If you never get into PA school?

I am a current healthcare worker (medical laboratory scientist) who finds the PA profession intriguing as a way to get closer to the patient.  I have been looking for a sensible path to add to my education in a cost effective manner for quite some time and the PA profession seems to suite the bill.  However, despite being a reasonably "competitive" applicant, the sad reality appears to be over ten (nearly twenty) applications per spot available locally and I assume similar odds everywhere.

How does one prepare for the possibility of never getting in?  Have any of you considered other healthcare options as backup?  What even serves as a reasonable backup?

I am planning on taking some prereq refreshers at a local nursing school.  I have argued myself out of going into nursing over and over as it is a lateral career move, but if I am to take some coursework, I may as well start there.  I have considered pharmacy school, but I have seen what they do day to day and it feels uninspired.

Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like you are still in the beginning stage of deciding if being a PA is right for you(which isn't a bad thing, you really should explore all your options). As it seems you have already found, you can't simply sneak in the back door to PA school. If that was ever the case, it certainly isn't anymore. Here's what I would suggest:

1. Continue researching the PA field, but more importantly go shadow PA's(you need the shadowing anyways if you apply to PA school)

2. For those of us who have decided that it's PA or bust there really isn't a backup. Yes, PA school is extremely competitive, but if you apply and don't get in there are more programs, and you can always increase how competitive you are by gaining more HCE, volunteering, etc. If you really want to get in, you'll find a way.

Pretty much everything in life involves some competition. It is probably a good thing in that it makes us stronger and helps us make decisions. It's great that you really really want something, but you can't be considering your life a failure if you don't reach one particular dream. 

You might not become a PA, though the chances aren't bad if you have good grades and good experience, and can come across well in an interview. There are more programs every day and, because of CASPA, many applicants apply to multiple programs. Many of those 20 applicants probably end up somewhere.

That said, I don't think you can build your life without a Plan B. It is reasonable to ask yourself what you would like to do if you can't get in, or while you are waiting to get in. In that case, your life shouldn't be some sad echo of what could have been but rather a life worth living in its own right. Not something that you settled for but something that is interesting, makes a difference to someone, and supports you and your family.

As I look back on a work career of over 40 years, I see a variety of careers and jobs, each of which I chose as I went along. I  left each of them for a reason, but I learned something and enjoyed a lot along the way. Most importantly, the love of a good woman, three great kids, six grandkids, and friends that I met along the way. 

Try not to be so focused on your dream that your life hangs in the balance. The goal should be motivating and urge you on, but not held so tightly that it paralyzes you with fear or blots out consideration of any other options.

Good luck.

Fortunately I got in on my first cycle.  Had I not, this was my plan:

1. Get more HCE, and take a couple extra science courses to up the GPA, also volunteer if possible.

2. Re-apply to different programs next year, and apply to twice as many

3. Also apply to MD and DO programs as back up

I have a good friend who didn't get in the first year, I believe got only 1 interview.  He was bummed but he retook a couple classes and racked up another year of HCE.  Next year he was turning down interviews and was accepted to multiple schools.  He is currently at a program with a good reputation.  If I didn't get into PA/MD/DO after 2 cycles I think I would have started considering other careers.

I know someone who tried 6 times before she got in. That's what I call dedication!!!! She is an amazing PA now and I've had the pleasure of shadowing her. If you want something bad enough, don't stop until you get it. Only took me 2 tries but the second time around I received 7 interviews and was able to turn down schools! What an amazing feeling!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

Honestly it sounds like you are on the right track. It sounds like your grades are in the right area, you are gaining experience already and you have a plan to get the required classes taken care of.

The other reassuring fact is that you are already in a career that makes a fairly good wage. Many of the issues with people trying to apply to PA school arise from the need for experience. In many cases the only way to do that is to get an entry level position somewhere in healthcare. This then compounds some financial constraints on where and how quickly you may be able to take the required classes.

I would say that you need to do some shadowing both in the inpatient and outpatient settings to see if it is actually for you. You can do this while taking the classes you mentioned. Regardless of what field you end up choosing you will likely need to take some classes.

I would also like to rebut the comment from winterallsummer. PA school is not a back up for MD/DO school and neither is MD/DO and back up for PA school. I did not apply to PA school because I couldn't get in to medical school, I chose PA specifically. Likewise my medical school friends did not go to medical school because they could not get into PA school.

Archived