Athletic Training Majors?

Hey everyone, is anyone here an Athletic Training major or have any knowledge of that program, specifically in the So-Cal area? I'm curious as to how competitive that major is, being that only a small class seems to be let in per year. I'm at a CC right now, and contemplating going towards Athletic Training as a major - but if there is like a long waitlist or something of that nature, like the Nursing programs here in So-Cal, then it may not be realistic for me.

Thanks in advance to any replies/insights given!

I'm an ATC but I'm based in the Midwest. I have never heard of any long wait list or anything to get into programs, although I wouldn't be surprised if there are some. Athletic Training allowed me to knock out several pre reqs (although they had all expired by the time I was considering the career switch!). I love the job and am confident that it has led me to this career. Just be aware that it is a very time intensive major! Good luck!!

Thank you so much for your reply. Yeah, that is one of the main points that attract me to Athletic Training (aside from my football days back in High School when I had a cool Athletic Trainer who popped my pinky finger back into place). The ability to take most of my prereqs along with the major as it pertains to PA school, alongside gain some clinical/diagnostic experience, and WORK! And maybe, just maybe, pop someone's dislocated pinky back into place myself.

Agree, I will tell you why it was helpful for me:

1. Prior to PA school: I had all my pre reqs from my Sports Med/Athletic Training degree plus paid work experience as an ATC which was a huge advantage for applying to PA school.

2. PA School Time Management: I felt that my previous degree helped me with time management and the ability to learn a huge amount of information at one time. Idk about every program, but during my AT program we were in class 8-4 or 5p and then required to do our clinical hours after classes and on weekends with the athletic teams and in the ATR. It was required to travel every weekend with teams so I was getting 25-40 hours a week of clinical on top of classes.  While I hated it at the time, it was certainly an advantage and mimicked the intensiveness of PA school. This may have changed though since I was in a program from 2002-2006.

3. PA School Curriculum: AT program content was a huge advantage especially for anatomy, physical exam skills, musculoskeletal disorders. Also after having to learn and practice every special test in the book on classmates and on sweaty/stinky athletes, you are probably very comfortable with touching and interacting with patients. And your communication skills after learning how to 'fight' coaches, athletes, and parents (if you are working with minors) regarding safety issues will make you a very well rounded individual.

Archived