Don't use fibrates for hypertriglyceridemia

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22910758

Seems like a lot of providers are still unaware of this. Use statins instead.

In fact, one should pretty much never use fibrates. Most studies on fibrate use are very weak and the use of fibrates as an adjunct to any other lipid-lowering medication is questionable.

What about for pts with stating induced myositis? I have used fenofibrates for some of my stating sensitive pts and though I have to adjunctive therapy like welchol or lovaza, etc., I usually am able to manage them while decreasing their CK.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

What about for pts with stating induced myositis? I have used fenofibrates for some of my stating sensitive pts and though I have to adjunctive therapy like welchol or lovaza, etc., I usually am able to manage them while decreasing their CK.

I meant statin. Stupid auto type on my phone

For my sensitive patients, I've had some success with pravastatin/Pravachol, which has the lowest rate of incidence of myalgia (fluvastatin has also low rates, but I've never used it).  I've also reduced to half of minimum doses qd or every other day and titrating up.  Rhabdo/myositis is supposedly very rare (1:30,000), so I don't think most pts who are complaining or leg/muscle pains are truly having it.  Evidence and results for statins are far, far stronger and greater than any of the other lipid-lowering agents - it's nearly equal to diet and exercise if I recall correctly.

For my sensitive patients, I've had some success with pravastatin/Pravachol, which has the lowest rate of incidence of myalgia (fluvastatin has also low rates, but I've never used it).  I've also reduced to half of minimum doses qd or every other day and titrating up.  Rhabdo/myositis is supposedly very rare (1:30,000), so I don't think most pts who are complaining or leg/muscle pains are truly having it.  Evidence and results for statins are far, far stronger and greater than any of the other lipid-lowering agents - it's nearly equal to diet and exercise if I recall correctly.

Ditto. The bottom line is to decrease CV risks and statins are the only ones which have shown to do that. So if my pt can only tolerate statin (e.g. Crestor 20mg qweek since it is longer acting or Pravastatin 20mg QOD), then it's better than than treating just the numbers (meaning TGs). In addition, I have also used Enzyme coQ10 when pts develop some mild myalgia which incidentally has just shown to be effective with heart failure pts (Eutopean long term study published in May I think). If the pt's TGs are high, I'd be checking A1c.

Archived