Q&A about UND's PA program

Hello all,

I am currently a student at the UND PA program.  I am making this post to allow anyone interested in the program to ask questions you have about the selection process, pre-req's, HCE (healthcare experience), or anything related to the application/admissions and so forth.  Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

-Parker

PA-S

Class of 2015

UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences

Physician Assistant Program

• 2 months later...

Hi OkieMed. I actually do have some questions. I have been a paramedic/ firefighter in Texas for 10 years and also worked as an anesthesia tech in surgery for three years. I have an interest in the UND program.

1) How competitive is the selection process?

2) How many students are in your graduating class?

3) Are you able to work during the 1st part of the program, before you start the clinicals?

4) Is it difficult to find your own precepting physician or physician assistant?

5) Do you have to have all the prerequisites finished before applying? I still need a medical terminology and pharmacology class and wonder if I can finish those while going through the application process.

• 2 weeks later...

Nebchad

-The selection process is just like any other program, it is competitive and also difficult at times.  You have to do a CASPA application as well as supplemental application also. 

-Right now we have 26 in our class, started with 28.

-You are able to work but it is highly advised not to work.  I worked but at times my home life suffered.  It is tough but it is also how well the support system is that can help you also.

-It can be difficult but also if you work in or around healthcare, befriend a doc who knows a family practicioner and that helps.

-You can be in the process of taking certain pre-req's but they have to be finished before you begin the program. 

Hope this helps some.

Question about HCE:

I have been a paramedic for the last 5 years with a busy Inner city/under-served population base.  For the last year I have been considered part-time (30ish hrs a week) while I attend university classes.  Would my total hours of HCE experience, which totals roughly 6000-7000 as a medic, allow me to be eligible for acceptance OR has my change in status while going to school disqualified me?

I appreciate any feedback!

That should work as long as you are still working and also have met the criteria for HCE.  I was a Flight Medic and also still worked ground for awhile while I was finishing my BS up, and my hours were less than 30 some weeks.  I think all in all if you are somewhat still working and also have met the HCE requirements, you should be ok.  Keep the good questions coming!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just found that most of the didactic portion of this program is by distance education.

I didn't realize there were programs like this for Physician Assistant. Is this the only one with this design?

Are the students able to find work in their local areas at the same rate?

Guest Paula

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health has a 3 year distance PA program.  1st two years didactic part-time via distance and the last year full time in your clinical rotations.   I was their first graduate in 2004 and it has been a very successful program.   Campus visits were required during the first two years for certain things such as workshops (suture, casting, splinting, etc.) and for some testing.  It works great for WI, MN and IA students.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering applying to this program.  I have taken physiology, but it was over 10 years ago.  More recently I have taken pathophysiology.  Could this count as my physiology prereq?

Thank you!

The best way to find out if pre-reqs meet the program requirement is to call or email the program and give them: the course description, number of crredits, university where you took class and when.

Eric

PA-S

UND PA Program Class of 2016

I am applying to the UND program and I am wondering about the required on site course time.  Does the school provide dorm rooms during this period or are we on our own to find accommodations?

Thanks

The school does not provide accommodations.  However the program has agreements with many hotels to offer deep discounted rates for it's students. example: $30/ngt

Eric

PA-S

UND PA Program Class of 2016

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@Chazilla. This may be a little late and you may have already applied but respiratory therapist HCE would count. I'm a RRT 3.5 yeas of full time experience and was accepted for the class 2017. You might want to email them about ECG tech. How many years did you work as a RT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Lilobe33- as long as you have a BS degree and at the minimum of three years working as a nurses you should qualify. The more HCE you have will make you more a competitive applicant. I have a BS in respiratory care and had three years of HCE. Your GPA of course is awesome, no problems there. I'm just starting the program in May, but I have two co works currently in the program and one worked full time and the other part time for the online period. After that they when PRN. The program highly suggests that you do not work during clinical phase.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I am currently in the application process and am wondering if an application is still valid with a pre-req course with a grade C? I took a series of three pharmacology classes (all one credit) for nursing school and received a B and two Cs. Will my application still be valid? Have students been accepted before with pre-req coursework lower than a B? Thank you in advance!!

• 6 months later...

I am seriously considering applying to this school. I have 11 years of experience as a Rad Tech and a Bach in Bus Admin (concentration in healthcare).

I haven't had any of the pre-reqs in the past 10 years tho.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to take the pre-reqs again.. Maybe any online schools??

Thanks in advance!!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...