Surgical rotation question

Hello all, this is my first post after lurking for a few weeks. I'm currently completing prerequisites, as I am an English (lit) major. I'm planning on getting myself into the medical field, but I have a few health issues, one being numerous disc herniations in my spine. I'm worried about what a surgical rotation might entail, because it's painful for me to keep my arms extended out in front of my body for an extended amount of time. Think washing dishes-- something like that would cause me pain after a while because I have herniated discs in my thoracic spine. So, if someone wouldn't mind sharing, how often are you required to keep your arms extended like that? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but it's not so silly to me. :)

I compressed T9, T10, L1, L2 in a fall in 1998. I was working as a surgical tech while on active duty in the military and volunteering as a paramedic/firefighter. Needless to say, I was motivated to get myself put back together quickly and effectively. Two words for you... "Physical Therapy"

I know, you've already done it, you know all there is to know about it, it just doesn't work for you, whatevers. At the end of the day, it boils down to levers, fulcrums, and the cables holding it all together. You can't grow better levers, your fulcrums are sometimes set by situations beyond your own control aka: What you need to hold from what position you're standing in. The cables holding it all together is about the only thing you can have some control over. Swiss exercise ball is what got me back in the game...really drilled the core strength. Now I am older, fatter, less active, and still free of back pain. (knock on wood). I am a big believer in aggressive, sports medicine minded physical therapy. If your therapist is treating you like some grandma at the nursing home, find a new therapist.

Couple of other things.. buy some quality footwear and during surgery, do not hesitate to ask for a step stool. Even if you are tall enough, sometimes it's nice to have something to put one foot up on to change the tilt of your pelvis to give your back a little relief..not unlike the brass rail at the foot of saloon bar. It makes standing more bearable. They also have pads to stand on that will soften your stance a little. They help as well.

Thanks for your replies, rev ronin and Just Steve. I've had success with physical therapy for the larbral tear I have in my left hip, but to be honest I've never tried physical therapy for my thoracic spine. I actually herniated the discs in my thoracic spine while trying to rehab herniated discs in my lumbar spine. That probably sounds ridiculous, but unfortunately it's true. I tried to perform an exercise that was given to me on a sheet of paper at home and apparently I didn't do it correctly. I found out later that I had osteopenia, now osteoporosis, but that's another story. I've been practicing Pilates for a few years as recommended by my doctor and it's definitely lessened the pain, but it's by no means eliminated it. I just have to be very careful because my herniations start at T3 which puts me at risk for cord compression vs cauda equina syndrome. I think the step stool suggestion will really help me out. Anything that can take some pressure off my discs. Shoes are already very important to me because of my labral tear. I've been wearing shoes that promote more of a mid-foot strike, but I would probably need more cushioning in my heels if I'm going to be standing for long periods.

• 2 weeks later...

The step stool is something that was offered to me on many occasions, and I'm not short by any means. Sometimes it's just more comfy - don't be afraid to ask for it. Most general surgery rotations won't have you in the OR for long than 3-4 hours, and not all of that will involve stationary holding like you've described. The only ones I can think of that didn't allow me much room or opportunity for movement were thyroidectomies and parathyroidectomies. The abdominal surgeries involve retraction, certainly, but most times you'll have a chance to shift your weight around a bit.

Don't borrow trouble. In the worst case scenario, you end up flying through didactic and have an awkward surgical rotation where you feel like shit emotionally and physically. In fact, that is probably what would happen even without the disc herniation.  :-)

You can do anything for six weeks.

Thank you all. :) I think I'll do best if I'm forthcoming and if I just think of it as only a rough 4-6 weeks out of my life. It sounds like rather than trying to hide the fact that I do have a medical issue, it would be best to let those around me know. I didn't want to be seen as "lesser" than my peers. However, surgery will never be my thing and I am okay with that. 

Archived