• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys does any one know, if they follow the CcNY academic calendar for winter break, spring break holidays etc? How long is their summer session? (Not orientation, but regular class starting from next summer) how many days we have to go to class? How much does the books cost? I heard they are expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay the website states the selection process is now over....I was interviewed but no acceptance phone call and no rejection email....I'm not quite sure what to make of that

I was also interviewed and did not receive an email or a phone call. Not sure what to do now...

Hi guys even as I think about what my next step would be as I reflect on my letter of rejection I cannot leave without passing on some info that was passed on to me by some of the current students of the program.

For those of you who got interviewed and have to hope of being accepted also those of you who received your letter of acceptance you need to be prep for what is ahead and you should start by purchasing and reading Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology: Posted Image. Start reading it because it's one of the first classes plus one of the toughest. So guys walk with confidence be your best stay positive and know that nothing is impossible if you believe. Yes I am taking this for me as well. It's not going to be a dream deferred (thinking of Langston Hughes poem "Dream Deferred") it took my 6 year old to remind me lol "out of the mouth of babes". Anyway it's already a long note but in short I could not leave without sharing this look back on the forum and you will see the same advice so take heed and go with boldness you got this. Be blessed!

For those who interviewed and are still waiting to hear back...I just called and they said that they will still be sending rejection letters until next wednesday. The person I spoke to said they weren't sure if they were still calling people or not, or where they were in the admission process. Not super helpful, but I guess that's where we're at. I wonder if that means there's a waiting list? 

I know...I wish they would just tell us what is going on. At this point, I'm approaching it as if I got rejected so that I can move on with my plan for next year and not be completely blindsided if/when I get the letter. If I get in, it'll just be an unexpected surprise, haha. 

There was nothing wrong with the interview!

Here is your mistake: "I am a white ethnic minority as well, but I have an interview. Why would SD grant me a chance to expand on my application...why would they offer to get to know me if they were in fact "racist"?

In my honest opinion, Sophie Davis is a wonderful program. It teaches to root into a community, to serve everyone equally!"

Why?  I'm telling you why:

APPEARANCES!

BTW...Did you see all the pictures of the graduates? Pictures speak louder than words! There is AT MOST a QUOTA of white graduates!

Wow what an interesting point of view I am just surprise at the fact that the history of the program and the past graduates or the current students left that impression take the time and visit the program you will be surprised I did so and your view is far from the truth so if I were Lyberum do some research on all angles and you will see it's not what you think but it's a program that live up to it's mission statement!

BTW...Did you see all the pictures of the graduates? Pictures speak louder than words! There is AT MOST a QUOTA of white graduates!

Wow Lyberum. If you truly feel this way, why did you bother to apply? If you truly feel this way, I suggest you go to the Program Director, who is a white woman & a graduate of this program (did you see her picture up on the wall?) & express your opinion of how this program is racist? Please, by all means come to my class & tell the white students in my class that the program is racist & that they were only accepted because of a quota. You are entitled to your opinion, as uneducated & factless as it may be. But trust me, my white classmates (as well as my minority classmates) would tell you what you could do with your opinion & that your opinion doesn't matter to them because we are too busy being actual PA students.

Hey. I've just gotten the rejection e-mail.

Right now, you are an applicant that wasn't accepted & now you're on here bashing the program. Sounds like a case of sour grapes.

It seems that now I have to apply to the "pricey" league. :) I hate filling all the fields in CASPA application every year!

If you only applied to SD because it's a cheap option compared to the other pricier schools & not because of what this program stands for, then this program may not be the right one for you. But don't worry, now that you won't be busy with PA school, you now have plenty of time to fill out all those fields in the CASPA application for other schools that don't accept so many minorities & only accepts whites to fill a quota as you feel SD does. Although I am curious since you said that you hate filling out the CASPA application EVERY year, exactly how many times have you applied to PA school?

Btw, in case you weren't aware of this, this is a forum for SD applicants that actually WANT to get in. I'm pretty sure that IF you had gotten past the application & had been able to get an interview, you would have jump at the opportunity. IF somehow after the interview, you were accepted & granted a seat in this program, whether it be based on the laurels on your application, interview & personality or whether it be based on the fact that they had to fill this quota that you feel they have, I'm sure that you would have gladly accepted it. If not, then why bother applying in the first place?

I think it's hysterical that you are posting pics that help showcase your belief that whites are only accepted based on a quota, but fail to mention that the other program don't have many minorities in their pics. Why not complain that the minorities are only accepted into those programs based on a quota? Is it because those quotas don't put you at a disadvantage? There are so many more PA programs that accept more white people including white minorities. Btw, pictures are not statistics. They're pictures,

I wish you the best of luck (after filling out your CASPA application) on getting into one of those schools.

Yacosta815 that was beautiful and I couldn't have said it better myself. I love Sophie Davis and what it stands for because there are not many minorities in the pa field and in the higher medical field in general. This program is really committed to diversity in a way that makes me tear up because it is truly giving everyone- minorities and non minorities a chance. And that is all we can ask for at the end of the day. A chance for someone who believes in us.

And maybe the program isn't right for everybody but that's fine too. I hope for Lyberum can find the program that matches them and will accepts them

Thank you Kit Kat. I truly love this program & what it stands for, however, it may not be for everyone. That's ok. One of the things that you have to learn as a PA is acceptance of others. Of their cultures, of their ethnicity, of their profession, of their education, of their vices, etc. As a PA, you will come across all types of patients, including those that maybe unlike you. I am doing my clinical rotations now & I have come across very different types of patients. As a PA, you have to treat the white male that collapsed from dehydration during a run the same way that you have to treat a schizophrenic junkie that has full-blown AIDs, hep C & several STDs who has just relapsed for the umpteenth time on heroin that just happens to be a minority. If the first thing you think about is what race they are or judging them for what their circumstances are, then you are not doing your job as a PA.

I hope that Lyberum finds the program that is able to give him/her the opportunity & that best fulfills what he/she is looking for.

Lyberum- please get your bitter and negative self off this forum. You arent the only one to get rejected from this program.. I did too but you don't see me or anyone else bashing the program. This program stands for diversity and gives everyone a chance..and produces EXCELLENT PAs. My grades were not as high as the competition, so I will work on them this upcoming year and reapply. You, however, need an attitude change and that might take a little longer. Good luck to you.

Congrats to all those who got accepted, shine on! For those in my boat, i hope none of you give up. The positivity and dedication to everyone on here is inspiring. :) 

Wow Lyberum. If you truly feel this way, why did you bother to apply? If you truly feel this way, I suggest you go to the Program Director, who is a white woman & a graduate of this program (did you see her picture up on the wall?) & express your opinion of how this program is racist? Please, by all means come to my class & tell the white students in my class that the program is racist & that they were only accepted because of a quota. You are entitled to your opinion, as uneducated & factless as it may be. But trust me, my white classmates (as well as my minority classmates) would tell you what you could do with your opinion & that your opinion doesn't matter to them because we are too busy being actual PA students.

Right now, you are an applicant that wasn't accepted & now you're on here bashing the program. Sounds like a case of sour grapes.

If you only applied to SD because it's a cheap option compared to the other pricier schools & not because of what this program stands for, then this program may not be the right one for you. But don't worry, now that you won't be busy with PA school, you now have plenty of time to fill out all those fields in the CASPA application for other schools that don't accept so many minorities & only accepts whites to fill a quota as you feel SD does. Although I am curious since you said that you hate filling out the CASPA application EVERY year, exactly how many times have you applied to PA school?

Btw, in case you weren't aware of this, this is a forum for SD applicants that actually WANT to get in. I'm pretty sure that IF you had gotten past the application & had been able to get an interview, you would have jump at the opportunity. IF somehow after the interview, you were accepted & granted a seat in this program, whether it be based on the laurels on your application, interview & personality or whether it be based on the fact that they had to fill this quota that you feel they have, I'm sure that you would have gladly accepted it. If not, then why bother applying in the first place?

I think it's hysterical that you are posting pics that help showcase your belief that whites are only accepted based on a quota, but fail to mention that the other program don't have many minorities in their pics. Why not complain that the minorities are only accepted into those programs based on a quota? Is it because those quotas don't put you at a disadvantage? There are so many more PA programs that accept more white people including white minorities. Btw, pictures are not statistics. They're pictures,

I wish you the best of luck (after filling out your CASPA application) on getting into one of those schools.

If you check all my posts, you could easily see that I expressed my concern about their program and "mission" BEFORE I was rejected. And yes, like all the applicants here, I applied to SD because it's cheap and I don't have enough money to go to the "pricey" league! But that's not your problem! And I'm saying again that I've never said they were racists! I never said they have something against the white applicants! They just approve the others applicants in an overwhelming percentage! And now you're saying that the other PA Programs don't accept too many non-white applicants! Is that some bigotry from you also??

Pictures are pictures? This is an intelligent statement! 

SD should approve applicants on their academic and professional performance! There are applicants with maximum GPA and great experience that are not approved, and, BTW, they are white! Like they say on number 5. from Holistic Review: Fitness with the SD mission. And then they specify: race, ethnicity, and religion are excluded from the criteria. OK let's put the hypocrisy away and tell me for the last time: What's the SD PA Program mission again???

You're right. You not having enough money to go to the pricey league, is not my problem. It's yours. I don't care if you can afford to go to the pricey PA schools or not. If you were concerned about the percentage of candidates of a particular race accepted before you were rejected, then why bother applying? There are other inexpensive PA schools (York, Downstate) that you could have applied to instead of Harlem. And no, that wasnt a bigoted comment on my part about the pic. If you read my statement properly, I stated that while you mentioned that the Harlem pic shows a racial disparity, you failed to mention the racial disparity in the other pics. While most people would look at those pics & see proud PA students representing their PA program at NYSSPA, you chose to view those pic & point out the racial disparity of the Harlem pic. Yes, "pictures are pictures" is an intelligent comment. You were the one that was talking about statistics after pointing out the pics.

They are many applicants that are not accepted, both white & minority. There are minority students that are current students that were rejected the first time they applied. In fact, there are some students that are on this forum that were not accepted that are also minority. White students are not the only ones that are not accepted.

Harlem is a great program. Most applicants focus on the fact that it is a top notch program that is known for producing top caliber PAs, for being the current NYSSPA Medical Jeopardy champions, for being the PA program with the most Medical Jeopardy wins at NYSSPA & for having excellent PANCE pass rates. I don't understand why you are so focused on race.

Whatever the case, I wish you the best of luck in finding the PA program that best suits what you are looking for, since it does not seem that Harlem is a good match for you.

Hi everyone ! I've been keeping up with this forum for a while now. Made an account, for some reason didn't get a confirmation email, so I had to make a new one . Anyway that's besides the point.

Just wanted to say that I was interviewed on the 22nd and got my acceptance voicemail on the 28th !!

I'm super nervous and excited all at the same time!

Id really love it if someone could make a Facebook page for our class so I can meet everyone whose been accepted !

For those who didn't get in, don't feel sad or upset at all. I know easier said than done, but you all are intelligent and all worthy of being accepted. Keep doing what your doing, and apply again and you'll get in no problem.

My GPA wasn't so hot until I took some extra sciences classes to boost up my science GPA. I was supposed to graduate college last year but stayed an extra year to take more sciences, and it seemed like that was a pretty bright idea. I honestly didn't expect to be accepted but God is good and I did. Keep faith and keep trying if this truly is your dream !!

I don't think the wait list is official right now. All those of us that we're interviewed but did not receive an offer of a seat or a rejection email can assume we are wait listed. Sounds like they will keep black ups in case any of the seats that were offered out become available

Archived