NP's have won

What are the VA PAs saying about this?   PAs need to be included.  It is the route out of dependent and supervised status and would eventually filter to all the government related jobs for us.  Is the VA caucus involved?  AAPA? What studies do we have that would support including PAs in this proposal.   It looks like it stems from the re-writing of the VA nursing policies.  

What clout do nurses have with government officials that will get this approved????  They have a lot of support in their corner including Kathleen Sebelius and Donna Shalala, RWJ, IOM report, National Governor's report.   If it is approved someone is greasing the palms of gov't officials. (and it's not the AAPA).

my understanding was that there was a proposal on the table to do the same for the PAs at the VA.

Lesh?

VA is a hard one I don't think its VA wide. It depends upon what the Chief of Medical Staff wants. At least that has been my experience. The guy to ask is Denni Woodmansee, PA-C, director of physician assistant services at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

The NP's have won the war.  The VA Hospital System is now proposing independent status for all 3600 NP's in its system - all 50 states.  They can do this, because it is a federal system and is not subject to state laws. 

This is symbolic only.  Go into any VA ward over the last 10 years and you dont see a single doc in there.  Just NPs writing their own orders with ZERO supervision.  They do admits, meds, orders, discharges on their own with no doctors in house.  And its been that way for at least 10 years now.

VA is a hard one I don't think its VA wide. It depends upon what the Chief of Medical Staff wants. At least that has been my experience. The guy to ask is Denni Woodmansee, PA-C, director of physician assistant services at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

I agree.  I have worked at several VAs, both as a contractor and permanent employee, and it does indeed vary.  Just as, sadly, does the patient care.

This is symbolic only.  Go into any VA ward over the last 10 years and you dont see a single doc in there.  Just NPs writing their own orders with ZERO supervision.  They do admits, meds, orders, discharges on their own with no doctors in house.  And its been that way for at least 10 years now.

Does this mean that PAs will not be hired as much for VA jobs?  PA organizations have highlighted the VA as one of the primary careers for PAs.  I actually think at one time there were more PAs in the VA system than NPs and that has probably changed?  Does anyone know?

Do you see PAs along with the NPs?  

Archived