Schools that require GREs vs. no GREs

Has anyone noticed a difference between schools that require a GRE exam for admission vs. schools that do NOT require one?  

Is PA school reputation really an issue after you've graduated? I mean, after you've graduated and fulfilled all your requirements for PA school, does it matter if you've graduated from Duke or Yale's PA program verses a lesser known  PA program (i.e. Univ of New England or Jefferson College)? 

Hey I replied to your other post.  In short I do not feel there is any difference, and if I felt there was, I would've taken the GRE.

Reputation - I think for your FIRST JOB it can help or hurt possibly.  Mainly if 1. you went to a school that is really well known to be a good school, or 2. you went to a school that is really well known to be a crappy school.  After your first job I do not think it matters.  The bottom line is that good schools sometimes produce bad PAs, and bad schools sometimes produce good PAs.  I am only a 2nd yr PA student so take what I say with a grain of salt.  Also, I am going to school in a state far from where I want to work, so I don't know if the fact that I go to a competitive school will infer me any advantage or not.  Also I believe UNE has a pretty good reputation although that school is expensive.  I would recommend not applying to any programs that charge over $60,000 for tuition unless you have a really good reason or money to blow.

Hey I replied to your other post.  In short I do not feel there is any difference, and if I felt there was, I would've taken the GRE.

Reputation - I think for your FIRST JOB it can help or hurt possibly.  Mainly if 1. you went to a school that is really well known to be a good school, or 2. you went to a school that is really well known to be a crappy school.  After your first job I do not think it matters.  The bottom line is that good schools sometimes produce bad PAs, and bad schools sometimes produce good PAs.  I am only a 2nd yr PA student so take what I say with a grain of salt.  Also, I am going to school in a state far from where I want to work, so I don't know if the fact that I go to a competitive school will infer me any advantage or not.  Also I believe UNE has a pretty good reputation although that school is expensive.  I would recommend not applying to any programs that charge over $60,000 for tuition unless you have a really good reason or money to blow.

thanks @winterallsummer.  I have the GI Bill, so ~90% of my tuition at a majority of PA schools will be covered, whatever tuition cost is not covered- my savings and my husband will compensate :-)

I took the GREs for my PhD program and I did awful despite scoring over 60%-Q/90%-V/ and a 6 on the writing portion for three pre-tests!  I have pretty bad math anxiety and don't do well at all on standardized CATs, I think it's the knowledge that my "life" is dependent on THIS test which then messes up my psyche (when I'm doing a pre-test I know this isn't THE test). So when I saw that some schools don't require the GREs I got pretty excited!  But it just seems tooooo good to be true.  After all, schools like Stanford, Yale, Duke, and GW all require the GREs… and they're pretty reputable.  So why don't these other non-GRE wanting schools ask for them? I'm just worried that the schools that don't require the GREs are "bad" schools…? 

By they way, is there a link/website/list of PA programs that don't require the GREs?  I'd love to see which schools I could/should apply to.  

Rutgers and SUNY Stony Brook University are two highly repeatable PA programs that don't require the GREs. I too performed poorly on them but did well enough for my Ph.D. And Masters programs. I think schools that require them may eliminate good students solely based on their GRE scores. Schools that don't require these scores look at experience, pre-req and science class choices and complexity, LOR, essays, to get a clear idea of the person applying. In my opinion, vocabulary and math are no clear indicators of a person's success in a rigorous PA program. I completed an accelerated Masters in Physiology (17 graduate credits/semester) and I believe my performance in my program while working part time, is a better indicator of my drive and ability to be successful in a rigorous, yet repeatable PA program. I was accepted to SUNY Stony Brook. If you google "PA programs no GRE required" you'll be able to see the programs that don't require the GRE. One other thing, pay close attention to the students first time pass rate on the PANCE. I only applied to schools with a 90% or above. Hope this helps.

Anyone have any idea if schools that don't require a GRE would factor in the GRE score if you took it anyway?

Just thinking outloud, I plan on taking the GRE because local schools all require them. But when I also choose to apply to schools that don't require them, if I do poorly on the GRE, would the schools still take a look and use that as a factor point? 

Anyone have any idea if schools that don't require a GRE would factor in the GRE score if you took it anyway?

Just thinking outloud, I plan on taking the GRE because local schools all require them. But when I also choose to apply to schools that don't require them, if I do poorly on the GRE, would the schools still take a look and use that as a factor point?

Your GRE scores will not be considered at schools that don't require them. My scores were low, but I self reported them on CASPA for other schools and I still received interview offers. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for every program, but here are some thoughts regarding GREs:

1. Most programs probably do not weight them super-heavily. Even the folks who make up the test note they are a small part of a comprehensive admissions process.

2. They are occasionally useful in helping to decide between two candidates who are otherwise pretty equal. They are also helpful in evaluating a candidate from an undergrad school you know nothing about. 

3. Not everyone will agree, but I generally regard decent scores as the neighborhood of the 50th percentile. As long as you do not tank you should be ok - get in the middle of the pack.

4. They are good at finding people with test anxiety. That is not necessarily a deal-breaker, but if it is identified early it can be worked on during PA school. If the GRE makes you nervous, the PANCE might give you an MI!

4. They are good at finding people with test anxiety. That is not necessarily a deal-breaker, but if it is identified early it can be worked on during PA school. If the GRE makes you nervous, the PANCE might give you an MI!

That. If you struggle with the GRE as a standardized test, the PANCE could be a nightmare.

I disagree with that statement.  The GRE's are a standardized examination on various areas in math etc.  Difficult to know what you will be asked about.  PA school prepares you according to the blueprint of what is on the PANCE by body system.  Very different then the GRE and is certainly not comparable.  Also, programs give students packrat exams and summative exams after each year to prepare you for your PANCE.

Archived