First Job as a New Grad...

So as I begin my 3rd year of PA school, the bitter-sweet reality of graduation is steadily approaching. I realize I still have 4 months left before graduation, but judging how fast the past 2 years have gone by, 4 months will seem like 4 seconds!!! I would like to get my "hands dirty" as soon after graduation as possible, so I've kinda begun freaking out about the job hunt process.

SO, my question is this....how many of you had a job lined up and the agreement worked out, prior to graduating? How far in advance did you begin sending out your CV and scheduling interviews? Am I the over ambitious kid that's freaking out for nothing right now, or do I have the normal sense of urgency at this stage in the game?

I graduated recently. I began applying 6 mos. before graduation. I had several interviews before and after graduation and landed my first job 6 weeks after graduating (4 weeks after boards). I was freaking out too because so many of my peers had jobs already lined up. I liked the 6 week break...I took a trip to Costa Rica :) My job is in primary/urgent care and I was told of my acceptance to the position on a Monday and started work less than 24 hours later.

I started looking a yr out. I started applying maybe 3 months out but I was looking at jobs across the country in a specific place where my wife would be starting grad school so I had some geographical constraints. I graduated in august and had a job in october.

Our program started sending out Job Postings in January of the year we were set to graduate in August, so I guess 8 months out. I didn't do too much applying until March or so, then a lead on a connection from a rotation I had done landed me an interview in May and a job offer in June, so 2 months prior to graduation I had it all lined up and ready to go. To each his own. We had a few people that were super gung ho, applying all over the place in January and still hadn't settled on a job until last month, whereas others started looking in August and found something (but usually only quickly if they had a connection). My recommendation is start as early as possible, because finding a job was really the only time when my PA class had actual competition just because the city I lived in was so full of extenders.

• 2 weeks later...

I found someone who was looking to hire a PA (based on word-of-mouth from other PAs who gave this doc high recommendations), blindly sent him my resume and a cover letter, suggested I do my last rotation with him, and I worked for them for almost 2 years. I think I sent my resume in June, had the interview with him and his partner in July, and was offered the spot in July as well. The rotation was for 4 weeks in August, and at that time I think I had only committed to doing the rotation, then sometime in August I signed the contract with them, after I got to know them and their work. It was a good way for me to get to know the job and stuff....have 4 weeks of (unpaid!) training.

Our class started clinical rotations in family medicine starting January last year, and I started to get worried around June/July and thought about looking for jobs - especially since both of my family med preceptors did not need a PA. I think I got really lucky and was offered spots at the next two rotations I did... paperwork takes a while, so after I take the PANCE, I will have about 4-5weeks off before I start working. In general, they hospital I'll be at said it takes about 3 months for paperwork to be completed and stuff. It was a huge stress reducer for me to know I didn't have to go job hunting. Good luck!

I did everything very quickly. I started looking 5 months before, applied 3 months before, got two job offers within the first month and a half of trying, graduation ceremony december 5th, passed the pance december 17th, "officially" graduated on dec 31st, started working/training jan 4th, 2010 on an hourly basis until I got my actual license, then got my license 1 week later and became salaried.

Someone mentioned giving a CV to a recruiter. I, too am a second year - set to graduate in mid-July. I'm open to moving to a number of different places out west (currently in school in PA), but don't have a real preference. Thus, I feel a recruiter may be good for me, as I don't have one specific place to search. I've heard about recruiters before, but don't know how to get in touch with them - any advice? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to graduate PA school in a 5 months and have set out on the job search. I recently encountered a few prospective employers requesting reference letters, not contact information. I previously worked in health care and have always been asked for reference contact information so that my references can be contacted personally by the prospective employer. Is this the usual method of providing references as a new PA graduate? Who did you have provide your references?

I've been asked for reference contact information and recommendation letters, I think it just depends.. some want one or the other, or even both. The ppl I asked were my advisor, 2-3 of my preceptors - 1 from ER, the other 2 were family medicine. Usually they will ask for references that have supervised you clinically - some specify, others will just say ppl who aren't like your friends or relatives.

Congratulations on your soon-to-be graduation! I was ready to jump into my new job just a few months before I graduated as well. I had already met with a recruiter and had worked out every last detail. What ended up taking me longer and causing the real stress wasn't finding the job, but getting everything arranged in order to relocate to my new workplace. Have you given your CV to a recruiter, researched jobs, or sought out any interviews?

Don't worry about it being too late or feeling rushed, but now is a good time to get started!

Best of luck!

-Susan

Archived