So I saved $$ by flying into LAX and renting a car through FlightCar. It is basically a car-sharing service where you rent a car that another customer has left at the airport. I got the 2nd cheapest car, they gave me a Prius, and I spent $6 in gas even though I drove all over LA (for funsies). The rental cost $50, including GPS and extra insurance. They are only based out of LAX, SFO, and BOS (not ONT). I was very happy with it and will totally do it again (though I don't think I'd ever give them MY car to rent out).

I have a referral code that saves you 5% off: GFQE (may not be very useful unless you rent more than a day).

Yea renting a car is cheap if it's for long periods of time. I rented mine from my home state and used it for a 1 whole week for about a little over $200. If using it for a short period of time it might be expensive as you just posted. 

You got a great deal! What website did you rent through?

In my experience the location of the rental affects the cost the most. At many other cities a rental can cost $10-15 a day. At LAX and ONT the prices were over $80/day. Boston, Oregon, St. Louis, and Connecticut were all much cheaper, and they were all 2-day rentals.

You got a great deal! What website did you rent through?

In my experience the location of the rental affects the cost the most. At many other cities a rental can cost $10-15 a day. At LAX and ONT the prices were over $80/day. Boston, Oregon, St. Louis, and Connecticut were all much cheaper, and they were all 2-day rentals.

I rented enterprise back in Tx for a week

Hey everyone!

@StarPA

@patobe13

Good luck everyone. 

@PA4fyle thank you for the info!!! Good luck to you..

@PAchick wow thats a really good deal!! Thank u I will def rent it through them as I am flying to LAX since found cheap tickets for LAX.. and you are right renting a car depends on the location as renting a car in boston was cheaper for me than the deals i looked into for CA lol.. 

Plus I will there for about 2 days so renting is the best option!!! Thanks for the info really appreicate it.. :) 

If u dont mind me asking when u interviewed did they tell on how many weeks of rotations and electives u could take and if the program is soley looking for candidates going for primary  family or internal medicine or we are allowed to pick any electives we want for future practice?? And do u know on by when will they get back with the decision?? 

Good luck to u!! 

@PAchick wow thats a really good deal!! Thank u I will def rent it through them as I am flying to LAX since found cheap tickets for LAX.. and you are right renting a car depends on the location as renting a car in boston was cheaper for me than the deals i looked into for CA lol.. 

Plus I will there for about 2 days so renting is the best option!!! Thanks for the info really appreicate it.. :) 

If u dont mind me asking when u interviewed did they tell on how many weeks of rotations and electives u could take and if the program is soley looking for candidates going for primary  family or internal medicine or we are allowed to pick any electives we want for future practice?? And do u know on by when will they get back with the decision?? 

Good luck to u!! 

For me personally - no question about the program or what my goals in regards to the PA field was asked. They just wanted to get to know me (qualities etc) and know if I knew a  about the PA field. 

@Torshi - wow, that is one heckuva drive! You're way tougher than I am.

@patob - they get back to folks "end of March, maybe early April." They mentioned that your ability to chose distant rotations depends on your GPA. They don't have a super heavy primary care focus (students I talked to were considering other fields, too).

For more info on rotations:

http://prospective.westernu.edu/physician-assistant/clinical-11/

Another tip: if you are shopping for equipment, like I am, you mind find the bookstore helpful. They have all sorts of supplies, cuffs, and scopes, and you can see everything right there. There was even a staff member available to answer questions.

Good luck everyone!

Archived