Chances of getting into PA school after receiving a WF in a nursing class?

To make a long story short, there is a high likelihood that I will be receiving either an F or a WF (probably the latter) in a nursing program course I'm currently taking. I won't have any problems finishing the other nursing course (which is worth fewer credits) with an A. I'm currently in my third semester of the nursing program. I originally received special permission to just take the first semester courses of the nursing program I'm in for the sake of earning HCE, and prior to that, I earned a B.S. in a different discipline with the goal of going to either PA or AA school. If there is one thing that nursing has revealed to me, it's that I really want to be a PA and not a nurse. I feel like it was a mistake to continue with taking additional nursing classes, and now I'm looking at a WF. I guess that at the time, I just figured, "Well, I'm already in a nursing program, so I guess I might as well continue on and become a nurse."

I'm going to file an academic appeal soon to hopefully have the WF converted to a WP, but if that doesn't happen, then will the WF absolutely destroy my chances of getting accepted to a PA program? Furthermore, even if I get the WF converted to a WP, will that still raise a prominent red flag? 

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Sorry to hear about your grade. If there is any way to turn it around, by all means do that. If not, take your lumps and move on.

I think far too many of us fall for the "one mistake and you're out" theory of life. Your application will contain more than a WP or a WF. Do well on what you have to take, get good recommendations and have good experience. And come across as a mature, focused, team player in your interviews. 

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses and advice. The WF hasn't actually been applied to my transcript/GPA yet, but I have around a 3.65 without it. Of course, once the WF has been attributed to my GPA, I imagine it will drop to 3.5 or lower (but maybe not -- I have taken 130+ college credits, so maybe that will provide something of a "cushion"). 

I know it sounds like I'm rushing the process, but honestly, since I realize I likely have no future in nursing and would actually rather be a PA, I'd like to get my applications submitted to programs as soon as possible. After doing a bit of research, I have learned that the current admissions cycles for many programs whose accepted applicants will matriculate during the summer/fall of 2014 will end on/around Nov. 1st. Having said that, do you guys think it is entirely unrealistic for me to even attempt to apply at this point?

Also, does anyone know if there is a list of programs that are still accepting applications that will begin classes this summer or fall (2014)? 

I'm filling out the CASPA application as I type this, so it might not even be realistic to expect to meet several schools' Nov. 1st deadline, especially since I still have to send my GRE scores to CASPA (doing that tonight as well). 

In addition to my GPA of 3.65 (which, of course, is probably about to be lowered significantly by a WF), my GRE scores are: 159 (V), 148 (Q), and 4.0 (AW). If the WF knocks my GPA to 3.5 or lower and with those GRE scores, do you guys think I have much of a chance at receiving interview invites from many (any?) of the schools throughout the southeast? The nursing classes and clinicals are also my primary source of HCE. 

... In addition to my GPA of 3.65 (which, of course, is probably about to be lowered significantly by a WF), my GRE scores are: 159 (V), 148 (Q), and 4.0 (AW). If the WF knocks my GPA to 3.5 or lower and with those GRE scores, do you guys think I have much of a chance at receiving interview invites from many (any?) of the schools throughout the southeast? The nursing classes and clinicals are also my primary source of HCE. 

Look at the accepted student stats of the programs to see the competitive GRE scores. While some schools do value the GRE highly, for others it is more of a formality and scores aren't critical. Of course, there are also PLENTY of programs nationwide that do not use the GRE at all.

About the HCE, I don't know what your specific programs require, but I know of some programs that specifically state they they DO NOT count the things you had to do to earn a certification/license to work in healthcare as healthcare experience. I heard an admissions director at an open house say "we consider that double dipping. We only count the hours you gained after you became a certified paramedic/nurse/etc".

I really like UGoLong's response too!

Thanks rcreek!

As far as applying now, I don't know what the rest of your qualifications are like. If you like your experience, references, and can afford the fees, you could always just go ahead.

As my late mother would say, "what's the worse thing that can happen?" Yes, you might get turned down, but you're not in PA school now anyway, are you?

And going through the process will teach you a lot whether you get in this time or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks rcreek! As far as applying now, I don't know what the rest of your qualifications are like. If you like your experience, references, and can afford the fees, you could always just go ahead. As my late mother would say, "what's the worse thing that can happen?" Yes, you might get turned down, but you're not in PA school now anyway, are you? And going through the process will teach you a lot whether you get in this time or not. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks. I guess I'll go ahead and give it a shot since there are a number of programs throughout the southeast that will accept applications up until Jan.-Feb. Although now, I'm not really sure about the feasibility of applying to programs with Nov. 1st application deadlines since CASPA's "FAQ" states that it can take up to 4 weeks for an application to become complete/verified.

Also, for how many days do most applicants shadow a PA before requesting that they serve as a CASPA reference? Is it generally considered to be in poor form to ask for one after having shadowed for just a day? (The good news is that the other 2 references will be easy for me to line up, however.)

It's highly unlikely you will meet any Nov 1st deadlines. That is 10 days from now. In that time you must have your transcripts sent, verified, GRE scores sent and verified, and your recommendations in. Then the whole thing has to be transmitted to your schools. They recommend starting applications long before now, I just cannot see how you could possibly get your whole thing complete before the deadline. Even if everything else was complete, recommendations are often a hold up. If the two recommendations you "know" are close to you, asking them to rush might be okay. As for your third, you just admitted that you will have to ask after shadowing for one day - that is a little bit forward in my opinion. It makes it seem like you shadowed them only as a formality so you could get the PA reference, and I doubt they would be happy about that. Add on to that the fact that you would have to say "Can you do a recommendation for me even though I only met you this morning...and could you please be quick about it because the deadline is in a week??" and I don't see how that could EVER go over well...

Get your LORs from people who know you well. An opportunity to get an offset to your WF would be for you to have a nursing instructor or a preceptor write one of them.

As I've said before elsewhere on this forum, an LOR is a marketing tool to get an interview, like your essay. Don't just check a box; pick someone who can say things about you that you could never say about yourself. 

When I did this, I picked a professor (who could speak for my academics) , the chief of my EMS unit (who could speak for my healthcare experience), and a very good friend who had worked with me for years (who could speak for my work ethic).

Deploy your resources wisely; so much else of the application process involves numbers and things that don't let the schools see you for who you really are.

You're right -- expecting to have my references, shadowing time, and overall application completed in less than 10 days is not realistic at all. So I guess I'll just focus on receiving interview invites from the schools with Jan. - Feb. deadlines. 

Also, I was reading more about CASPA's GPA calculation policy regarding course re-takes. I originally made C's when I took physics 1 and 2, and when I re-took them, I made a B and an A -- however, since CASPA will calculate both attempts into my GPA, that means the original 2 C's will count. So actually, I was incorrect when I stated earlier that my GPA was a 3.65, because my university has a grade forgiveness policy (I.e., according to their version of my GPA, the C's are no longer factored in). But those C's actually will be factored in for my CASPA GPA. 

Also, my instructors said I can meet with them soon to discuss the WF (which apparently hasn't been applied by them yet) -- but here's the problem.... I have already had my transcripts submitted to CASPA. I'm not sure how long it will be until the WF is added to my grade, and I found out that the appeal I'm planning on filing will not be heard by the appeals committee until early January. So in other words, it could be several more weeks before I'm dropped from the course with a WF, and conversely, the grade could be converted to a WP in early January.

So with that predicament explained, what should I do about my CASPA application? With deadlines fast approaching, I obviously don't have time hold-off on submitting my applications (and as I said, my transcripts have already been mailed off to CASPA). And I likely won't receive any interview invites until well after the first week of January, at which point the WF could have been converted to a WP. 

So with all that having been said, what do you guys think I should do? Should I send some kind of email to CASPA letting them know what the deal is? Or should I get in touch directly with the schools I'm applying to when/if the WF is handed down?

Your problem here isn't the impact it'll have on your GPA so much as it is the fact it is a recent F.  It's one thing to explain how a few bad grades in the past weren't reflective of one's abilities and show an upward trend, but you now have a downward one(or an outlier at best).

Good point. Will it be as suggestive of a downward trend if the grade is a WF and not an F (even though they both affect the GPA in the same manner)? 

Also, if I happen to have my PA applications completed and submitted before the WF is granted, then what do I do? Notify all schools immediately at that point, or only if they offer me an interview? Or, since I have a chance of getting the WF converted to a W (which would have no effect on my GPA) in January, should I just submit final transcripts to PA programs after that decision has been made? (since I'm not likely to have any interviews scheduled earlier than January anyways)

Okay, I talked with my instructors yesterday, and it looks like I have no choice except to take a WF. However, they said that the WF won't actually show up on my transcripts (which have already been sent to CASPA) until the end of the semester in December. So what should I do? If my interviewers bring up the subject of my nursing coursework, should I just immediately tell them I'll be getting a WF this semester? 

I guess I don't understand what the WF is.....at my school is you dropped a class after a certain point it would show up as a "W" for withdrawn...but it didn't hurt your GPA at all....I was told that if you have one or two "W's" on your transcript that it would be ok, but if you have a bunch of them it looks bad.....I had one "W" from when I tried to take general chem 1 the first time...but I took it later and my grade was fine....no one even asked about the "W" when I went to my interviews....I know some people were asked to explain some things on their transcript, but as long as you can explain it without like making excuses, I think you will be fine....does the WF affect your GPA at all?

I guess I don't understand what the WF is.....at my school is you dropped a class after a certain point it would show up as a "W" for withdrawn...but it didn't hurt your GPA at all....I was told that if you have one or two "W's" on your transcript that it would be ok, but if you have a bunch of them it looks bad.....I had one "W" from when I tried to take general chem 1 the first time...but I took it later and my grade was fine....no one even asked about the "W" when I went to my interviews....I know some people were asked to explain some things on their transcript, but as long as you can explain it without like making excuses, I think you will be fine....does the WF affect your GPA at all?

Yeah, at my university, if you drop a class after mid-term date of the semester, it affects your GPA as an F (I.e., a 0). But the thing is, it won't actually be recorded on my transcript or applied to my GPA until early/mid-December, and my transcripts have to be received by PA programs before then. 

Well....if you filled out the caspa now you would have to put your current classes (including this WF one) as in progress and then send your transcripts as is asap because they are needed for caspa to be verified...it actually might work in your favor because you could be offered interviews without them seeing the WF on your transcript...however you might want to say something like I dropped the class because I didn't want to do nursing any more, etc. because if you get accepted, they'd want your updated transcripts...you would also have to make sure you maintained the minimum GPA with the WF....

Well....if you filled out the caspa now you would have to put your current classes (including this WF one) as in progress and then send your transcripts as is asap because they are needed for caspa to be verified...it actually might work in your favor because you could be offered interviews without them seeing the WF on your transcript...however you might want to say something like I dropped the class because I didn't want to do nursing any more, etc. because if you get accepted, they'd want your updated transcripts...you would also have to make sure you maintained the minimum GPA with the WF....

Yeah, I've been thinking about the exact same points you brought up. I actually already had my transcripts mailed out to CASPA a few days ago since the application deadlines for so many programs are drawing so near. BTW, does it usually take the full 10 days for a transcript to show up in CASPA as having been "received?" According to my school, mine was mailed out earlier this week, but I talked to CASPA's cust. service earlier today and they said they still haven't received it...

I am not really sure...I applied super early in the cycle so my whole process took longer than usual I think....I would think it would take at least a week for them to receive it and process it though....I wouldn't stress too much....as long as your GPA is good after the WF and its not in a prereq (and you can explain your grade if asked), I think you will be fine :-)

Thanks for the words of encouragement, ceschlorff. :-)

But guys -- I just thought about something else. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding my "departure," so to speak, from nursing, is it likely that the ad. coms. at certain schools will consider the fact that I'm deciding not to continue on with nursing as an indication that I don't have the motivation/drive to become a PA? In other words, how likely are they to come to the conclusion that they don't want me as a student at their program because I wasn't even motivated to "stick it out" with nursing? Especially if they receive applicants from other individuals who actually are nurses? 

Sorry to beat this thread into the ground, but I just learned that CASPA calculates nursing courses into the "Other Sciences" GPA, which in turn is calculated into the overall science GPA. With the WF being in a 7 credit course, this will absolutely destroy my science GPA. I'll be lucky if it's even a 3.1 after the WF is added in. I also retook two 3-credit science courses that I originally made C's in. This sucks. I guess at this point, my only recourse is to either retake the 7 credit WF course or take 7 additional credits' worth of science classes and make A's in them?

Archived