Interview's for 2014 - School specific tips

For those of you that have interviewed already, did you guys use a majority of the 6 minutes allotted for each question? It seems like 5 or 6 minutes is a LONG time to talk uninterrupted. Should we aim for 2-3 minutes?

@djson

Remember, you only have 24 min to show them who you really are. 6 min for each of your 4 questions. So talk as much as you can while answering the question; let them know who you are. Some questions you'll talk for 6 minutes others you'll be done sooner. But as long as you're not just blabbing, talk about yourself and answer their question. You ONLY have 4 opportunities. Make them count. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the general schedule of the interview day at Western? Since it seems like the actual interviews would be about 24 minutes total, what did interviewees do before and after, how many total interviewees were there, etc?

Thanks for any feedback

There are about 50 interviewees per day, and about 25 in group 1 and about 25 in group 2. There are 9 days of interviews so around 450 students total.

Group 1

730 Check-in

745-815 Welcome/Admissions

815-850 Financial Aid

900-1030 Interviews

1200-1000 Campus Tour

Group 2

900 Check-in

915-945 Welcome/Admissions

945-1025 Financial Aid

1030-1200 Interviews

1200-1000 Campus Tour

I was in Group 1 and was glad that I had the second interview slot (9:30). I just left after this because I didn't want to have 2 hours of down time especially since I already went on the tour during Preview Day. Some students had the later interview times and basically had to just sit around and wait for their turn and then had to sit around and wait again if they wanted to go on the campus tour (which is your only chance to speak with current students).

Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate it. I know you can't be specific with the questions they ask but what is the best way to prepare for the interview? 

This year they are conducting 450 interviews. I had mine on Feb 6th and received my acceptance today! I would definitely recommend you purchasing the book "How to Ace the Physician Assistant Interview" by Andrew Rodican. I was told about this book by a friend who used it and got accepted into a PA program. I read it back to back and practiced the exercises and I was 10 times more prepared then I would have been without it! Good Luck!!!

Was there anything the interviewees' were supposed to bring or did bring to the interview? I was told that a notepad could be brought, but is it even needed? I wouldn't want to carry anything thats unnecessary

I brought a notepad, most people did. Mine was small so I carried it in my purse. A couple guys I saw brought briefcases. 

Thanks for the feedback, I brought a small notepad but ended up not using it. Thankfully, the interview process was pretty straightforward. Whatever decision is made, I'm glad I got the opportunity to experience it and get it over with. Congratulations to those who got accepted 

I had my interview at Western

What a disappointment

I flew to Onterio

Never mentioned in their website Pomona is the murder capital of California (WTF)

Get a Hotel outside Pomona

The “University” is a few building right next to the railroad. (WTF)

Never mentioned the school is no longer ranked in the top 100 schools in the country

Never mentioned the school has one of the lowest board passing rate in the country

The chairman is a nice guy but all he cares about is

a) you have enough money (about $120,000)

b) you already know everything you need to know to pass the board

c) I have a feeling the chairman is getting a lot of pressure from up above

The interview was very unorthodox

Multiple Mini Interviews

The interviewers had no idea what is the purpose of the interview

Instead of testing my logic, they were testing my medical knowledge !!!!

Worse was the counselor who was making fun of an applicant’s email !!!!!

I hope this is not the only place I get accepted

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had my interview at WesternWhat a disappointmentI flew to OnterioNever mentioned in their website Pomona is the murder capital of California (WTF)Get a Hotel outside PomonaThe “University” is a few building right next to the railroad. (WTF)Never mentioned the school is no longer ranked in the top 100 schools in the country Never mentioned the school has one of the lowest board passing rate in the countryThe chairman is a nice guy but all he cares about isa) you have enough money (about $120,000)b) you already know everything you need to know to pass the boardc) I have a feeling the chairman is getting a lot of pressure from up aboveThe interview was very unorthodoxMultiple Mini InterviewsThe interviewers had no idea what is the purpose of the interviewInstead of testing my logic, they were testing my medical knowledge !!!!Worse was the counselor who was making fun of an applicant’s email !!!!!I hope this is not the only place I get accepted

I'm sorry you feel this way about the school but honestly you shouldn't be bashing it on this forum. I read your post and was honestly worried about going to my interview but I went and I completely disagree when pretty much everything you said.

For those who are about to interview I urge you not to take this person's post to heart. At least go see it yourself before you do!

There is a railroad track two streets over from the campus. Who cares?? The campus is pretty nice and is an enclosed little area of medical grad students which I thought was awesome. Pomona is most certainly not the murder capital of California btw. You should check your statistics on that. I hear there are unsafe parts but that is true of any city. I never felt unsafe when I was there on Tuesday. The faculty were friendly and I felt welcome. The questions seemed quite normal and appropriate though I can't say anything about what they were.

About finances... perhaps this poster didn't read the budget but this INCLUDES living expenses for which they allocate $20,000 a year. For California that's probably not too far off. They do this so financial aid can budget in your rent. They have an awesome grad student residence that is brand new and right on campus so you can literally roll out of bed and head to class.

Now I sound like an advertisement for Western lol but I just want people to know that I really enjoyed my time there so go see it for yourself. You can't know if it is a right match for you until you do.

I agree with PAschoolDreams, that earlier post bashing westernu sounds more like a troll post.  I am a first year student and have never felt unsafe on campus or walking to local businesses.  Students walk off campus all the time to get lunch or starbucks. I live in Claremont, an adorable town, which is less than a 15 minute drive to  school.  Pomona is more of a urban/metro area so I imagine if you've never been to a large city, you might be intimidated.  Students live everywhere from Chino Hills, Upland, Claremont, Pomona and on campus.  There are a few nice apartment buildings in Upland that have great amenities / pool side studying cabanas that have been great places to study on the weekend.  Because you do have to study on the weekends, I found it nice to find unique study spaces outside (the weather is great here!). 

Regarding fiances, I think WesternU tuition is reasonable. Pa school is expensive. I would recommend comparing costs at all the programs you're applying to and make an informed decision once you're accepted. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived