When to take PANCE? this year (6 year cycle) OR next (10 year)

Hello everybody - Just quickly wanted to solicit advice.  I'm in my last week of PA school this week.  We officially graduate early December.  Currently scheduled to take PANCE on December 3rd.  that would put me on the 6 year re-cert track.  Otherwise, I've considered changing the date until January 3rd, which puts me on the new 10 year cycle.  I currently do not have a job lined up.  I am financially stable and do not need income coming in immediately to keep me afloat, especially since loans don't require repayment until 6 months, so I could wait until January.  I'm on the fence on this issue and wanted to get some advice from you all.

I'm currently leaning to just taking it on December 3rd to get it over with.  But will I really enjoy those extra 4 years if I wait until early 2014 to certify?  Will I have a harder time finding a job if I'm searching and I don't yet have that "C" after my "PA" ? 

What would you do or recommend?  Thanks.

tough choice

a thought

if you are going to specialize I would go the 10 year route (you will have to study hard to pass PANRE)

If you are going into internal medicine (primary care - you will not likely have to study to pass PANRE) then do the 6 year route.....

But realistically need to figure out (which I have yet to do) rather there is any other differences as well..

You should take the test when you are freshest. That means as close to graduation as possible. Knowledge and test-taking skills atrophy quickly once you're out of school.

For this reason I would lean toward the 6-yr recert the first time anyway...in fact I thought that was the plan, and then subsequent PANREs would be on the 10-yr cycle. But then I am quite out of the loop these days.

Either way, best wishes and congrats on being almost done!

They moved it to 2015, emed. Got an email saying it was pushed back a year.

seriously? you just made my day! 

just reviewed their site, I think I am still hosed. they base it off when your cycle ends(2015 for me), not when you take the test. taking the test 1 yr early doesn't help me:

Q. If I take PANRE a year early in 2013 but my sixth year is 2014, will I recertify again in 6 years or 10 years?

A. Taking PANRE a year early doesn't change your certification maintenance cycle, so you would transition to the 10-year cycle once your certification is updated in 2014 and would be due to pass PANRE again in 2024.

I sent nccpa an email to confirm. their response:

Thank you for your e-mail. If you choose to take and pass a recertification exam in your fifth year (2014), it will not change your certification maintenance cycle. In 2015, you would still have to log your 2013-2015 CME credits and submit your 2015 certification maintenance fee in order to update to your next cycle.
You will be moving to the 10-year testing cycle regardless of when you take the exam.

Archived