What to do after being accepted

I have been accepted to a program and am now wondering what I am supposed to be doing between now and the time when the program starts.  For the past couple of years, so much of my energy has gone into being the best possible candidate I can be, and now I feel like I need to change gears to prepare for actually being a student.  I'm thinking that I should spend the next several months trying to earn as much money as I can (to prepare for the time when I won't have an income); brush up on some A&P; read up on genetics, pharmacology, and so forth; apply for loans and scholarships; get as much as I can in my personal life squared away before school starts (home repairs, medical appointments, and such); and try to take some time to relax.  Anything else I should be thinking of? 

(And, yes, I'm aware that this is a great problem to have.)

1. Take a deep breath and relax.

2. It is not necessary to pre-read for PA school.  That was the purpose of your HCE and undergraduate education.  Take this time to RELAX.  It is MORE important to prevent burn out than get some heads up, IMHO.

3. If you want to read something relative, check out House of God, or Gawande's Complications or Better, or The Spirit Catches You and then You Fall Down.

4. Okay to earn money BUT take some time to relax.

5. Spend as much time as possible with friends and family now.

6. Make sure you have living situation etc prepared (including new clothes, furniture, etc) before you start school.

Just my opinion as a 2nd year PA student.

I was recently accepted as well and am going through the same process. I do think the most important thing now is to fill my internal reservoir and do things that give me peace and happiness. However, I will take time over the next several months to re-familiarize myself with anatomy and physiology, but in more of a casual form of study. I may look at what I will encounter during the beginning of the didactic year and study a little bit of those subjects as well.

Like you I have worked so hard and sacrificed over the years to become a competitive candidate. It has taken its toll on my marriage and other aspects of my personal life. Having two little boys further complicates things, but it will pay off and help me give them a better life.

I wouldn't study anything. You don't know the amount of details you need to know, so anything from your undergrad most likely will not help you. Just relax. I MEAN IT lol. When school starts, all you will want is 1 hour of relaxation without thinking about studying... so, use your time well by not doing anything at all (except for working). Save some money! Applying for loans will come later. When does school start? Next september?

Go fishing...or "enter here" whatever you like to do.

Your time will be limited once you start.  There really isn't that much you can "pre-game" prior to school.  The school accepted you because they felt you were academically ready.  Trust that and take the time to enjoy life before you spend over two years living/eating/breathing medicine...which is a good thing.

Have fun.

Current Student.

from a current student:

-do not study, it won't matter. seriously.

-take time to hang out with family and friends and prepare them for you not being around (physically and metaphorically) for 2 years.

-take a vacation

-seriously, don't study, it wont matter.

It was recommended by a faculty member of at the school I was accepted to to take a class or two (pharmacology and Physiology) to help me prepare. For current and past students- do I take the classes (audit them) or just work? I graduate in december and start school in June. thanks

I start in Janurary and I can echo what everyone else has said. I have been going on trips with friends and visiting friends I won't be able to see for awhile, along with family trips. I'm still working full-time at my hospital 3 12's but I will be putting my two weeks in at the end of the month since I have saved up a good amount to cover some living costs. 

Thank you for posting this question! I just dropped my deposit check in the mail and have been wrestling the "now what?" feeling for a couple of weeks now. It's such a long road and I'm sure we all shed our fair share of "blood, sweat and tears" to get here (figuratively AND literally in some cases). Thank you all for your responses! They will definitely help us navigate the the gap between working TOWARD PA school and then working IN PA school.

• Administrator

from a current student:

-do not study, it won't matter. seriously.

-take time to hang out with family and friends and prepare them for you not being around (physically and metaphorically) for 2 years.

-take a vacation

-seriously, don't study, it wont matter.

My recommendations are about 180 degrees opposite.

DO study.  Study up on the things you don't know about.  Find ways to worm your ways into unfamiliar healthcare settings ("Hi, I'm an EMT going to PA school in a few months, and I really don't know much about inpatient medicine.  Can I shadow someone to broaden my horizons?")  Study up on things you care about, study up on things you're weak in.  Make it part of your daily habit to learn each and every day--make that your new normal, and take no breaks from learning, but at the same time, pace yourself. You'll need it for PA school.

DO NOT hang out extra with family and friends. You will not get to see them much throughout PA school, and even if you think you're meeting their needs now, all you're really doing is teasing them.  You won't be able to keep it up, but if you spend a ton of time with them right before your time with them jumps off the proverbial cliff, all you are doing is rubbing salt in the wounds and highlighting their loss of access to you.  By all means, say 'bye' to people, but especially for your spouse or romantic partner... give them nothing that you can't guarantee you can give them each week of PA school, because otherwise you're just setting them up for jealousy of your time and disappointment in what little time they do get from you.

NO Vacation.  You won't get one in PA school, and you won't get one afterwards unless you're irresponsible or obscenely wealthy--you need to be focusing on PANCE, getting a job, and learning that job--so start making 'no vacation' your new normal, if it isn't already.

I realize these are not popular opinions, but they come from someone who stayed sane, stayed married, ended with under $20k in debt, and was fully credentialed and working at a well-paying job six weeks after graduation.  If you have no family to alienate and no one to take care of but yourself, then maybe the popular advice might work... but I don't recommend it if you have to be responsible for anyone else.

Archived