New Grad Critical Care Offer

I'm a new grad who graduated within the last month so this will be my first job. Offer is for a pulmonary practice owned by the major academic hospital in the area. The group is pretty large with about 15 docs and 6 PAs. Position will involve staffing the medical ICU, post-op neurosurg ICU, and the their LTAC unit. The docs seem very willing to train as I am a new grad, they basically stated that it will be similar to a fellowship position. They have an extensive orientation schedule planned out where i will actually rotate with other services they frequently consult such as nephrology and cards so that I can get an idea of how the consultants work in the ICU. It all sounds pretty good to me. I have had other offers but Critical Care is what I have wanted to do for a long time. So is the actual offer sound for a new grad?

Position is day shift 7am-5pm.

4 10hr days a wk

One weekend a month

no call, no nights

Position located in PA, in a pretty PA saturated area

Base salary: $78,000

Full health insurance with no premiums

Vision and dental options with very low premiums

3 weeks paid vacation

48 hours paid holiday time (so i guess this is like extra vacation?)

1 weeks time for CME not taken out of vacation time

I also accrue 1 sick day a month that is not taken out of any other vacation time

CME Allowance of $2000 ( up to $1000 dollars will roll over each year if not used, I may also use up to $1500 a year out of my CME for purchasing electronic equipment/computer/journal subscriptions)

Paid membership for one professional organization (not taken out of CME)

All licensing and certification fees paid, they will even reimburse me for the money i spent on the pance and state license

Full Malpractice/Tail covered

Any thoughts would be really appreciated

Are you kidding me? 78k and a great package to get trained and learn how to take care of critically I'll patient's?

Where do I sign???

Run, do not walk, and take this offer.

The education alone is priceless.

You will come out on the other end being studly and a PA who is not afraid of lines, drugs, and circling the drain patients.

Maybe negotiating is important... I guess it is..

So is recognizing a wonderful opportunity and realizing the inherent, lifelong, value this opportunity will add to your career.

Don't lose it.

Solid offer.  The salary is lower, but it sounds like they will basically be giving you a quasi residency in Critical Care.  I would take it, especially if you want Critical Care.  How long is the contract?  If it is a year then you should be fine with a solid renegotiation after that, or maybe put in the ability to renegotiate after a year.  Still a pretty solid contract and you will come out of the above with a very good grasp in critical care which will help in pretty much all areas.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived