2013-2014 Application Cycle

That is a hard question to answer, but in general I would say a solid GPA and experience working directly with patients are the two biggest things. If GPA is an issue I would recommend retaking classes or even taking the courses GVSU recommends but does not require. If GPA is not an issue do anything you can to learn as much about the profession and why this is what you want to do. Both of these things are important. If you want to know what you specifically can do I would highly recommend contacting Grand Valley and asking them. The staff is very friendly and I am sure they would be more than happy to give you valuable feedback. Trust me I know it is hard when you are rejected, but if this is really what you want to do don't give up! 

That is all just my opinion though,

best of luck to you in the future!

Would any of you mind giving out some of your stats? I am starting my bachelors with intentions to move onto the PA program at GVSU and while my GPA is good (3.84), I worry about PCE. What was your position when you did your PCE? How much was paid vs volunteer vs. shadowing? What was your undergrad major?

Thanks and good luck to those who haven't heard back yet! I cannot even imagine your anxiety.

In response to Gamecaco4's question -   My GPA is 3.79, I have a BS in Interdisciplinary Health, have taken all of the 'recommended but not required classes', and have over 15,000 hours of PCE  - I have worked as a patient care assistant, phlebotomist, and I have had a lot of lab assistant experience in histology and clinical pathology. Right now I'm working in a phase one clinical trial clinic. I don't have a lot of shadowing or volunteer experience, but I think my work experience trumps that. Guard your GPA at all costs! It isn't everything, but one class can destroy it (I had a 4.0 until I took orgo!)

I would start hitting the hospitals up for volunteering, or phlebotomy/ lab assisting - you learn a lot, get to meet all kinds of people, and get to go all over the hospital - plus, a lot of them will hire you with little or no experience - I used to teach newbies how to draw blood. I can't stress how important it is to get a variety of experiences under your belt - It's great that you're thinking about this now! 

I only applied to one school last year - I got an interview, but didn't make it in. I have an interview with GVSU next week, and anticipate getting one at WMU as well, and feel a lot more confident that I'll get in to one of them. 

Good luck to you!!

In response to Gamecaco4's question -   My GPA is 3.79, I have a BS in Interdisciplinary Health, have taken all of the 'recommended but not required classes', and have over 15,000 hours of PCE  - I have worked as a patient care assistant, phlebotomist, and I have had a lot of lab assistant experience in histology and clinical pathology. Right now I'm working in a phase one clinical trial clinic. I don't have a lot of shadowing or volunteer experience, but I think my work experience trumps that. Guard your GPA at all costs! It isn't everything, but one class can destroy it (I had a 4.0 until I took orgo!)

I would start hitting the hospitals up for volunteering, or phlebotomy/ lab assisting - you learn a lot, get to meet all kinds of people, and get to go all over the hospital - plus, a lot of them will hire you with little or no experience - I used to teach newbies how to draw blood. I can't stress how important it is to get a variety of experiences under your belt - It's great that you're thinking about this now! 

I only applied to one school last year - I got an interview, but didn't make it in. I have an interview with GVSU next week, and anticipate getting one at WMU as well, and feel a lot more confident that I'll get in to one of them. 

Good luck to you!!

Very strong application! I think you will be get accept.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any insider information on when we will be notified of acceptance? At my interview we were told "hopefully by mid to late december, at least by the first of the year"... my experience however is that programs usually tell a later decision date than planned at the interview so applicants don't go crazy calling every day waiting to find out. Last year, GVSU notified everyone on December 7th. I am wondering because I was accepted yesterday to a program that STARTS January 6th in Tennessee. Tuition is due January 2nd and that would be the last possible day for me to hold out for an acceptance from GVSU, however I am hoping it wont come down to that. I am really confident my interview went amazing and feel good about Grand Valley, I just was hoping someone would be able to calm these nerves! Good luck everyone!

Archived