How long do opened prefilled syringes remain sterile?

Basically, we have pre-filled syringes for use in our practice (assume it's saline flush syringe for argument purposes).  I uncapped it to use, but it wasn't needed, so I carefully recapped it with a new sterile cover.  How long can it still now be safely used, now that it was (very brielfy) exposed to the air? 

I had a doctor once who would draw up meds from a multiuse vial, and then put a new needle on the syringe for use on the patient...but he saved the original needle that was only used to draw from the vial, and he was of the opinion that it was OK to reuse that needle all day (as long as sterilly handled).

Is there any consensus as to how long is too long?

It should be tossed.  Think about it.  if you found an opened syringe laying around, can you guarantee the sterility based on someone elses sayso?  I would get in the habit of not even opening the packaging until it is clear you are going to use it to avoid the waste, especially if it's an expensive medication.  That being said, expense does not justify unsafe practices.

The pre-packaged saline flushes are not truly sterile in the first place, not in a surgical sense anyway. There are other things airborne besides bacteria too. There is a lot of thoery about bacteria and viruses and sterility, but for sure they travel by the vector of open air. Unless the needle is kept in a negative pressure room and on a sterile table and every one that enters the room all day wears surgical masks, I would say that it is no good. If you are just uncapping it, popping some roids into someones back, and tossing it... then the Time vector on the X-Y graph is negligable, or acceptable.  

Not joking.  I knew another doc who was so cheap he would have the pages taken out of patient charts so his transcriptionist could type in the new dictation on whatever space was left over on the page, instead of using the adhesive backed transcription paper or typing a letter.  In the short time I worked there I personally saw this come back to bite him in the ass.  I'm sure you can imagine all the things that could go wrong with routinely removing pages out of patient charts.

<<<<[i had a doctor once who would draw up meds from a multiuse vial, and then put a new needle on the syringe for use on the patient...but he saved the original needle that was only used to draw from the vial, and he was of the opinion that it was OK to reuse that needle all day (as long as sterilly handled).

Is there any consensus as to how long is too long?] (this is quoted from OP...didnt quit quote)>>>>

In might interesting info: This type of practice resulted in one of the largest judgements against drug company to compensate numerous people infected possibly, likely through multidose vials. Google "lidocaine multidose vials lawsuit." Doc and staff were suppose to be doing same thing but sloppiness got in the way. Every pt in this city gets their own new vial of any med now. We throw away sooooo much lidocaine, and many others.

Archived