"JP IS BACK" 2014 APPLICANTS POST HERE

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DVegaMed

No more calls :(  I'm sure they will sent the rejection emails next week. I'm definitely not looking forward to seeing them, but can't do much right now. 

Are you guys gonna apply again at MDC or go a different school?

Congrats to those that got in. I got my rejection email with a reapply next year form. Having applied to several schools I think the Miami-Dade one was the most confusing and least straight forward process. It was the most stressful for sure, mostly because of the lack of information. The other schools I applied to are more expensive as they are private but the process was very different and more transparent. Admissions sent letters, emails and I have student accounts for each school. They sent emails when they got transcripts in addition to many update emails. The application process has also been available online. I got letters from the Presidents of the schools thanking me for applying. I got responses for interviews before the deadline for applications was over. So as horrible as it feels to be rejected there are other schools so don’t give up! I got lucky now that even though I got rejected at Miami-Dade I got early acceptance to two other schools. So just to everybody don’t put all your apples in one basket. Good luck to everybody! Never give up!

I love you all for going through this with me. I know you all can relate with me about the stress this process as caused. I hope all of you will get want you need in the end. One thing my dad told me is to " wait till the end of the movie" to make your final judgements. God bless

@jt8d I am sorry to hear you did not get in but am happy you are maintaining a positive outlook for your other choices. I will be applying to mdc next year and am wondering if they're adding new pre reqs? I read that in a previous post and was curious as to if it were true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the program is changing. It will be more closely related to all the other schools offering a PA degree. However, my re-apply roll over letter didn’t say so but they did tell us in person. Just go to any other PA program and check you will see other classes that are not offered at Miami Dade. Which I thought was interesting as to if you are a preselect PA program how do you take those classes, at another school? Just a thought..

Still haven't gotten a rejection email either. To all those that weren't accepted, there are many more options. Don't let a rejection discourage you, use it as a growing experience. You want to learn to walk, your gonna have to fall. If this is really what you want to do, you won't let an obstacle like this stop you from achieving it. Remember... when one door closes, another door opens.

To those that were accepted, first and foremost congratulations!! Secondly, Would you mind if I asked what your test scores were?

I got an 86 on the exam. But you have to remember, that's not the only thing they look at. In the end, they look at everything: GPA, healthcare experience and shadowing, letters of recommendation, test score, and interview.

I definitely agree with you OL-PA, don't let a rejection discourage you. This was my third year applying! If this is your dream, then just come back each time with more to offer..show them you're determined you WILL be a PA one day! ;)

Yea I understand it's the whole package they consider. This was my 2nd year applying and I feel I really had much more to offer than my first year. Cum GPA of 3.77, science GPA 3.88, 325 hours of shadowing experience, 3 recommendation letters and my test score was 91. I think my interview could have gone a little better but I can't say that it didn't go well.

@awhite1208 - Considering that you applied 3 times, any suggestions on how to further improve my package? I plan to continue to shadow, acquire some more recommendation letters and continue working on my bachelors which I project to have by the end of 2015. I figure since I can't apply to any other masters PA programs without my bachelors, it won't hurt to give the MDC program another shot.

All in all, I am using this as a learning experience. I understand that failure is part of success and I have no hard feelings towards the program or any faculty members that voted against me. I know I was up against very talented and capable individuals in their own right and i'm truly happy for those that were accepted. I wish you all the best in the challenges that await you in the program and I look forward to being your future colleague. For the rest of you, see you next year. =]

Very well said OL-PA. Don't give up. This was my first time applying and one thing I've noticed from a lot of other applicants throughout the process is having a bachelors degree and the type of medical certification you have gives you a lot of points. I have a bachelors in biology, minor in health policy administration, 2 yrs cardiovascular research, EMT lisence, 325 hrs as a PCT, 1 year as a health advisor. I'm only telling you this because your cumulative is higher than mine (science 3.9) and you scored much higher on the exam than I did. I think all the extras are what helped me, in other words diversify. I hope this helps everyone else who is going to apply again next year. Good luck and don't give up!

Yea I understand it's the whole package they consider. This was my 2nd year applying and I feel I really had much more to offer than my first year. Cum GPA of 3.77, science GPA 3.88, 325 hours of shadowing experience, 3 recommendation letters and my test score was 91. I think my interview could have gone a little better but I can't say that it didn't go well.

@awhite1208 - Considering that you applied 3 times, any suggestions on how to further improve my package? I plan to continue to shadow, acquire some more recommendation letters and continue working on my bachelors which I project to have by the end of 2015. I figure since I can't apply to any other masters PA programs without my bachelors, it won't hurt to give the MDC program another shot.

All in all, I am using this as a learning experience. I understand that failure is part of success and I have no hard feelings towards the program or any faculty members that voted against me. I know I was up against very talented and capable individuals in their own right and i'm truly happy for those that were accepted. I wish you all the best in the challenges that await you in the program and I look forward to being your future colleague. For the rest of you, see you next year. =]

You are for sure qualified but it is competitive. I have a bachelors and a master’s degree with a 3.97 GPA. When I did my shadowing last year the doctor loved me and hired me been working there ever since. I had 6 recommendation letters from Doctors but it is not all about that. That is why when I decided I wanted to be a PA last year I looked at all the programs in South Florida and I spend 2 semesters taking credits to match what I missed. So that I could apply to more than one school. So my advice is prepare for more than one school, diversify and finish your bachelors.

As others have said, getting more experience hours will definitely help you. Shadowing hours are great, but they don't count as "hands on experience," which is what most of these schools look for. If you can, obtain some type of certification, EMT, MA, phlebotomy, ect..,anything where you can get hands on patient care experience :)

@DVegaMed

I just called today and they said they will be sending out letters this week or next week. It will be both e-mailed and mailed to your house or just mailed, according to what the lady I spoke with told me. Can't imagine what's taking so long considering they were making calls two weeks ago...

Archived