• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey! I'm so glad I found this forum! I am currently doing my application for the PA program....hoping and praying and crossing every toe and finger that I get in!

I'm hoping to have everything ready, stapled, sealed and sent out by mid December the latest :-)

I am already feeling so incredibly nervous!

Hi. I put in my application already. I got confirmation that it is complete. Now we just play the waiting game. I really want to get into this school because I have friend who is a former graduate from this program, and I can see that he is a really knowledgable PA and his patients love him.

I currently am an EMT and I have a lot of HCE between volunteering and working as an EMT as well as volunteering in a hospital. My gpa is currently at a 3.4 roughly.

I'd love to hear what other people are applying with and what you think my chances of getting in are.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Yisroels, awesome stats, that kind of HCE is always a bonus!

Sophie Davis is my first choice school as well. I am literally aching to go.

I wish I would have been able to get started on my application earlier but time flew by....so next month is my goal. My personal statement is still in the process of getting torn apart and rewritten. Ugh what a pain!

I got my BA in Psychology with a minor in behavioral neuroscience. Overall gpa is 3.7 with a 3.6 science gpa. I've been working in a hospital for 6 years (indirect patient care) and have been a volunteer in my community for over 7 years.

Hi its really great to hear from other potential students, I myself really and truly desire to go to Sophie Davis, its my first choice.  I am also still in the process of completing my application will be finish by December.   

Lets keep in touch as we wait in the process of getting accepted into the program.

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody Sophie Davis is my first choice and I submitted my app last month at the end of Novemeber (actually just after Thanksgiving)  I called and double checked to make sure everything was complete I even checked on my UAPC application and they said everything checked out so Im just waiting.  My overall GPA was 2.9 but I took a large amount of classes and graduated from City College with a BA in Liberal Arts.  I want Sophie Davis as my first choice because I love Harlem and  I love City College.  I was a volunteer EMT for City College for 2 yrs and now work as an EMT in NYC.  Anybody work for Transcare?  Im hoping my HCE and my personal statement will help me stand out I helped my wife deliver our daughter in our house so I talked about my experience with that and also how I was the Director of Training for VES at city college.  I don't think I will hear anything until after the March deadline.

Good luck people we might actually be classmates next summer!!!

Hello Everyone

I submitted my app back in September and got the confirmation email a few weeks later. Sophie Davis is the only school I have applied to since it was the only one that did not require Microbiology ( I am a Forensic Toxicology major and it was not a requirement), so I am REALLY hoping I get in. I graduated with a 3.8GPA and have two years of Direct Patient Care and another two years shadowing an PA at two difft jobs: one in the trauma ER and the other working as a Death Investigator for the ME office. I  am hoping this along with my pesonal statement will help me stand out. Good luck to everyone else!!! This waiting is painful :(

Hi everyone,

I am a current PA student at Sophie Davis and i'm here if you have any questions and also to address this whole recruitment process. I made this account with the purpose to talk the truth while concealing my identity. One thing that was very apparent for me about this program when i got in is that they are not like most schools out there in regards to their student selection. Most schools will first look at a applicants GPA, then experience and so on. However, SD does not really look at that their first qualification is a students background. As the school's mission statement implies they pride themselves in graduating minority's and trust me when i say that they really stay true to their mission. My class and almost every class i have seen accepted to this program are all mostly African American and Spanish and the tiny rest are Asian, Indian and other minority's. If you are a minority your already half way in you just have to act the part and let them know in the interview how hard it has been for you as a minority. GPA really is not a FACTOR! i say this because there are many students here that were accepted with low GPA's. If you have a low GPA but are a minority you still have great chance all you need to do is get some experience and show interest and knowledge of the profession but most of all really be humble and explain your hard times leading up to this point as a minority on the interview. If you are not a minority then you are in trouble because it will be really hard to get in even if you have a 4.0 GPA with tons of experience but not impossible. Another thing i wanted to point out is make sure this is what you want to do because once it starts it will consume your whole life. If you have a relationship or have kids or other responsibilities then school will be 3 times harder. Also make sure that you are able to sit and stay focused while reading a huge textbook for 6 hours to 8 hours daily! because if you cant do this you will not be able to make it past the first semester because Dr.Garvey is fast and loaded with huge amounts of information. Some of you may think that your use to that but trust me when i say you have never took a test like Garveys test. You can study for hours and hours and still get a failing grade just because the way she words her questions, she is extremely hard and can make you think twice about staying in the program. Almost always a few people don't make it past the first semester and have to repeat it even though they spend every hour they can studying. I think the reason for this is because Physiology is not a requirement to get in the program so students who don't have that foundation in physiology have a real hard time. So make sure your ready to put your life aside and spend every single hour in studying, as soon as you wake up, in the train, in the bathroom and sometimes on a sleepless night and still after all that it wasn't enough to pass. This is PA school, so make sure this is what you want to do. Ask me any questions and ill answer them.

At DarkKnight, thank you so much for your input. It is very helpful to have someone who is currently apart of the program to give us some insight. I do have a couple of questions for you...... just for starters

Are you from New York? Is there a lot of out-of-state PA students in the program? I'm not from NY.

What year are you in school?

@darkknight. There has to be a few white people in your cohort? No? Of the people you know who are not minorities or from a disadvantaged background could you make any guess as to what they did to get in? I'm not a minority but I live in an under served area and I was hoping to talk about how I planned to return to this area. Improving direct health access to the undeserved is also in their mission statement. Hope to hear back from you.

@everyone else. I am 26yrs old, looking to make a career change. I have a masters and a psychology major. About a 3.4 gpa and 3.7 gpa in science courses. In addition to pre refs I've taken developmental bio, genetics, the human body, evolution, and cellular and abnormal biology. I volunteer with my local ambulance and a local hospital. Sophie Davis is hands down the place I want to attend. I hope darkknight's post doesn't hold me back

I actually started rereading another book by the same author last night 'Getting into the PA School of your Choice', to pass the time. I guess everyone here on the 2014 cycle is preparing for interviews, so we are all playing the waiting game.

I actually have another semester to go and it starts in 2 weeks so I'm enjoying the time off and not sweating it.

Hope you get some calls for interviews soon and you ace them.

@noork85 The pre-reqs are pretty basic actually: Bio 1 and 2 OR A&P 1 and 2, plus Chem 1 and 2 (yes Inorganic or General Chem will do), Math and a few humanities. You can check it up on their website. All programs will transition to masters degree soon though so this will likely change. Note, that these science subjects must be sequential for them to be accepted: you cannot skip a semester between, say, Bio 1 and Bio 2.

If you are taking pre-reqs this summer then you cannot apply for this 2014 cycle as the deadline is March 15. If you have Bio 1 and 2 and the other pre-reqs then you can apply, but of course you will not be able to take summer courses if accepted as the program starts in early July.

This program will not accept your application with pre-reqs pending or in progress.

Of course, being here early and getting some tips will help you to better prepare for 2015 if all is not ready for this cycle.

Hope this helps.

Hello everyone,

I am currently a student at the Sophie Davis PA program. I especially remember that time of the year, last year, when I was applying. I was hopeful, anxious, fearful, excited, eager to say the least. I can certainly empathize with you all. For that reason, I'm here to answer any questions that you guys might have about the admission process and/or the program itself.

As you might have heard, there are no words to describe to describe the intensity of the program, time is never in our favor. As our seniors, now alumni, describe it, we only do 3 things, eat breathe and read read read.Nonetheless, I will try my best to stop by and answer your questions whenever I get a chance.

I wish you all the best.

Remain optimistic and hopeful!!!

TJL2012 Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by this board! Can you give us some insight to the orientation? I understand it runs 8 weeks prior to the "official" start of classes. What does orientation consist of? What can be expected?

Also, this may be a lot to describe but how does the first fall semester really run? (Class wise during the week) I understand classes are scheduled between 8am and 6pm (sometimes running later) but I am so curious to know how a typical day may be layed out.

My nerves are at an all time high!

THANK YOU for your insight!

Archived