Meds visit billed as psychotherapy

This is a double post. I didn't know how to delete it from the "specialties" forum.

I am a PA interested in working in Psychiatry. Now, psychiatrists are scheduling meds only visits for 15-20 minutes. If the visits go over, they get to bill it as psychotherapy by using the psychotherapy code. So, some providers that go over just a minute or two bill it as a psychotherapy session. I would feel uncomfortable billing it as something that I haven't done.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

In both states in which I am licensed as a PA, it is not permitted for PAs to use psychotherapy CPT codes for reimbursement, unless the PA has demonstrated extensive additional training (e.g., at least a master's degree or equivalent) and the BOM has approved the licensee's expanded scope of practice.  Of course this would not apply to psychiatrists, whose formal training in residency includes psychotherapeutic techniques and thus allows them to use the relevant CPT codes.  The example you give sounds unethical; therapy is not something one does in two to three minutes to extend the time in a medication visit in order to upcode the billing.

Archived