Very Frustrated with NC License!!

I need some guidance.

I am a new graduate (August 2007) and am still trying to get licensure in NC.

My application was in the office on Oct. 19th and all my supporting documents, were in by Oct. 25th. My background check was also in the office by then.

My application has been sitting, untouched as far as I can tell since 11-07-2007 and by untouched I mean, I have had no letters, emails, or online updates since that time. I have emailed Ms. King and the general license email, with no response.

Now what?

I don't know who else to email, call, etc. I know all my documents are in, thanks to the online status update, but nothing has been marked approved and if there is a problem, no one is communicating this to me.

Any ideas? I live in the Charlotte area, so showing up for the board meeting really isn't an option....but I could go to the office later in December...if they are even open :confused:.

Sigh.

I just needed to vent. I know of another new graduate in the same boat, but still.....I'm just glad I have a DH with income...or we'd be living in a cardboard box.

Thanks!

Ally

USAULLY the NC Med Board is very good about working with new applicants...so sorry to hear you are having this problem. BUT it does take some time for new applications.

Talk to someone there and ask about the date they anticipate for your application to be approved.

I've always found these folks very helpful...:confused:

Guest Nickxpax

Just file your application one month before the license renewal fees are due...Thats what I did and I have never seen a license granted so fast:). I think it was about two weeks after I got it I had to pay to renew it.

Just file your application one month before the license renewal fees are due...Thats what I did and I have never seen a license granted so fast:). I think it was about two weeks after I got it I had to pay to renew it.

LoL! That is the best advice. :)

Thanks Chatcat, I will call again today.

Ally

Okay, I'm putting my nose where it doesn't belong (since I'm not in N.C.) but this kind of stuff bugs me too. I think someone could make a "class action" law suit out of a situation like this, if the delay costs you money. It would take a lot of courage, patience and a lawyer who was invested in the matter enough to hang in until it was over. But, in the end it could create a much smoother path for hundreds of PAs. Just a thought.

Guest FitChik

Ally,

I understand your frustration! I am also a new grad (Aug 2007) and had my application in by the end of August. I just received my license last week!! :eek: I also attempted to e-mail with no response. I even had the military call their office to speed up the process (I'm joining the army in less than 20 days!) without any response. I have no solutions for you but just wanted to share! Congrats on finishing school!

~Marie

I, too, understand your frustration. I got my license one month early by e-mailing and calling the medical board daily, without being a nuisance. My PANCE was the only thing I lacked in getting my license, and it was going to be 2 days after the board met. I essentially begged Ms. King to get me approved the meeting the month before I had my PANCE contingent on me passing the PANCE, and she agreed. I passed the PANCE, called her and told her my score, and she got the official notice of my passing 2 days later, and it went through one month early. She was quite nice about the whole thing and understanding.

• 1 month later...
Guest jarvis119

My docs were in Oct 25. My supporting docs got held up by my school for 2 months. I used the FCVS and my school for some reason didn't want to fill out the form for them. Just got my FCVS profile forwarded last week.

I finally got my first email from a real person today after 2 months of trying. I tried email and phone calls with messages. Never returned until now. I think I emailed at least 4 or 5 times and left at least 3 phone messages. Same simple questions that I could not find the answer to on the website. I spent extra money on an official marriage license because I wasn't sure based on the poorly designed website whether this was required. The application status form is helpful but leads to panic when you have a question about what the form answers mean. A second set of fingerprint cards were requested and were never sent to me. Fortunately, I found the first set.

I have been very on the ball with this process. Dotting my is and crossing my ts. Copying everything. Sending everything certified mail. Still as much as I try I find that much of my frustration came from a lack of response to my questions (not about the status of my application but the process). The NC medical board would have less phone calls to their office if they simply responded to a question the first time.

The website has different information from what I was told in an email about the process.

I think I will talk to my politician friends and see if something can be done to expedite the process. Who funds these guys? Obviously they need more staff.

Initial registration in NC takes a while...but the good news is that once you are licensed the reregistration becomes easier. They are pretty upfront about the process but when you are waiting for it seems like forever.

Q: What is the PA application process and how long does it take for a PA application to be processed and a license to be issued?

A: The PA sends the original, completed application with all attachments, including payment, to the NCMB. NCMB staff reviews the application and the applicant is provided with status updates. The completed application is reviewed by a Board Member and either added to the next Board Meeting agenda for the Board to vote on, or an interview is scheduled prior to Board vote.

While each application is different, due to the amount of applications received, it is usually a three-four month process for applications containing no affirmative answers to be processed from the date the application is received at the NCMB's office. Applications that have affirmative answers may or may not take longer based on the information received. Once an application is completed, it is sent to a Board Member to review. If approved, the application is reviewed by the Board at the next Board Meeting. Once the application has been approved by the Board, it takes 7 - 10 business days to process Board follow - ups (i.e. issue licenses, letters).

• 3 weeks later...

I graduated in December 2006 and like you had sent many emails and phone calls to the Med Board. I, too, had all of my info. in pretty early. Finally, I called in early January and showed a bit of frustration with the switchboard person and told her that I had emailed Ms. King 4 times and left SEVERAL messages with NO response... she asked me to hold on .. and in less than 30 seconds Ms. King answered the phone. Perhaps it was just divine intervention-- but I suspect that they can overhead page Ms. King provided she is actually in the office.

One important piece of info-- If I had not called and specifically asked if I was on the list for the next meeting of the board, my application would have been sitting for another month. This happened to several of my classmates!

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I got it! I think my application got shunted to a needs more information pile, but no one let me know that they needed more info...but after the 12 week mark, Lori was very helpful and got everything taken care of at the speed of light!

Thanks again for letting me vent and for all your suggestions :)

Now, I just need to decide on a job........ :)

Ally

I am from NC and will be returning to NC after graduation in August(my school is in PA). Any helpful hints or things I should do to avoid extra headaches? When should I start getting the ball rolling? I am taking the pance and also getting married in September, so I will have name change issues to contend with as well...:eek:

Ashley

• 2 years later...

I couldn't find any data comparing PA quality by state, so I know it's conjecture, but hear me out.

It could be a good thing that it takes a while in North Carolina. Maybe they are being really thorough. I know that in NC, PAs are pretty well-known and well-liked. Considering the profession started there, perhaps they are being careful with their licensure to keep quality up because it looks good both for the state and for PAs. This seems to be somewhat supported by the fact that NC is so forward with it's legislation for, and general lack of restriction of PAs. Also, taking into account that the PA profession was incepted at "the Ivy League School of the South" (i.e. Duke). It is in Duke's best interest for PAs to look good, which means it is also somewhat in NC's best interest.

I'm not pretending it's supposed to make the pain of not having income go away (especially with loans, if you have them), but be proud once you've gotten your licensure. NC is widely considered the most protective and supportive state of the Physician Assistant. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't find any data comparing PA quality by state, so I know it's conjecture, but hear me out.

It could be a good thing that it takes a while in North Carolina. Maybe they are being really thorough. I know that in NC, PAs are pretty well-known and well-liked. Considering the profession started there, perhaps they are being careful with their licensure to keep quality up because it looks good both for the state and for PAs. This seems to be somewhat supported by the fact that NC is so forward with it's legislation for, and general lack of restriction of PAs. Also, taking into account that the PA profession was incepted at "the Ivy League School of the South" (i.e. Duke). It is in Duke's best interest for PAs to look good, which means it is also somewhat in NC's best interest.

I'm not pretending it's supposed to make the pain of not having income go away (especially with loans, if you have them), but be proud once you've gotten your licensure. NC is widely considered the most protective and supportive state of the Physician Assistant. :)

DUKE has NOTHING to do with licensure in this state. And despite what it and yankees fantasize, duke and the interests of north carolina are not synonymous.

The north Carolina state board of medical examiners is very aggressive, proactive, and is trying to set a national standard for credentialling and protecting the public.

And you are right, once obtained, a NC license is a great thing to have.

Archived