Still waiting on an invite for my supplemental app. Any input appreciated.

I'm really starting to wonder why I haven't heard anything about submitting my supplemental application, and I'm looking for some feedback.

My stats aren't great, but I feel like they're definitely competitive enough to reward me a shot at a supplemental. My cumulative GPA is 3.33 and my science GPA is a 3.42. I've also got nearly 5,000 hours of HCE (2,000+ of which is working with the underserved), along with 1,000+ hours working for a cutting edge telemedicine company. All of the people who wrote me LORs (MD I shadowed in the ER and worked for at telemedicine company, NP I worked under as a telemetry tech, and the head of the biology department at the school I graduated from) e-mailed me copies outside of CASPA, and they all came across as very impressive, so I know that isn't an issue.

I submitted my application at the beginning of September, so it's been nearly 8 weeks. Touro was my #1 target, and I just can't understand why I haven't heard back yet. Am I just being impatient? Does it usually take this long? Would it be okay to contact them and ask about the status of my application? Like I said, just feeling kind of at a loss right now, so I'd appreciate ANY feedback. Thanks guys.

I'm sorry that no one is responding to you. I submitted my applications mid-August and have only interviewed at one school and already got the "sorry try again next time," from 3 schools. As for Touro, I think it is a great program because you can potentially gain so much from it, especially if you are interested in public health. I submitted my primary mid-August (like I mentioned earlier), and finally received my supplemental in the 1st week of September. I turned it in that week, and have not heard anything since. I've got decent stats, 3.5 GPA, 3.2 Science, 2,000+ HCE, a handful of articles printed in medical journals as well as poster presentations, 1000+ hours working as a volunteer in various areas both medical and non-medical (as well as underserved communities). I sent an email update about my work hours, volunteer hours, and education/skills development to Naisha Bible 2 weeks ago, and received no response. I'd say try and keep them in the loop, but don't spam them.

Thanks a lot for the response. Searching around on here I found a couple people who said it took 8 weeks to receive an invite to submit the supplemental, so that's awesome that it only took 2 weeks for you. I've decided that if I don't hear something within the next week I'll try to give them a call and see if they'll give me any information. Thanks again and good luck with the school you interviewed at!

nebaker I'm sorry to hear that you haven't heard back from the school. I hope you hear something soon! Your stats sound good and competitive so that shouldn't be the issue. I've learned through 2 years of applying that you really don't know what the committee is really looking for. All you can do it believe in yourself and keep trying if you don't succeed this year. Here is my timeline for Touro, if it helps :)

CASPA submitted: June 21st 

Heard from Touro that is was received: July 22nd

Invited to submit a secondary application: July 22nd (same day) 

Touro sent an email that application is complete: August 12th

Interview invite: September 4th

Interview date: Oct 1st

Accepted into the program: Oct 22nd

As a last note, I know they are really busy right now dealing with the newly accepted students and their required paperwork and some glithces in the online system. Also, they have interviews coming up on Nov 17th. If I were you, I would call and check on the status of my application because perhaps something has held up the process. They are extremely nice and always willing to talk. Good luck. (If you want any more of my info private message me) 

Hi NeBaker,

I don't know if my timeline will help any because I got waitlisted, but maybe having a second timeline will help?

CASPA submitted/verified: June 26, 2013 
Invite to Touro Supplemental: July 22, 2013 

Submitted my Touro app: August 21, 2013 

Invited to interview: September 4, 2013 

Interview date: October 1, 2013

Placed on waitlist: October 25, 2013. 

Hope that helps in some way!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the response. Searching around on here I found a couple people who said it took 8 weeks to receive an invite to submit the supplemental, so that's awesome that it only took 2 weeks for you. I've decided that if I don't hear something within the next week I'll try to give them a call and see if they'll give me any information. Thanks again and good luck with the school you interviewed at!

Hey nebaker,

I submitted my supplemental application mid-September.  I emailed Natasha earlier this week and she said they're currently reviewing my application.  I can only assume they're also reviewing yours since we submitted our supplemental around the same time.  You have great stats.  Have you heard back for an interview invite yet?

Just as a follow-up. I got ahold of Naisha last week and found out that the school e-mailed me on October 16 to say that they were reviewing my application, and then again on October 17 to invite me to submit the supplemental app. However, I never got either e-mail, and because of the 30 day deadline following the initial invitation, I had to scramble to get my supplemental essays in within two days, which was rough, but much better than missing out completely. So remember guys, ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR SPAM FILTERS TURNED OFF.

Archived