Certifications and Other Questions -- Advice Needed

Short background - decided to pursue PA path late 2011.  Started with cGPA from undergrad of 2.8 and sGPA of 2.45, completed in 2004.  I have since completed 50 credits at 4.0 to raise GPAs to 3.10 and 2.95.  Obtained my EMT certification and have been working part time since.  Have accumulated about 600 hrs to date.  I also work full time running a family business and am married with two young daughters (3 and 1).  

I received an interview from my top choice program but unfortunately did not get accepted. Was told by adcom that my GPA was the problem and to continue taking classes and add more certifications.  

What certifications would be best for me to obtain before next cycle?  My grades were not brought up during my interview, should I be more aggressive and initiate this topic in future interviews?  Does anyone have any additional advice on how I should improve my application for next cycle?  

I will do whatever it takes to get into PA school.  Thanks in advance. 

I would say get more HCE hours, you should have 1000-2000 by the time you apply again.

Also look at what CASPA has listed as science and other science classes and take as many of those listed to raise your science GPA.  There are some lower division classes in that list that are not that hard and they will raise your science GPA if you take them and pass with an A.  

Thank you for your response.  My plan is to get over 1000 HCE hours and take as many classes necessary to have cGPA at 3.2 and sGPA at 3.1.  Unfortunately, most of my credits are science so even with a large number of A's I will not get the high sGPA like a lot of other people that have comeback from low GPAs.  Is it better to take high level science classes or any course just to keep improving the overall number?

I also plan to continue adding to my shadowing and volunteering hours.  In addition, I will be obtaining ACLS, PALS, and EKG certifications.  Any other ideas?  I really appreciate any help that can be provided.  Just want to make sure I am doing everything possible to reach my goal.

I would think that having a 4.0 from your last 50 credits would show adcoms that you are academically capable, especially if those 50 credits were science-heavy. If you didn't this time around, I would address your gpa in the personal essay and at interviews if the opportunity presents itself. I'm not sure how many programs you applied to, but you might apply to more schools next time. I know some programs are more willing than others to take applicants' recent academic history into account. 

You mentioned getting more PA shadowing hours. I think that is very important and can lead to you getting very strong letters of recommendation. If you have a PA or two telling adcoms they have to have you in their program, they will give you a much closer look. 

More HCE hours always helps. Like TexasGirl mentioned, I'm not sure I'd spend tons of money or time adding certifications, unless they lead to better HCE opportunities. 

Good luck!

Getting ACLS and PALS won't do anything for you unless it's tied to paramedic, RT, RN, etc where you get to use it. I'm surprised your program said that. I don't know where you work but as an EMT you're only pumping chest. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll eventually get in somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement.  I sent an email to the admissions coordinator asking if we could meet, hopefully she will be able to provide some more specific information on what classes to take and how the certifications will benefit my application.  The 50 credits that I have so far are mainly pre-reqs.  I feel like I have a good plan and hopefully it will work out in the end.     

Short background - decided to pursue PA path late 2011. Started with cGPA from undergrad of 2.8 and sGPA of 2.45, completed in 2004. I have since completed 50 credits at 4.0 to raise GPAs to 3.10 and 2.95. Obtained my EMT certification and have been working part time since. Have accumulated about 600 hrs to date. I also work full time running a family business and am married with two young daughters (3 and 1).

I received an interview from my top choice program but unfortunately did not get accepted. Was told by adcom that my GPA was the problem and to continue taking classes and add more certifications.

What certifications would be best for me to obtain before next cycle? My grades were not brought up during my interview, should I be more aggressive and initiate this topic in future interviews? Does anyone have any additional advice on how I should improve my application for next cycle?

I will do whatever it takes to get into PA school. Thanks in advance.

It seems crazy that you got an actual interview, but were not accepted because of grades. I would think that if you were invited for an interview, the ADCOM looked past grades, really. It should not be a reason for rejection!

I wish you good luck! Just keep piling up those hours, and may be look into a different school.

Archived