Haven't heard back from any schools: what now? Masters? Reapply?

Long story short, I retook two classes (calculus and physics) in an attempt to raise my two C's to B's. Unfortunately, CASPA has to add all the grades that are on my transcript, and they do not replace grades for courses that were repeated. If both grades were on my transcript they would calculate both. This means that the C's were also added into my gpa putting it at 0.04 points less than what it really is.

According to my transcripts at UIUC, my GPA is exactly a 3.0. CASPA standardizes its calculations and calculated mine to be a 2.96. I would hope in rare cases where an applicant's GPA falls below a 3.0, but the applicant otherwise appears to be a sound candidate for interview, most PA programs would be able to put the difficulty of one's major into consideration. Because of my major, I was required to take the more rigorous level biochemistry and microbiology courses at my University. 

Currently I'm working as a research assistant at the University of Chicago's Eating Disorder Program. Through our studies, I take vitals for the patients then conduct patient assessments. Afterwards, I present these patients at our team meetings, and determine the best course of treatment with doctors, the psychiatrist, and therapists. So far I have about 500 patient contact hours.

Sadly I haven't received any interviews yet. I am considering applying for a masters in public health. Ideally, I do well and reapply.

I guess I'm not sure if I should work for a second year and gain more patient contact hours, or get my masters and aim for a higher GPA?

Long story short, I retook two classes (calculus and physics) in an attempt to raise my two C's to B's. Unfortunately, CASPA has to add all the grades that are on my transcript, and they do not replace grades for courses that were repeated. If both grades were on my transcript they would calculate both. This means that the C's were also added into my gpa putting it at 0.04 points less than what it really is.

According to my transcripts at UIUC, my GPA is exactly a 3.0. CASPA standardizes its calculations and calculated mine to be a 2.96. I would hope in rare cases where an applicant's GPA falls below a 3.0, but the applicant otherwise appears to be a sound candidate for interview, most PA programs would be able to put the difficulty of one's major into consideration. Because of my major, I was required to take the more rigorous level biochemistry and microbiology courses at my University.

Currently I'm working as a research assistant at the University of Chicago's Eating Disorder Program. Through our studies, I take vitals for the patients then conduct patient assessments. Afterwards, I present these patients at our team meetings, and determine the best course of treatment with doctors, the psychiatrist, and therapists. So far I have about 500 patient contact hours.

Sadly I haven't received any interviews yet. I am considering applying for a masters in public health. Ideally, I do well and reapply.

I guess I'm not sure if I should work for a second year and gain more patient contact hours, or get my masters and aim for a higher GPA?

I'm not sure where you applied, but some schools will accept a lower GPA if you have great LOR, an eye catching essay, and lots of HCE. But if this isn't the case, I would suggest an accelerated Masters because it can raise your GPA, show that you can handle a rigorous program, and possibly create an opportunity for better LOR. Or you can continue to take classes to raise your GPA, while continuing to accumulate HCE. Either way I would practice and study for the GRE. Scoring high on this exam can also help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrator

* Graduate programs will not change your undergraduate GPA.  CASPA is pretty clear about this.

* CASPA are very up-front and consistent about their GPA calculation rules, and your CASPA GPA is not 3.0, no matter what your university thinks it is.  There's really no excuse for you being surprised about this.

* Yes, you can try for the schools that cater to low-GPA folks... but odds are it would be easier and faster to actually get your GPA up past the threshold, because none of the programs that I'm aware of that allow lower GPA applicants will count your research as actual patient contact hours.  There may be some that do, but I would do some good research before you assumed it would actually be a viable path forward.

Overall, there's nothing that sounds particularly strong about your chances right now, so you may not get in this year.  I recommend you plan on not getting in, and continuing to improve your GPA and HCE over the next year--you have six months until the next application season, so make it count.  Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but reality is that the majority of PA school applicants don't make it in.

Completing a graduate program will not increase your UNDERGRAD GPA, but it will increase your OVERALL GPA. I'm not sure where you are financial on this issue, but it's difficult to fund additional undergrad classes on your own, since the government has limited aid if you have a bachelors already. By getting accepted to a Masters program, you will qualify for financial aid and will still have aid available for when you get into PA school. I have to agree with the others that at the moment you are not competitive enough, but I encourage you to keep trying if being a PA is truly what you want. It took me two application cycles before I was accepted and I was in a Ph.D program (Cell and Molecular Biology) before I changed careers. Research has very little bearing on your application. Believe me, at the time I had 5+ years of high quality research and still needed to take additional classes and I worked as a phlebotomist/patient care tech for a year. Inbox me if you need anymore advice.

Take more undergrad classes to raise your GPA and try to get HCE in a medical(vs. research) setting.

I second this.

While there is a chance you can still hear from a school, I would focus on strengthening your application via more classes and better HCE before going for a M.S. If you really want the masters because you like it or money is no option, then go for it, but I wouldn't do one just for the sake of doing one before taking some more undergrad classes. 

Taking additional undergrad classes will work, but know that there are a multitude of applicants doing the same thing. Getting good grades in a Masters program, preferably an accelerated program with set you aside from the pack. There will be others with Masters, so increasing your HCE, preferably in a hospital setting will also increase your competitiveness. I did these things and in 2 years I went from 1 interview(waitlisted)/4 rejections to 7 interviews(accepted to top choice; withdrew app at others)/2 rejections. There is hope. It's time to put in work.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking additional undergrad classes will work, but know that there are a multitude of applicants doing the same thing. Getting good grades in a Masters program, preferably an accelerated program with set you aside from the pack. There will be others with Masters, so increasing your HCE, preferably in a hospital setting will also increase your competitiveness. I did these things and in 2 years I went from 1 interview(waitlisted)/4 rejections to 7 interviews(accepted to top choice; withdrew app at others)/2 rejections. There is hope. It's time to put in work.

I would agree with looking into a graduate level program. Also, I would look at the "pre-reqs" for the program(s), Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry, Statistics, Biochemistry, Etc...(every school varies a bit) and make sure that your grades in these specific areas are competitive. If not, I would recommend retaking these courses, perhaps at a community college (to help save you a bit a money), because similar to what newbeginning mentioned, after you graduate with your Bachelors, school is expensive at the University level.

This is all a little disheartening. I'm graduating with my MS in Biomedical Science/Cardiovascular physiology next month because I decided to give up my PhD candidacy in order to apply to PA schools this app cycle. My undergrad GPA was a terrible 2.98, but my graduate GPA is 3.45. Does having a graduate degree even help you get noticed above others?

This is all a little disheartening. I'm graduating with my MS in Biomedical Science/Cardiovascular physiology next month because I decided to give up my PhD candidacy in order to apply to PA schools this app cycle. My undergrad GPA was a terrible 2.98, but my graduate GPA is 3.45. Does having a graduate degree even help you get noticed above others?

I think this was stated earlier but just to really emphasize it. Master's coursework grades will not affect your -undergraduate- GPA BUT CASPA will factor it into your -overall- GPA (cumulative, science, non-science). So your Master's degree GPA will be averaged in with your undergraduate GPA which in this case would help you since your graduate GPA is higher than your undergrad GPA.

For more on how CASPA determines GPA: https://portal.caspaonline.org/applicants2014/faq/gpas.htm

Long story short, I retook two classes (calculus and physics) in an attempt to raise my two C's to B's. Unfortunately, CASPA has to add all the grades that are on my transcript, and they do not replace grades for courses that were repeated. If both grades were on my transcript they would calculate both. This means that the C's were also added into my gpa putting it at 0.04 points less than what it really is.

Sadly I haven't received any interviews yet. I am considering applying for a masters in public health. Ideally, I do well and reapply.

Don't get your masters just to get it!!  I considered a similar path and was told by every PA program that I checked with that it was not necessary, and it was even somewhat discouraged.  Some schools stated that a masters in public health does not demonstrate the ability to conquer upper level biology courses and I would also add it would be a waste of money that would be better put forth retaking low grade prerequisites or taking those oh-so-fun upper level bio classes :) 

I know that we all have different opinions here, but I can not urge you enough to contact the schools you are interested in and ask what they would like to see you do; course-wise and experience-wise

You are on the cusp of a 3.0 that it surely wouldn't take you more than a mere semester of courses (or even an online upper bio course from UNE that could be started anytime-widely accepted if you haven't had other online prerequisites) to surpass that. 

If you are really motivated to be a PA then do what you need to do and reapply :) 

I am sure the degree will benefit you, but you will surely have to consider explaining why you changed from PhD to an MS in biomed, then to PA. They will want to know that you truly are after becoming a PA.

Undoubtedly an MS in biomedical science carries more weight than an masters in public health- Good luck to you!

A Masters in Biomedical Science, Physiology, Kinesiology, etc are the types of curriculums that satisfy most of the PA prereqs and can demonstrate your ability to handle the material. Completing an 'accelerated' program gives you more bonus points because it can illustrate your ability to handle a rigorous program (2 year program crammed into one year). If you have the money to pay for classes a la carte, then I recommend going that route. But I agree with bnicole, it is important to get someone to review your application and provide you advice on how to increase your competitiveness. I was told to take 3-4 graduate level science courses simultaneously (Rutgers), of which I couldn't afford out of pocket. A one year masters was the best thing for me. I went from 1 interview to 5 interviews (Stony Brook, Rutgers, Pace, Chatham, Wayne State). Get some advice directly from your schools of interest before investing in a Masters. You may find out your essay or LOM are what killed your application.

I would definitely contact the schools at the top of your list or the schools that place a greater on emphasis on recent coursework. It is likely that some schools would value a one year master's degree while others would prefer additional undergraduate coursework and more health care experience. Additionally, there are some schools that specifically state that the last 60 or so credits taken are weighed more heavily so it might be a good idea to take a look at those schools if you choose to go the undergraduate route. Ultimately I would choose the path that you feel is best suited for you, because that is where you will excel!

• 3 months later...

Title: The First Annual Pre-Healthcare Interdisciplinary Seminar

Location: Wayne State University Student Center (5221 Gullen Mall, Detroit, Michigan 48202)

Room 289 Conference Room - 2nd Floor.

Time: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm

The Michigan Physician Assistant Foundation (MIPAF) is hosting this seminar to help prospective PA students learn more about the PA profession, roles of the PA on the healthcare team and how it is changing as well, changing laws and the impact of the Affordable Care Act on the PA profession. We will also be discussing application improvement resources, and ways to help your PA program application shine.

We would love to have as many Pre-PA students to learn more about the profession, current PA students, and seasoned PAs in the audience to answer questions of the pre-PAs. At the end of the seminar, we would like to offer a Q & A session with access to the current PA students and seasoned PAs as a resource in the audience.

Questions will most likely focus on getting accepted to a PA program, application questions, and application improvement inquiries, maybe even community service locations.

Speakers:

Kathy Dobbs PA-C - President of Michigan Physician Assistant Foundation (MIPAF) ----- Speaking about MIPAF history and mission.

Bob Ross PA-C - MIPAF Secretary & Owner of Triad Diagnostics ----- Speaking on the changing laws of healthcare as they impact PAs.

James Frick PA-C - Speaking on the roles of PAs on the healthcare team and on the various roles a PA can partake.

Lindsay Gietzen PA-C - WSU PA Program Professor - Speaking on getting accepted to a PA program, how to make your application stand out, red flags to be aware of when applying to programs.

Tentative Speaker: Angela Braun PA-S - MIPAF Marketing Director & Owner of Braun Medical Marketing --- Speaking on research conducted on Affordable Care Act and its impact on the PA profession - for better or worse. Also, community service resources, and application readiness.

Audience:
We have invited the WSU Pre-PA society, Pre-Healthcare Interactive Student Organization (PISO), and UDM Pre-PA group.

We also invited the current WSU PA classes of 2014, 2015, & 2016 to help these prospective students on their path to understanding the PA profession.

Archived