Too late to apply to programs with Dec. 1st deadlines?

Realistically speaking, do you guys think it is too late to apply to PA programs that have Dec. 1st deadlines? Even though CASPA has received all my transcripts, I still have to shadow another PA and hope that he'll agree to serve as a reference. So after that reference (hopefully) is submitted, CASPA will then have to verify my application and mail it off to programs. And since Dec. 1st is the Sunday after Thanksgiving, is CASPA going to even be operating according to their normal processing schedule during that week? 

I understand that some individuals here have reported having had their applications complete/verified within ~48 hours of submitting it, but I understand it could possibly take much longer than that. 

Also, does anyone know if Dec. 1st is the date that the application must be received in the mail by the program, or does CASPA just have to have assigned a status of Verified/Complete to an application by that date?

I really, really want to apply to the few programs that are still accepting applications this late in cycle, but I'd also hate to waste several hundred dollars on applications that aren't even going to be submitted in time to be even considered by programs. 

That's cutting it really close, & based on factors you can't control.  Ideally, you want to have solid commitments for those giving you LOR's before you even start the application process.  They're already doing you a huge favor, & their lives are hectic, so you have to allow them plenty of time to get those letters & questionairres done.

You can always give it a shot.  Just don't be too dissapointed if things don't get done in time for this cycle.  If that happens, just look at it as getting a head start on the next cycle, & keep working on things between now & then to even further improve yourself as an applicant.

That's cutting it really close, & based on factors you can't control.  Ideally, you want to have solid commitments for those giving you LOR's before you even start the application process.  They're already doing you a huge favor, & their lives are hectic, so you have to allow them plenty of time to get those letters & questionairres done.

You can always give it a shot.  Just don't be too dissapointed if things don't get done in time for this cycle.  If that happens, just look at it as getting a head start on the next cycle, & keep working on things between now & then to even further improve yourself as an applicant.

Thanks for the advice; you're right, it is cutting it close. But here's another point that will influence how likely I am to be successful with getting applications submitted by Dec. 1st -- does the physical application itself need to have been mailed to & received by schools by that date, or does the application just need to be confirmed as being complete/verified by CASPA? If the answer to that question is the latter, then I might have a shot. However, Dec. 1st is the first Sunday after Thanksgiving, and I'm not even sure that any of my potential PA/MD references will be working during that week (or will have the time/willingness to log-on to CASPA and complete an LOR) -- so for all intents and purposes, I'm giving myself the "hypothetical" deadline of Friday, Nov. 22nd, which is two weeks from today. Wish me luck...

I echo TopDog. If you've got the money and can stand being disappointed by all the things that could happen to derail even making the deadline, than you have nothing to lose. Expecting someone who still doesn't know you to write a meaningful letter on a tight deadline is a huge longshot. I personally wouldn't depend on that.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If they have rolling admissions, it's too late.  If they state that they don't review applications until they receive them all, then theoretically you can apply up until Dec 1st and be fine.

I considered these points as well. I got in touch with one school that I'm interested in applying to that does rolling admissions, and surprisingly, they said they still have space available and will be conducting interviews into Feb./March. This is surprising to learn, but I'm not gonna argue with them.

I hate to say it, but at this point, are there any PA programs still accepting applications that are known to accept significantly more students than most programs? I.e., a "mega program?" At this point, I can't afford to be picky, and I truly do want to get in somewhere, so I'll apply literally wherever I stand to have a good shot at getting accepted.

I considered these points as well. I got in touch with one school that I'm interested in applying to that does rolling admissions, and surprisingly, they said they still have space available and will be conducting interviews into Feb./March. This is surprising to learn, but I'm not gonna argue with them.

I'm not sure what your GPA, GRE scores, # of HCE, etc are, but the later you wait to apply the harder it is to be considered for an interview. If you have a high GPA, an excellent essay, and the money to apply to schools with a Dec deadline or later, by all means go for it. That said, it is equally important to realize that you are at a very high risk of being unsuccessful, even with a competitive application and your energies may be better spent preparing for the next admission cycle.

You have to review each schools website to see if the deadline means all paperwork must be in their possession or CASPA app needs to be verified. But from the sounds of things, you really aren't ready for this admission cycle in my honest opinion. To ask someone you have shadowed once for a LOR AND to get it in by Nov 22, is not a recipe for a strong LOR (this is poor etiquette). But if you are confident that you can pull it off, go with it! Just realize that your desperation (for the lack of a better word) is evident and may hurt you in the long run. I wish well in your efforts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just do it, if $$$ is not an object. Like it was told before you could be in a bad shape with rolling admission programs, I heard that some programs interview for the waiting list spots, but you really never know. Try to put your best package together, everything matters in this game when they have to chose 1 out of 30. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for the advice offered. I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. Several of the programs I'm applying to don't have deadlines until Jan. 15th, so at least that provides me with a few extra precious weeks.

I'm not sure what your GPA, GRE scores, # of HCE, etc are, but the later you wait to apply the harder it is to be considered for an interview. If you have a high GPA, an excellent essay, and the money to apply to schools with a Dec deadline or later, by all means go for it. That said, it is equally important to realize that you are at a very high risk of being unsuccessful, even with a competitive application and your energies may be better spent preparing for the next admission cycle.
You have to review each schools website to see if the deadline means all paperwork must be in their possession or CASPA app needs to be verified. But from the sounds of things, you really aren't ready for this admission cycle in my honest opinion. To ask someone you have shadowed once for a LOR AND to get it in by Nov 22, is not a recipe for a strong LOR (this is poor etiquette). But if you are confident that you can pull it off, go with it! Just realize that your desperation (for the lack of a better word) is evident and may hurt you in the long run. I wish well in your efforts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it sounds like I'm not ready to apply to PA programs, but to be honest, the other elements of my application are pretty strong, and the only one that isn't is the fact that I still need an LOR from a PA/physician. To be honest, I didn't know that the procedure of shadowing a PA would involve encountering so many hindrances. When I shadowed a couple physicians a few years ago, I followed a friend's suggestion to bypass hospital HR staff and instead contact specific doctors' administrative assistants, and within days of doing this, I'd had several shadowing opportunities lined-up. At the time, I was able to attain literally 50+ hours worth of shadowing experience during a single workweek.

I figured that it would be just as easy to procure shadowing opportunities this time around as well, but despite utilizing the same strategy that worked before, literally every single secretary/admin. assistant I have spoken with has strictly directed me to hospital HR directors. And these HR directors have, in turn, either rebuffed my requests entirely by flat-out stating that they no longer permit shadowing, or as in the case of one local hospital, have stated that I will first have to undergo 6-8 weeks worth of drug screening, background checks, and HIPAA procedures. I have nothing to hide and no reasons to refuse those various tests; however, at this point, I simply don't have 6-8 weeks to spend jumping through various administrative hoops. To make matters worse, this is at the only local hospital whose HR director has stated that they even allow shadowing, and they only allow students to shadow for a whopping 2 days total. Either way, can I really expect to receive a solid LOR after shadowing a PA for only 2 days?

However, I'm waiting to hear back from a local surgeon who owns and operates his own surgical suite as well as the clinical coordinator for a local cardiology clinic with medical staff who also practice out of their own facility, so hopefully I'll have something arranged by Monday.

Just out of curiosity, is there a "standard" regarding the minimum number of days for which I should shadow a PA/physician before requesting that they serve as a reference?

...Just out of curiosity, is there a "standard" regarding the minimum number of days for which I should shadow a PA/physician before requesting that they serve as a reference?

This is where the problem lies that may make things not work out on such short notice.  You need to get shadowing in for sure, but not all PA's or MD's that you shadow are going to be willing to write you an LOR.  They will let you follow them around & answer your questions, but some of them are still going to be of the mindset that they still don't know you enough to recommend you for PA school.  Ideally, you would have gotten some HCE where you know several providers well enough that they feel comfortable with writing you an LOR.  But, if you haven't worked with a PA & need an LOR from at least one, by all means, try getting one from a PA you can shadow.  But be prepared that you may have to go through a few before you find one who will give you a solid recommendation.  Don't settle for one from someone who may not give you a good recommendation.  That could sink you.

Yes, it is a high hurdle to overcome. But with that being the case, is it bad to find one of those "all-around nice dude" PA's who will give me all 5s on the CASPA reference form but only write a couple sentences on the subjective essay portion? Even if those few sentences are in my favor? Should I find someone who will hopefully be willing to write at least 2 paragraphs?

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, I submitted my application to CASPA 1 day before the deadline. They had all my transcripts and letters of recommendation...I just picked over my narrative for too long. I did manage to get an interview, but it was during the last round. by then, they only had a few seats left. I'm convinced that if I had submitted early, I would have gotten in. I guess it all depends on your confidence level. Are you confident that you will get an interview? Also, are you confident that you will nail the interview? That's what I would ask myself. Good luck!

Archived