Acceptance to TTU

Who told you that the school would make it?  I ended up making the one for 2015 because I was asked to by one of the faculty.  If it was someone that is in the existing class that is probably why.  Our class made our own, but there ended up being two.  Perhaps that is what they are trying to avoid, but you need a page that you guys can be open on and not monitored.  I know Jayce made our page on his own as well.  I would just check with them on that one.  It helped us greatly.

Hey! Since you are already in the program I had a quick question. They recommend we use PCs, especially since there isnt a mac store in the area. Are there any students in your class who have a MAC and have done just fine? I have only bought macs and am very familiar with them, so I would rather buy another MAC than purchase a PC and not know how to use it..just curious, thanks!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the Facebook page is kind of at a stand still.  I see femiej hasn't been on since he/she created the Facebook page.  I didn't know if we should make another one and post a link or if there was any progress on the last one.  I have received no emails from Texas Tech so I didn't figure anything has been made or confirmed just yet.  I know it is still early but it would be nice to meet and chat with some future classmates in advance and possibly make some living arrangements.  I just didn't want to end up with multiple Facebook pages like NeoTrion said his class had.  Any suggestions?

My daughter filled in an application and gave The Palms a fee to be on their waiting list so it is a real waiting. Others complexes may take you name, such as Blue Ridge, but I question whether they really put any effort into matching units with that list. No matter what, I would recommend you start calling beginning March 1. Based on our research, all or most of the complexes have a 60 day notification requirement for renters planning to vacate so you won't know anything for sure until you are within the 60 day window. And, although classes start at the end of May, you should probably start your lease on May 1. I highly recommend you start getting your ducks in a row now if you want a roommate. Two bedroom units are only 15-20 percent more than 1 bedroom so you will save a lot with an apartment mate. The newest units, all near the school, and all very nice are the two already mentioned above and (I think it's called) the Midway, which is still under construction. Making your search more difficult is the fact that Midland is loaded with apartments so you have a lot of choices, like a restaurant with five pages of menus items. Unfortunately, demand exceeds supply so it can be very hard to get in where you want (sort of like the restaurant with the five page menu telling you they are out of everything.)

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

I say create one...that way we can get to know each other since the next 2+ years of our lives are going to be together! Any luck on any housing yet? i have been looking but so far no one can tell me anything because its more than 60 days until moving in.

Mrs. Butler just sent an email with the link to the facebook page for our class. Check your email! There are a lot of members in it so far, so I believe most of the class of 2015 joined it incase we have any questions for them.

Cheers

I see the Facebook page is kind of at a stand still.  I see femiej hasn't been on since he/she created the Facebook page.  I didn't know if we should make another one and post a link or if there was any progress on the last one.  I have received no emails from Texas Tech so I didn't figure anything has been made or confirmed just yet.  I know it is still early but it would be nice to meet and chat with some future classmates in advance and possibly make some living arrangements.  I just didn't want to end up with multiple Facebook pages like NeoTrion said his class had.  Any suggestions?

The class of 2015 created one for us. Mrs. Butler just sent us the link, check your email!

Hey! Since you are already in the program I had a quick question. They recommend we use PCs, especially since there isnt a mac store in the area. Are there any students in your class who have a MAC and have done just fine? I have only bought macs and am very familiar with them, so I would rather buy another MAC than purchase a PC and not know how to use it..just curious, thanks!

A mac will be fine. I would say at least half of our class use one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey NeoTrion, I tried sending you a PM but it didn't work. Would you mind sharing a bit about your experience at Texas Tech? Do you enjoy the program? Would you recommend it to others? Have you done rotations yet? Is it true that you generally stay in one are for clinical rotation? Sorry for all the questions! I am having difficulty getting in touch with anyone who has gone to school here.

I can help you I am on my last year and can tell you my experience. I graduated from tech for my undergrad and loved every moment of it I thought I would have the same experience for PA school since its part of the Tech system so I only applied to that program and honestly I wish I would have applied to other programs. The school has its pros and cons just like any other school but I was expecting a lot more from the school. There is really not any teacher relationship with the students they change professors all the time and there has been times when we did not have professors come in and we had to learn on our own. For clinical you must be prepared to travel over west Texas you are responsible to pay for your own travel expenses and hotels stays I was very disappointed of this because the program is already expensive as it is and the loans do not cover everything. If I had the option to have chosen another program I would. I love being a red raider I am just disappointed with the PA program. I hope now that the program is on probation things will get better for future students and will not lose accreditation. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them for you. 

I can help you I am on my last year and can tell you my experience. I graduated from tech for my undergrad and loved every moment of it I thought I would have the same experience for PA school since its part of the Tech system so I only applied to that program and honestly I wish I would have applied to other programs. The school has its pros and cons just like any other school but I was expecting a lot more from the school. There is really not any teacher relationship with the students they change professors all the time and there has been times when we did not have professors come in and we had to learn on our own. For clinical you must be prepared to travel over west Texas you are responsible to pay for your own travel expenses and hotels stays I was very disappointed of this because the program is already expensive as it is and the loans do not cover everything. If I had the option to have chosen another program I would. I love being a red raider I am just disappointed with the PA program. I hope now that the program is on probation things will get better for future students and will not lose accreditation. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them for you. 

Stop lying. No PA school will pay for your travel expense. Some PA programs you have to find preceptors. Texas tech is one of the cheapest, and there are great teacher relationships.  

I interviewed on Thursday and just got the good news! Congrats everyone! We should start a facebook page!

Congrats I am on the alternate list still wishing for a miracle. Quick question to you and everyone who has been accepted could you please share when you submitted your application?

From what I have seen, the cost of groceries, gas, and utilities are not especially high. I have a son at SMU in Dallas where 2 bedroom apartments cost upward from $1,400/mo. I think there are a lot of cities around the country where apartment and other living costs are much higher.

As for Midland, you might expect prices to be low because it is out in the Styx. However, Midland housing prices are more comparable to the area around SMU. Nevertheless, my daughter has found a great 2 bedroom apartment in Midland for about $1,600/mo.

Clinical rotations are in Abilene, San Angelo, Amarillo, El Paso and Midland/Odessa. I think all but the Midland/Odessa area have very low costs (about half the price of Midland). Moreover, it is my understanding that students are assigned a single clinical rotation city for all CRs.

Based on the above, It doesn't seem that going to TTU in Midland is likely to be a great financial hardship, other than the fact that 2+years of PA school is a burden in itself.

Tell me where I am wrong here if you have other information that contradicts mine.

Clinical rotations are in Abilene, San Angelo, Amarillo, El Paso and Midland/Odessa. I think all but the Midland/Odessa area have very low costs (about half the price of Midland). Moreover, it is my understanding that students are assigned a single clinical rotation city for all CRs.

San Angelo is no longer an option and Lubbock is missing from your list. Just a heads up!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Archived