Also do you remember when orientation began? I hear it doesn't occur in June but June 30 is a Monday. I'm trying to determine if they may start Monday June 30th, Tuesday July 1st, or Monday July 8th

I've been poking around other sections of the SD PA board...it looks like 2014 orientation start might fall right on July 8th (possibly). It seems to start the second week of July, making orientation six weeks long.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point I'm just trying NOT to let the anxiety get the best of me. I can't help but worry or just wonder what it's really going to be like if I'm accepted. I've already discussed leaving my full time position at work if I get accepted...my boss is extremely supportive and I feel very lucky. She just asked for a few weeks notice if it's the case.

My fiancé and I also discussed looking for a more affordable apartment if I do get into SD....something we can manage on one income if need be.

Other than that I'm just reviewing my A&P book, looking over flash cards when I have downtime. Anything to keep my mind sharp and from completely losing it from the nerves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckily for me, 90% of the time I'm busy and the other 10% I'm too tired to worry about anything. I still have this semester of full time study and work to occupy my life. But seriously, when I find I'm beginning to worry I ask myself the following:

If interviews were held tomorrow, would I find myself wishing I had prepared a bit more, or researched a few more topics? Given where I am right now in my preparation, is there any room for improvement? Can I use some more practice in answering the committee's quentions more fluently and intelligently?

So I can't afford to worry about something that is out of my control. Rather, I am trying to prepare so that when the time arrives, I have no regrets, hopefully.

Let's ask ourselves, if there are 1000 applications, and they are interviewing, say 150, am I 100% certain I will be better than 115 of those interviewees? And even if I am, what are they doing now that will make them better than me by the time interviews begin? Am I going to sit  and worry about the deadline while they improve, or am I going to continue to work on my preparation?

Finally, will worrying cause the time to go faster, and help me perform better?

I am usually hard on myself, so I can understand if this approach does not work for you, but it's keeping away the anxiety, so it does work for me.

Anyways, Hadassah you asked what we are doing so I'm just saying. I have been following your thread for a long time and I hope you get accepted.

Did you guys know that a large % of applicants that got accepted last year communicated with each other, including on this board? Obviosly helping each other prepare is a good thing.

I've been bumming around the general PA forum and several people have suggested "The Ultimate Guide to the Physician Assistant Profession".

I have to say I am glued!

It's helping me look past the anxiety and anticipation of the admissions time period and once again refocus on the ultimate goal of beoming a PA.

I highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't read it yet!

• 3 weeks later...

TJL2012 Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by this board! Can you give us some insight to the orientation? I understand it runs 8 weeks prior to the "official" start of classes. What does orientation consist of? What can be expected?

Also, this may be a lot to describe but how does the first fall semester really run? (Class wise during the week) I understand classes are scheduled between 8am and 6pm (sometimes running later) but I am so curious to know how a typical day may be layed out.

My nerves are at an all time high!

THANK YOU for your insight!

You're welcome!

As we get closer to the start, I will come back and and say more on the orientation and a typical day as a PA student. But for now, I will quickly say one thing. You will have absolutely no time for anything other than school. It's a full time job with overtime. We're in class all day, and right after class, we run out like crazy to go read, read, read, and read until bed time. The story never ends! Exam, quizzes, exam, quizzes. But it's doable, we're not the first, and we won't be the last to do it :)

Some of you asked about the interview process. As far as questions asked, preparation is key. Everyone gets asked different questions. I would recommend a book by Andrew Rodican that really helped me "How to ace the PA school interview". If you read this book, and follow his advice, you should be fine.

I was interviewed by 4 faculty members. I pretty much sat across from them, and questions were coming from every angle. Sounds scary and nerve racking, I know! But be prepared, confident, relax and remember to smile and also ask questions.

I read a lot about the profession, the history of the program, met with many past and current students through my shadowing experiences. Prepare, prepare, prepare! I literally stood in front of my mirror and rehearsed again and again :)

If you guys have any more questions, feel free to ask. I will be stopping by periodically.

Best wishes to you all!!!

No reply from UAPC but I've had to call them several times over the months and even make a trip down there (my transcripts where just not being delivered for some reason). They are really great and helpful. Give them a call! They will update you on the status of your application

Thank you, I did get an email saying that they were unable to offer me admission to The City University of New York. I got it yesterday so I'm going crazy right now because I'm not sure if my PA application is disqualify because of this..... I'm so saddened by this. I have called but they gave me another number to call that keeps ringing out.

OK guys, it seems things are starting to heat up. There is a chat option on this website if everyone has the time cause there seems to be things to discuss. I have received updates from both UPAC and City College. Log on if you can, otherwise we wil just have to fill up each other's inboxes

I called UAPC so that I can ask about the email and they said I need to call admission ( which i dont get because i thought they are responsible for transfer admission stuff). Then I called Sophie Davis to ask if my PA application is disqualify because of the email and the person told me that their department did not send out any email so they dont know and I need to call the department that sent me the email.......ughhh.

Ugh that sounds like a headache. When I went to UAPC they told me they process the transfer application, make a decision and then send everything to Sophie Davis and they have the ultimate decision. So maybe Sophie Davis will still review everything. Who knows...

Hi Shelly, don't give up. Some one had this problem last year and still got in. Call the UPAC office and speak with someone, anyone until it is resolved. As long as you applied before the deadline, it is most likely fixable.

Try to remain calm and just attck this issue. It's just another challenge, you can do it

Hi everyone,

Shellybelly, you are not  the only one. I, unfortunately, received the same email saying they are unable to offer me admission to CUNY. I really hope this does not affect our application for the program. I will also try to get in contact with someone affiliated with the PA program and let you know. 

Hello all.

For those that got the bad news email from UAPC yesterday - contact them at 212-997-2869.

Hit options 1, 1, 2, dial your ssn or CUNY ID,  1, and 0 (to speak to a representative).

When the rep comes on the line, explain that you were sent a notice that your application will not be considered for transfer to City College and ask them to give you the reason(s). 

For me it was a mathematics course that didn't meet the pre-calc requirement.

Hopefully you're able to sort things out.

Hi all,

I was on the forum this morning but had class all day, so I'm not back on. As NYCHM said call and get the reason; it is often fixable. Corpsman, I'm a bit baffled by the reason they gave you though. If your pre-reqs are not acceptable, that is a decision for the PA Program, not UPAC. Are you presently in a CUNY school? If so, you should look into it some more. If not, that seems strange too because you don't actually need pre-calc to get into City College. I'm a transfer and I didn't have pre-calc when I first entered the CUNY system.

I called UPAC today and they said that the decision to accept is made by the college, so for those of you having problems it may be best to call City College's admissions dept (not the PA program, they are separate). State your case and make sure they give you a proper answer. Leave no stone unturned because it might well be the one that makes a difference.

Archived