Science pre recs

I am seriously considering attempting to become a PA.   What was the average length of time it took people to complete the science prerequisites for the programs?  I currently work as a paramedic, and have a BA, but I avoided science as much as I could, so all my science classes are the very basic level.  I'll need to take all the science requirements.  So far the general list I have come up with (as I don't have a school preference yet) is

Bio 1 and 2 w/ lab

A&P 1 and 2 w/ lab

Chemistry 1&2 w/ lab

Microbiology w/ lab

Physics

I may need more, as microbiology has more science prerequisites (requires 3 different biology courses to get into...)

And then it also looks like most schools are requiring some Spanish courses (I have 2 other languages, but they say no substitutes)

Does this look like a fairly accurate general list of the science prerequisites required for most PA programs?  Would it be doable in 3 semesters? 

It depends on how many classes you can take at a time & still get good grades.  If you are still working full time it might be better to take one per quarter so you can get A's.  would take about 2 years.  Or, if you're working part time & can handle the extra load, maybe 2 classes would be okay, or even three if you are a really good student.  What you don't want to do is bite off more than you can chew & have your grades suffer for it.  In the end, you're the one who knows how well you do in school, so it's your decision.  Good Luck!

I decided to become a PA in July 2012. Based on how many classes I had already completed during my undergrad days I had 8 classes I needed to finish in order to apply to the schools I had chosen. I took 2 classes last fall, 2 in the winter, and 2 in the spring. I'm finishing my last two classes this fall and will be starting PA school in May. I feel like this time frame allowed me to get the grades necessary to be competitive. During this time I was also working 25-30 hours/week.

Many also require biochemistry and/or organic chemistry I. Just keep that in mind too, that biochem is usually only offered at 4 year universities. I ended up taking biochem online through UNE since I am working full time and am finishing ochem at a community college at night. 

Another note, make sure you are taking the pre-med version of these classes. Many schools offer a nursing level microbiology as well as others, so check to make sure you sign up for the right one!
I am a RD and many of my sciences had to be retaken since they were nursing level.  I ended up taking 2 each semester for the last year while working full time (over 40 hours a week).  It is doable, but you must be dedicated!

I'm very privileged that I won't have to woek full time while obtaining my prerequisites. The one other possible problem I see is that while I could possibly do them all in a year (start this winter semester, spring, summer, and fall), is that I would still be taking quite a few classes in the fall semester. It looks like most applications are due between August and November, and you can't have any outstanding prerequisites that you are taking/ to complete when you apply. Does this sound accurate to everyone's experience?

... It looks like most applications are due between August and November, and you can't have any outstanding prerequisites that you are taking/ to complete when you apply. Does this sound accurate to everyone's experience?

It is certainly best to not have any outstanding pre-requisites. I watched over the last couple years as programs have tightened up on this. There are many that flat-out will not consider your app until all pre-reqs are completed, while others are more willing to work with you. Speaking of latter, unless you are an exceptional applicant, they would still prefer to not issue conditional acceptances. If you have 1 or 2 pre-reqs you still need to complete don't let that stop you from applying - people still get in this way.

With the load you are looking at taking, I would plan on two years. If things go very well and time allows, you might be able to accelerate things. Take the heaviest load that you can do well with. Schools will want to see you can handle a courseload. Anyone should be able to take courses 1 at a time and get an "A."

As noted above, depending upon your previous coursework you might also find your time will be constrained by pre-req requirments (like having to take bio before micro, etc.)

I know it may seem overwhelming, but I would say you are looking at 4 semesters min. The upper level chem and bio courses require sequential prerequisites so you can't really load up on those sciences in two semesters and you wouldn't want to. I am sure you realize this, but I would hone in on a few PA schools you are really interested in but don't limit yourself to one and try to find out what their preferences are- ie they may not accept prereqs from community college or online courses- or they may make an exception for 2 courses in such a manner.

I made the unfortunate choice of focusing on what one person told me (in my defense she was on admissions at my first choice pa school) and I took several classes at a community college, only to realize many other schools don't see these as a competitive display of academics and not to mention she retired and the new director equally looks down upon community college courses. Great, right?

If you choose to do this, it will go by quickly but you've got to motivated for sure. If you take any online courses, I have found science courses from UNE are accepted by some schools- though it will run you around $1200. 

Good luck!!

- I also haven't heard of schools requiring spanish but maybe those are just the schools I have looked at.

Schools I've found so far that require Spanish:

Loma Linda

USC

Ones that highly recommend it

Moreno Valley

Western University

OHSU

For me although it's frustrating, it's worth while, as if I got into Moreno Valley and Loma Linda it would be much more convenient for me (although by no means am I going to limit my applications to those schools)

Unfortunately they're changing the requirement.   

"***New Program Update: A single course in basic conversational Spanish is recommended for the 2014-2015 cycle andwill be required for the 2015-2016 cycle and beyond.  Those who have indicated fluency in Spanish on their CASPA application will be required to pass a test of proficiency administered by our program should they be selected for an interview."

-http://www.llu.edu/allied-health/sahp/pa/prerequisites.page?

Archived