Who else is applying to AT Still this summer?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't heard a thing and am about to give up on being a PA. Inspite of 12k hours of trauma experience and a post-bac GPA of 3.93, prereq GPA of 4.0, it appears, no one can look past that I was a crappy student when I did my BS......14 years ago!

Looks like nursing and then NP school for me.

Rich

P.S. Sorry for whining.

Haven't heard a thing and am about to give up on being a PA. Inspite of 12k hours of trauma experience and a post-bac GPA of 3.93, prereq GPA of 4.0, it appears, no one can look past that I was a crappy student when I did my BS......14 years ago!

Rich

P.S. Sorry for whining.

your stats look really strong....when did you applied if you don't mind me asking....thanks

Rich

P.S. Sorry for whining.

You stats are great !! Have you had an interview? I know what you mean about the looking past a few bad grades !! Have you attempted applying to PA schools previously? Nursing and NP is not a bad alternative ! In my case I am going to go back for my master's and re-apply if nothing happens this time around.

'Good Luck !!!

Rich

P.S. Sorry for whining.

I wouldn't necessarily give up hope. You may just need to build your assets further and apply earlier.

As further encouragement.... I can relate with you. Fifteen years ago I was a dumb 18 year old attending community college with absolutely no idea what I was doing. I took 12-15 credits a year, for two years, waisting my time with classes like "Intro to cinema" and "Into to Public Relations." I was completely clueless. My stellar GPA? A whopping 2.2, with about 5-6 W's.

Fast forward 10 years later.... I attended Respiratory Therapy School and graduated with a 3.91 GPA (BS in Respiratory Therapy), finished my pre-recs (Avg'd about a 3.6), and all factoring in my CASPA calculated my GPA as a depressing 3.25. I was completely heartbroken. Do you think that my 5+ years HCE as an RT would make that much of a difference?

I didn't.

So, I worked on the little things... community service, good GRE score (around 1100), good rec letters, organizational memberships, and a killer personal statement.

How does the story end? I applied to two schools, got two interviews, and was accepted to both.

Want to know what else I did? I applied the week CASPA opened it's cycle.

Moral of the story? Build your assets and APPLY EARLY!

I appreciate the kind words, but again, there's literally nothing I can add to my app other than raising my cumulative (save applying earlier next year).

GRE: 1300

Letters of Rec: My Flight Surgeon, Flight PA and Senior medic from the Army, all of which had direct supervision of my work and one stated, "I would trust Rich to work on my family".

Volunteering:

- Awarded Army's Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal; How rare is this awarded? They didn't have a certificate to print it on, so all I have is my awarding orders

- Over 2k hours of volunteer time at my ER/urgent care in Korea working with dependent families and service members doing everything from screening, diagnosis and treatment (and that's unsupervised 'cause scope of practice doesn't apply in the military. On call Doc/PA would just want to get called for anything serious and sign off charts when they got there...'cause we knew what we were doing).

- Over 2k hours of volunteer time as a tutor for my post-bac school as a biology and chemistry tutor

- Licensed and currently working while taking 13 units in school, phlebotomist, since apparently 12k hours wasn't good enough for the Stanford guys (they told every military medic/corpsman that we needed something more "recent"; as a result I didn't apply there).

So yeah...I'm a little disenfranchised, but still waiting patiently...okay...maybe not really patient. ;) It's a process and I got that. I just would like to think that experience counts for more than anything.

Rich

-

USCBigDawg, You have outstanding stats. DO NOT GIVE UP! How many schools have you applied to? If this is your only one, then that is your problem. I get the distinct impression they prefer "younger" students and while I don't know your age, based on what you've posted I'm guessing you're not a "traditional" student. Please tell me you've applied other places.....

If you aren't hearing much then I would go back and look at your personal statement, make sure other people are giving you feedback. I'm assuming that you've already looked at your references letters? Your stats are good. Have you called any of the programs you were rejected from to ask what you could do better next time? That's a way to get your foot in the door and make a personal contact with someone who may be sitting on the interview panel.

I interviewed on the Sept. 30 date. I have not heard anything yet, but still keeping my fingers crossed. Walkoffshot, did you interview on the 30th? Do you know anyone from that date that has been accepted/rejected yet?

Yes I did, and no I have not heard anything as of yet... but still optimistic nonetheless. Anything on your end?

• 7 months later...
Hi all, I am graduating from A.T. Still this August. If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to ask.
Hello homecow, congratulations on your graduation. I have a couple of questions for you: 1) i took my A & P classes + micro in 2006 which means they are over 6yrs old. I'm currently a practicing RN so my Q is will they accept my classes or will they require me to retake them since its been over 5years? 2) I'm assuming you are practicing already so may I shadow you sometime?

Archived