PA-adopt a village?

I've had a thought for a while about us PAs adopting a village that has no health care, and create a permanent medical presence. I  know that there are PAs who have given their lives to such a thing, but I thought it could be a nice project for us here.

I had a heart for a village that I spent some time in a few years ago, Lapa, Nepal.  It has a 45 mile walk to the nearest jeep trial.  Then a 30 mile jeep trial to the nearest paved road and no health care at all..  Now I have contact with a village in Darfur.  I had friends who just got back and we (I gave money but no time so far) to get them their first well.  However they have absolutely no health care.  I'm thinking of going next year.  But wouldn't be great if we could come together, give some money to build and supply it, and then give our time to "man" it while we get a permanent health care worker?  What about the PA-Forum Health Center?  Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

I think it would be better to do this as a project with an established non-profit rather than create a new organization.  I worked with a Hindu group in Nepal (Himalayan Health Care) and have participated with a (loosely) Christian group (World Concern) in Darfur. In Darfur, World Concern allowed us to adopt a village where we have spent $100,000 over the last year to build wells, a school and brought in teachers.  They do not have a medical clinic but now a national nurse has visited on occasion ( I think doing vaccinations).  But having a group of PAs fund and bring care, until the locals can take over would be a great idea.

Archived