Who else is applying to AT Still this summer?

Do any of the former or current students know if there are alternatives/flexibility to the on site interview... ie telephonic, video conferencing? Not that I don't want to come to the school, but it is an awfully long (and expensive) trip from Korea, and there is no guarantee that my chain of command will approve leave at the last minute.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of the former or current students know if there are alternatives/flexibility to the on site interview... ie telephonic, video conferencing? Not that I don't want to come to the school, but it is an awfully long (and expensive) trip from Korea, and there is no guarantee that my chain of command will approve leave at the last minute.

The Program Director, Mr. Goodwin, is former Air Force and really likes military applicants. There are only a handful of us that are former military in the class but he definitely looks at military service as a HUGE plus. He's the one deciding who gets interviews, up to you after that.

Good luck!

That's encouraging, thanks for the heads up UN. Some quick questions...did you use the Post 9/11 GI Bill? How far does the tuition and BAH coverage go? Just trying to get an idea of the financial impact.

The Program Director, Mr. Goodwin, is former Air Force and really likes military applicants. There are only a handful of us that are former military in the class but he definitely looks at military service as a HUGE plus. He's the one deciding who gets interviews, up to you after that.

Good luck!

That's encouraging, thanks for the heads up UN. Some quick questions...did you use the Post 9/11 GI Bill? How far does the tuition and BAH coverage go? Just trying to get an idea of the financial impact.

@jsfelder0417:

I'm a current ASHS PA student, graduating in August, who is also prior service. It is very true that Mr. Goodwin is very fond of veterans, and all of the veterans in my class have done very well, so we have a good track record. I would have to say that granting a telephone/video interview would be a very unique exception. Face time is extremely important to the faculty in regards to the interview process. However, if I were you I would contact Mr. Goodwin directly and state your case, see what could be worked out and what options you have. Good luck!

@jsfelder0417:

I'm a current ASHS PA student, graduating in August, who is also prior service. It is very true that Mr. Goodwin is very fond of veterans, and all of the veterans in my class have done very well, so we have a good track record. I would have to say that granting a telephone/video interview would be a very unique exception. Face time is extremely important to the faculty in regards to the interview process. However, if I were you I would contact Mr. Goodwin directly and state your case, see what could be worked out and what options you have. Good luck!

Hey guys, needed your opinion on whether my stats are good or not

science 3.3

overall 3.65

shadowing: 36 hours

GRE 1190

Volunteering 400 hours

I am so worried that my stats arent good enough.

Your stats are great. The main thing with "stats" is to get past the rubric. The rubric is what admissions uses to screen applicants who don't meet the program requirements. I'm sure that your GPAs are going to get you through to the next round. My advice, and that goes to all applicants to all programs on here, is to prepare for your interview. You must eliminate "worry" from your mind. You ARE getting an interview, you ARE going to blow them away, they ARE going to be dying to accept you. The sooner that you internalize this the sooner you can work systematically on your goals. Tell EVERYONE you know and EVERYONE you meet about PA school, the PA profession, and why you WILL BE a PA. I spent two years doing that, and when it came time to interview, I didn't even have to think, I'd already told my story a thousand times. In school, all I ever talked about was getting into a CT surgery residency. When I interviewed and was asked "why do you want to be a CT surgical PA?"... you get the picture. Repetition, that's how we learn everything. Don't give yourself a way out, you want everyone you know asking "so when do you start school?" "have you gotten in yet?" Make it so you don't have a way out, you have to succeed. Prepare yourself mentally for success. Do mock interviews, meditate, yoga, acupuncture, positive self-talk, spend time in a submersion tank... I'm serious. Write out your 5 or 10 year career plan and have a PA read it and critique it, then do it again. Record yourself saying positive affirmations onto a CD and listen to it everyday in your car. Confidence and competence are the main traits that are going to make you successful, as an applicant, student, and PA. If you walk in on the interview day and can clearly articulate your motivations and goals, show an intense DESIRE for the profession, and shine in the presence of an intimating situation (the interview process in general), you WILL be accepted. I hope this helps.

Hey guys, needed your opinion on whether my stats are good or not

science 3.3

overall 3.65

shadowing: 36 hours

GRE 1190

Volunteering 400 hours

I am so worried that my stats arent good enough.

Your stats are great. The main thing with "stats" is to get past the rubric. The rubric is what admissions uses to screen applicants who don't meet the program requirements. I'm sure that your GPAs are going to get you through to the next round. My advice, and that goes to all applicants to all programs on here, is to prepare for your interview. You must eliminate "worry" from your mind. You ARE getting an interview, you ARE going to blow them away, they ARE going to be dying to accept you. The sooner that you internalize this the sooner you can work systematically on your goals. Tell EVERYONE you know and EVERYONE you meet about PA school, the PA profession, and why you WILL BE a PA. I spent two years doing that, and when it came time to interview, I didn't even have to think, I'd already told my story a thousand times. In school, all I ever talked about was getting into a CT surgery residency. When I interviewed and was asked "why do you want to be a CT surgical PA?"... you get the picture. Repetition, that's how we learn everything. Don't give yourself a way out, you want everyone you know asking "so when do you start school?" "have you gotten in yet?" Make it so you don't have a way out, you have to succeed. Prepare yourself mentally for success. Do mock interviews, meditate, yoga, acupuncture, positive self-talk, spend time in a submersion tank... I'm serious. Write out your 5 or 10 year career plan and have a PA read it and critique it, then do it again. Record yourself saying positive affirmations onto a CD and listen to it everyday in your car. Confidence and competence are the main traits that are going to make you successful, as an applicant, student, and PA. If you walk in on the interview day and can clearly articulate your motivations and goals, show an intense DESIRE for the profession, and shine in the presence of an intimating situation (the interview process in general), you WILL be accepted. I hope this helps.

I am almost 37 and plan to apply to only AT Still as I need to be close to home (I have four kids). I have been a stay at home mom since graduating from ASU with a 3.9 psych degree in 1995. 4.0 science GPA, but still have 3 prereqs to take this next year. I have patient care experience, but it is aged

And was with a chiropractor. I have been working from home for the past 12 years as a practice manager for a local doc (no patient care). Any thoughts on my chances assuming I maintain a high GPA in prereqs? I also plan to get some current patient care experience, but it will be limited. I don't intend to apply for two years....waiting for my youngest to start first grade. Just now starting prereqs and getting my ducks lined up. I'm just worried I am too old and been out of the workforce too long! It has been a lifelong dream to work in medicine, but my children were priority when they were young. Thoughts? Advice?

I am almost 37 and plan to apply to only AT Still as I need to be close to home (I have four kids). I have been a stay at home mom since graduating from ASU with a 3.9 psych degree in 1995. 4.0 science GPA, but still have 3 prereqs to take this next year. I have patient care experience, but it is aged

And was with a chiropractor. I have been working from home for the past 12 years as a practice manager for a local doc (no patient care). Any thoughts on my chances assuming I maintain a high GPA in prereqs? I also plan to get some current patient care experience, but it will be limited. I don't intend to apply for two years....waiting for my youngest to start first grade. Just now starting prereqs and getting my ducks lined up. I'm just worried I am too old and been out of the workforce too long! It has been a lifelong dream to work in medicine, but my children were priority when they were young. Thoughts? Advice?

Hi everyone, I applied back in June as well. It is finally August, I hope we hear back soon. I am pretty nervous and excited!

I know! I am so anxious! I applied in April and it has felt like such a long wait, but I am super excited for this journey!

Good luck to you! If anyone hears.. Please post!!!

A friend of mine who followed the same time line as you last year received notifcation about an interview in Dec / Jan. Not sure if everything will play out the same way for you, because I dont know how their selection process works. It also seemed like a majority of the people in the current class were taken from the last few interviews so this may be beneficial for you. :)

She's right that most of our class interviewed later. I'm sure some of the early alternates would have been accepted had they interviewed in later in the cycle. Mr. Goodwin's rubric is a super secret but health care experience must count for less than GPA. We have way more students straight out of undergrad than people already working in healthcare. Foreign language must be high points-wise too, nearly half the class is bilingual.

• 2 weeks later...

Ichernof is right, just be yourself. Focus on exuding confidence while being humble. Dr. Witte is big on eye contact and infrequent use of "ums". Mr. Goodwin's interview is short, and he will most likely direct to course of it. He told us after we matriculated, "the way I decide if I want an applicant in the program is that I ask myself, would I want to take this person on a date?" Yes, it sounds creepy, but it makes sense. Be genuine and charismatic and it will all work out. In regards to interviews, practice, practice practice! In the mirror, with family and friends. Not specific questions, just getting a feel for providing well thought out answers. There are no deductions for pausing before you answer. Make sure what you are going to say conveys the message most appropriate to the question. Dress conservatively but with a personal flare, something small that makes you easy to recall. It may sound silly, but for me getting into PA school was a much bigger deal than graduating. Enjoy the experience!

Hi Everyone !!

I am super excited now !! I just got my invitation email for an interview, I then signed in and selected September 16th as the day to interview! Anyone else receive any good news? Any tips from former applicants for interview day??? Thanks !!!

Thank you ! I greatly appreciate all the information provided. I am definitely going to practice with some physicians I shadow and family. I like to think I am "dateable", so I am hoping it all goes well !! :;;D: I am just afraid that my nerves will get the best of me !! Thanks again for all the information. If I think of anything else I will defintely post a few questions.

Ichernof is right, just be yourself. Focus on exuding confidence while being humble. Dr. Witte is big on eye contact and infrequent use of "ums". Mr. Goodwin's interview is short, and he will most likely direct to course of it. He told us after we matriculated, "the way I decide if I want an applicant in the program is that I ask myself, would I want to take this person on a date?" Yes, it sounds creepy, but it makes sense. Be genuine and charismatic and it will all work out. In regards to interviews, practice, practice practice! In the mirror, with family and friends. Not specific questions, just getting a feel for providing well thought out answers. There are no deductions for pausing before you answer. Make sure what you are going to say conveys the message most appropriate to the question. Dress conservatively but with a personal flare, something small that makes you easy to recall. It may sound silly, but for me getting into PA school was a much bigger deal than graduating. Enjoy the experience!

Archived