Hey Guys,

I have an interview coming up with this program.  However, I cant find any information on their curriculum.  It is very vague on the website.  Are there any current students out there that can shed some light on the subject?

Do they have cadavers? Where are rotation sites? What are the options for elective rotations? etc.

I want to do primary care, but I also have a strong affinity for sugery as well.  I would like the confidence by being able to dissect cadavers before cutting into live patients.

Not a current student, but I attended the admissions open house, and have had Nova Jax PA students rotate at my clinic.

No cadavers, they're not set up for that.

Rotation sites spread from Tallahassee to southeastern Georgia, mostly in the Jacksonville area.

Not a current student, but I attended the admissions open house, and have had Nova Jax PA students rotate at my clinic.

No cadavers, they're not set up for that.

Rotation sites spread from Tallahassee to southeastern Georgia, mostly in the Jacksonville area.

For the rotation sites that spread from Tallahassee to southern Georgia - are these options for students with family there? Or does everyone end up going there because there aren't enough sites in Jacksonville? 

For the rotation sites that spread from Tallahassee to southern Georgia - are these options for students with family there? Or does everyone end up going there because there aren't enough sites in Jacksonville? 

I don't speak for the program, but I can relay what I've heard from the program and some of the students.

It's a little of both -- I live in southeast Georgia, and would welcome the opportunity to rotate in sites closer to home both for convenience and to increase my chances of being hired after graduation. So that's a benefit for me.

The Jax market has a lot of opportunities for rotations, but there is a surprising amount of competition for preceptor bandwidth with other programs in the area -- UF Health is in Jax, and naturally their first priority are UF medical and PA students, for instance. The Nova campuses try not to operate in each others' backyards, which is good.

The entire curriculum is in the program handbook on the website.  It is pretty standard to what you would see at most programs.  As stated, no cadaver lab, only Davies has it and they share with the DO students...my understanding. 

Most folks that want to stay in the Jax area can...but you may have better opportunities with some of their distant sites simply due to lack of competition.  Nova has housing set up for all of their sponsored distant sites.  You can set up your own rotation anywhere you like as long as you complete a very lengthy paperwork process...folks in the last class did it, so it is doable.

Electives can pretty much be whatever you want, as long as it is available...just know you may have to travel if it isn't available in Jax. 

I haven't heard any big complaints from the last class about rotations, so I think they have a pretty good system in place.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tllehann
      My name is Tessa and I am currently an MA at a dermatology clinic. I am aspiring to be a PA and will be applying during the next cycle. I have worked along side PAs for about 2 years now in dermatology and have experience working in a level 1 ED. However, I am looking for any PA shadow opportunity in Arizona that is not dermatology as I want to branch out and have an understanding of what PAs do in different fields. I live in Glendale but I am willing to travel anywhere in Arizona.
      If you are a PA or know a PA or any open opportunities feel free to reach out to me on here. 
      Thank you! 

• By PrePA1208
      I worked as a PRN rehab technician for about 3 months (roughly 20 hours a week) before I became Full-Time (40 hours a week).  How do I record this change in hours? Do I make two separate entries or average the hours per week?  My hours for PRN also varied each week, with weeks working up to 30 hours and sometimes only 15 hours. Do I need to record this somehow? I also do not understand how PA schools validate that the numbers of hours stated are honest. Is there some sort of validation document needed from each employer from past jobs.  Any advice is appreciated, thank you!
    • By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By PANCEon
      I wish at 18, I would've chosen the pre-pa route and gotten an associate's degree in DMS or an echo cardiogram tech then continued to get certified in different specialties. I may have taken pre med courses as well. Became a CNA and worked in many different specialties, hospitals, hospice, nursing and rehab facilities for experience, money, connections, letters of recommendation, on the job training to get certified in imaging, phlebotomy, resp tech, occupational or physical therapy technicians, basic EMT 1-IV, ER tech, pharmacy tech, and become a American Red Cross CNA trainer or at least CPR, AED, BLS, first aid and phlebotomy instructor's. Setting up blood drives, charity events etc. Too many ideas to count. I know now that being a healthcare professional  is my calling. Some ppl can just play the piano, which I can't, but medicine/biology/anatomy, makes perfect sense. But, I'm 40 now, and my Psychology degree I got in 2001 afforded me sales positions from food broker territory manager, pharmaceutical sales, animal diagnostic laboratory sales manager. I worked from home and travelled all over. I liked being my own boss, and other's as well. I then became a seller and writer of mortgages. Now, I have been on disability for 10yrs and am ready to do what I was meant to. I just wish I was younger. That's why it's important for me to manage my time and not waste a minute doing something that isn't going to help me get in a program. 

• By Nrm1010
      Hi everyone!

This is my first post in this forum. So glad I found it! Anyways, I am currently applying to PA programs, and I have a question regarding my patient care experience. I work as a medical technician at a nursing home. Up until this point, I have about 800 hours. However, some of the schools I am applying to require 1000+ hours. I will easily get these hours done by the end of the summer. Should I put my "end date" on the CASPA as (ex) August 31st, 2019? That way, I can approximate the amount of hours I work a week to put myself over 1000 (and so the schools won't immediately throw out my application)!
      I have a 4.0 major GPA (Biology) and 3.96 overall GPA, 50+ hours shadowing a PA, 100+ volunteer hours, and scored above the 60th percentile on all sections of my GRE. Do you think this bare minimum of hours will hurt my chances into getting into PA programs? Right now, I am planning on applying to DeSales, Arcadia, Chatham, and Yale (as well as a few others).

Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More