Gross Anatomy is hard.

Hello everyone, 

I am having a rough time in my gross anatomy class (mrywood uni., Dr. Steven Reggie). I have taken anatomy and physiology before, and they were a breeze (got A's on both easily at Northampton CC).

For gross anatomy i have studied over 50 hours for this test, but when test day came (thorax and abdomen), I was met with "board like"  questions (Professors quote) going into detail , on every aspect of the region we are studying, but also just making connections with what we were taught in class, and not being specifically told THIS is what happens.

We are sort of left to make our own connections. Here is an example of one of the questions, from what I can remember (we cant keep the tests).

Question was basically, what is NOT a symptom of a type of lung cancer (originated in the lining of the lungs).

Choices were like "coughing" , "metastiss through broncho tracheal arteries" , some others that made sense.

The symptom that did NOT belong was "swelling in the axillary node region", which gets lymph drainage from the breasts, and not the internal pleura of lungs. 

I pulled off a 66, which will most likely translate into a 76. I believe the class avarage was around a 50, with a 85 being the highest grade (very bright kid) as well as a couple more 80s, and a few 70s.

We had 53 minutes to do 80 questions, so time was a factor.

I think the thing I need help with most is test taking skills, and this is the gist of my question now: 

Where can I go to purchase, download, etc, practice test questions like this that is regionally focused (as in, I dont want to get 500 questions on ALL parts of the body, but more focused on specific regions)?

Thanks in advance. 

Gross anatomy was the first class I had and easily the most difficult. I wrote about it extensively in my book -- the frustrations and techniques I tried. The lesson I learned was that study techniques that worked for you in other classes might not work for you in anatomy.

I tended to study best with outlines for most of my classes, with a diagram thrown here and there. In anatomy, I usually did well on written tests, but poorly when they put a pin on a random fiber in the middle of a raw pot roast and then asked me questions about what it is and what it does. I realized that I was not naturally a visual person and I needed to develop a more visual learning style for the class.

Another problem for me in anatomy was that what you could see today would be cut away tomorrow. I eventually used a computer program that let you go back and see long-lost superficial items whenever you wanted to. I also spent time with the plastic models, handling them and getting comfortable with their features.

I guess the bottom line is to experiment with your learning styles in each of the classes you will be taking, including anatomy. What works for you in one might not in others. 

And you did OK! Don't expect to ace everything. The goal is to learn what you can and graduate. 

Good luck!

Archived