Newly Certified/Licensed PA

I recently became certified and licensed in my state along with receiving my NPI and DEA numbers. I am starting my job next week but I was told I will rarely be responsible for writing prescriptions but I did need my DEA for the times I may. My question is, say I want to write/call in a prescription for an antibiotics or a skin cream for a friend/family member etc, can I do this legally? I wasn't sure if it would reflect my supervisory physician etc. I do not need prescriptions co-signed in my state. I know I can ask at work once I start but I feel a little embarrassed because it seems something I should know. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Your state may have an ethical or position statement regarding this subject.  In general, it is legal to provide scripts for friends/family members, but some medical boards may have a position statement saying it should be avoided.  It is an ethical issue treating friends and family.  You may not treat them properly, because of your personal relationship.  Now that being said, I am certain there are many PAs (and MDs) that give scripts out and don't even give the ethical issue a second thought.  The medical board won't come knocking at your door for prescribing amoxil to a family member.  Prescribing controlled substances to family members is potentially a different story.  

I refuse to do it. My malpractice doesn't cover me for anything outside my SPs practice. Doing this is a disaster waiting to happen. No chart, signed consents. Give your nephew a script and things go bad and the parents will turn on you in a heartbeat and leave you dangling in the wind without any coverage.

Prescribing for friends and family is a slippery slope. Once you begin is difficult to say No in the future. On one side you are so thrilled to have your license and be able to practice medicine and share this with those close to you. However, there are guidelines and doing favors for others may not be favorable for you in the long term.

Does it reflect on your SP? Yes, because everything you do reflects on your SP. I had a specific conversation about this with my SP, and you should, too.

My sister-in-law is a Dr. Oz fan and into all kinds of health crazes. I love my nephews, but I would sooner drive one of them to the Urgent Care myself than prescribe so much as hydrocortisone ointment, because I simply can't predict what their mother would do if something went sideways.

When my mom changed insurances and finally left her quack doctor, she was stuck without a way to get her blood pressure and blood sugar controlling meds. I stepped in then, after a nice long talk about why this was a one-time deal, so she wouldn't suffer rebound effects or have to re-acclimate.

Long story short, you have to use your clinical judgement. And no offense, but you're brand new, and by definition you don't have the experience that forms the basis of that judgement. It's far easier and simpler to just tell your whole family that nope, you can't do it.

Can't speak for other states, but Texas medical board did a presentation in our school and this was one of the questions they addressed. My understanding from the lecture was that in it is acceptable to rx antibiotics and other non-scheduled drugs to your friends and family AS LONG AS YOU HAVE DOCUMENTATION. You may not charge them for your service, but you do have to keep a chart and treat them just as any of your paying patients. And of course you have to deal with the consequence.  

Archived