Advice Please

I have been working almost 2 years in my first job as a physician assistant in the ED. I really enjoy my job but do not like the hours. Such a variable schedule is difficult with a family.

I have been looking around to see what is out there that has more standard, predictable, "regular" hours.

One of the opportunities I'm looking into is at a pain management clinic. This would be a 4 to 5 day a week position, with eight hour days. No holidays, no weekends, no nights, no call. I would be the second PA that is working at this facility with two physicians. They do not require any procedures but there is training available for that in the future. I would be seeing roughly 3 patients per hour.

The position is an independent contractor. I was told that medical insurance as well as malpractice insurance we need to be purchased by me and would be reimbursed by the company. Currently in the ER I am making $54 per hour and have full benefits and am on W-2 status.

One of my big questions is how much should I request per hour if I'm going to be an independent contractor? Have no experience being paid in that manner.

What other things do I need to talk about in regards to a contract?

This is only one of the few opportunities that I'm looking into you but I thought I would post on here to see if anybody had any wise words.

Thank you in advance!

I am an independent contractor in an ED. Basically, it is an hourly rate guarantee and malpractice is covered. That is it.

Your offer sounds legit, but hourly rate is low. You'll be paying FICA as an independent contractor, so that must be taken into account. You will pay more for taxes at the end of the year, and you'll be required to save money and pay in the taxes quarterly. One major benefit of being an independent contractor is you have deduct many more expenses since your self employed. I deduct around 20k a year. I just got a new job in urgent care due to better hours. I understand where your coming from. My hourly rate right now is 65/hr in the ED. I would expect no less than 55/hr in pain management as an independent contractor with no benefits.

Archived