Hey Guys,

I have an interview coming up with this program.  However, I cant find any information on their curriculum.  It is very vague on the website.  Are there any current students out there that can shed some light on the subject?

Do they have cadavers? Where are rotation sites? What are the options for elective rotations? etc.

I want to do primary care, but I also have a strong affinity for sugery as well.  I would like the confidence by being able to dissect cadavers before cutting into live patients.

Not a current student, but I attended the admissions open house, and have had Nova Jax PA students rotate at my clinic.

No cadavers, they're not set up for that.

Rotation sites spread from Tallahassee to southeastern Georgia, mostly in the Jacksonville area.

For the rotation sites that spread from Tallahassee to southern Georgia - are these options for students with family there? Or does everyone end up going there because there aren't enough sites in Jacksonville? 

For the rotation sites that spread from Tallahassee to southern Georgia - are these options for students with family there? Or does everyone end up going there because there aren't enough sites in Jacksonville? 

I don't speak for the program, but I can relay what I've heard from the program and some of the students.

It's a little of both -- I live in southeast Georgia, and would welcome the opportunity to rotate in sites closer to home both for convenience and to increase my chances of being hired after graduation. So that's a benefit for me.

The Jax market has a lot of opportunities for rotations, but there is a surprising amount of competition for preceptor bandwidth with other programs in the area -- UF Health is in Jax, and naturally their first priority are UF medical and PA students, for instance. The Nova campuses try not to operate in each others' backyards, which is good.

The entire curriculum is in the program handbook on the website.  It is pretty standard to what you would see at most programs.  As stated, no cadaver lab, only Davies has it and they share with the DO students...my understanding. 

Most folks that want to stay in the Jax area can...but you may have better opportunities with some of their distant sites simply due to lack of competition.  Nova has housing set up for all of their sponsored distant sites.  You can set up your own rotation anywhere you like as long as you complete a very lengthy paperwork process...folks in the last class did it, so it is doable.

Electives can pretty much be whatever you want, as long as it is available...just know you may have to travel if it isn't available in Jax. 

I haven't heard any big complaints from the last class about rotations, so I think they have a pretty good system in place.

Archived