Ortho PA physically demanding

I was wondering if anyone working in Ortho knows how physically demanding ortho PA work is both in the OR and clinic. My sister is in PA school (5'2,  ~110 lbs) loves the specialty but not sure if she can physcially handle it.  She hasn't gotten much information regarding ortho from her school.  Anyone have any personal experience? Are there certain sub-specialty within ortho that are more physically demanding and requires more strength then others? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  

I work in ortho and have since I graduated from PA school.  I'm a female.  When I finished I was 5'8' and 260lbs.  I was not as strong as I should have been.  I worked out regularly, figured out ways to do tests without killing myself.  I work with the team doc for a Div II university, so I take care of some BIG guys.  I've seen orthopods that are tiny and still do a great job.  I've seen muscle heads that sucked.  If you're smart, willing to work your as* off, you'll be fine.  You have to find ways to work around your weaknesses.  I can tell you this, the most demanding part of my job is the the hours, and volume of material to learn early on...not the physicality.  

In answer to the second question, hand/upper extremity and foot/ankle guys don't have any real "heavy lifting" to worry about.

• 1 month later...

5'0'' and 115 lbs female here! I work in the clinic and in the ortho OR and I do just fine. Yes, it is hard work sometimes but actually with some of the technology that we have today and all the new positioners, it's not as physically demanding as it once was. Don't get me wrong, even then I sometimes have to really throw all my weight into it but I do what I have to. It is great enticement to stay in shape though! 

I have found that I really love pediatric orthopedics and even the biggest kid is still manageable :)

Archived